Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Drive by wire, getting rid of another cable, Electronic pedal, not a wa wa
Gunn1
post Nov 24 2016, 07:52 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,670
Region Association: None

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Nov 24 2016, 06:48 PM) *

This is one of those questions where if you have to ask you really shouldn't be doing it...

The difference between an arduino and PLC is the hardened electronics. The coding is trivial, but I would really not trust the reliability of an ardiuno in a life or death application.

My car is going to DBW with an aftermarket engine controller, but using oem components like BarryM used for his car wouldn't be too hard.

The question was "Anyone have a drive by wire set up on their 914? Looking for a cable-less solution to throttle control. Would be for a stock 75' 914 2.0liter."

Never said I wanted to invent, or devise a system that would accomplish the DBW. I know a little bit about electronics and wiring, but nothing about writing code. I had thought there might already be a Kit (plug and Play) for purchase and installation. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
stugray
post Nov 24 2016, 09:07 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Nov 24 2016, 05:48 PM) *

The difference between an arduino and PLC is the hardened electronics. The coding is trivial, but I would really not trust the reliability of an ardiuno in a life or death application.

So you are obviously against DIY megasquirt then?

QUOTE(Gunn1 @ Nov 24 2016, 06:52 PM) *

Never said I wanted to invent, or devise a system that would accomplish the DBW. I know a little bit about electronics and wiring, but nothing about writing code. I had thought there might already be a Kit (plug and Play) for purchase and installation. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Sorry, the only reason I mentioned it is I already have an arduino system in my car, and I was just wondering about using DBW as a way to syncrhonize two carbs perfectly, all the time.

In fact it is doable and I had already worked it out.

My brother was trained by Guido Simplex for installing DBW systems and hand controls for the disabled.
We helped with this:
http://www.racekraftdesign.com/projects/tr...t-2013#more-521

And I work for the company that did this:
http://www.ball.com/aerospace/newsroom/fea...-grigsby-effect

But sorry I mentioned it, I guess it should be left to the experts.
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Nov 24 2016, 09:36 PM
Post #23

Wow great articles, and how fantastic to be able give someone who is paralyzed the ability to control and drive/race a car using todays technology (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) . I am not against technology or the DBW at all. Just wanted to hear others ideas on and if there were any Ready made options for purchase.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Nov 25 2016, 12:00 AM
Post #24

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(stugray @ Nov 24 2016, 04:22 PM) *

The project for a variable resistor type pedal is one of the most basic tutorials for an arduino:
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Knob
and is literally 10 lines of code

If you used the other type of gas pedal (PWM) & I had to read the PWM signal, it would be slightly more complicated as I would need to use one of the digital inputs to determine the pulse width from the pedal

I looked it up. AFAIK the TB is PWM and runs at 12v. So something will need to convert the pedal signal to motor rotation.
Also the TB has a feedback signal that tells the ECU what position it's in, just like a cable TB.
Add a feedback signal from the tach or speedo and you have cruise control.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Nov 25 2016, 01:20 AM
Post #25

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

I love my DBW in my 914. I'm running a Motronic 7.5 ECU and it's built in. I don't think I could ever go back to a standard cable.
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Nov 25 2016, 05:41 AM
Post #26

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 25 2016, 01:20 AM) *

I love my DBW in my 914. I'm running a Motronic 7.5 ECU and it's built in. I don't think I could ever go back to a standard cable.

When you say "I could never go back to a standard cable" what have the Benefits of the DBW been for you. I like that one of them would be a cruise control.
+Quote Post
somd914
post Nov 25 2016, 08:04 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 12,741
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Throttle cable tube is not a complex, expensive repair, and 40 years from now it will still be working or can easily be repaired, can't say that about today's electronics which have a short support life-cycle in all reality.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Nov 25 2016, 10:43 AM
Post #28

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(Gunn1 @ Nov 25 2016, 04:41 AM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 25 2016, 01:20 AM) *

When you say "I could never go back to a standard cable" what have the Benefits of the DBW been for you. I like that one of them would be a cruise control.

I like the feel. In the past I had to run the cable loose as the clutch cable would interfere slightly if the throttle cable was too taught. The action and feedback from the DBW is smooth. Cruise control is good too. I can also use my VCDS to calibrate the throttle anytime as well.

The ardino with stepper motor controller would be the only way to do it if your ECU cannot. This seems like a good way to make a custom unit.

My VW/Audi unit works like this:
Throttle pedal had dual potentiometers. One runs at 0-1V DC and the other runs at 0-5V DC. There is a comparator circuit in the ECU that looks at both signals to make sure the percentage of voltage matches. The throttle body has another potentiometer to provide feedback to the ECU and stepper motor leads. If the 2 pedal signal do not match ou will get an error code. If the throttle body does not match, you will get an error code. The code is a "throttle angle not as expected". My VCDS allows me to re-calibrate as needed. If I leave the battery disconnected (usually do) the system will run an auto calibration with the first key on. The battery has to be off for a few days or it will not auto calibrate.

The adrino could use the pedal potentiometer and stepper motor in the TB very easily. The feedback loop may be a little more challenging with coding.

There is the slightest delay from pedal to TB but this in not really noticeable unless you go from 0 to WOT in under a second. Since i do not drive like this, it's not a problem. For me it's just super smooth throttle response.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Nov 25 2016, 11:50 AM
Post #29

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(Gunn1 @ Nov 24 2016, 05:52 PM) *

This is one of those questions where if you have to ask you really shouldn't be doing it...

My car is going to DBW with an aftermarket engine controller, but using oem components like BarryM used for his car wouldn't be too hard.

The question was "Anyone have a drive by wire set up on their 914? Looking for a cable-less solution to throttle control. Would be for a stock 75' 914 2.0liter."

There is not kit and will never be one because there is no market for it unless cables become obsolete or banned which is not going to happen.

Someone would offer a dual carb setup before a stock throttle body setup since linkage on dual carbs can be more trouble to get right than a single carb.

And before you ask, NO ,there is not a bolt on kit for ABS brakes for a stock 914 2.0, there is not a bolt on kit for traction control or a bolt on kit to make the car self driving.

+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Nov 25 2016, 11:53 AM
Post #30

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 25 2016, 10:50 AM) *

There is not kit and will never be one because there is no market for it unless cables become obsolete or banned which is not going to happen.

Someone would offer a dual carb setup before a stock throttle body setup since linkage on dual carbs can be more trouble to get right than a single carb.

And before you ask, NO ,there is not a bolt on kit for ABS brakes for a stock 914 2.0, there is not a bolt on kit for traction control or a bolt on kit to make the car self driving.

Actually Bosch makes an after market ABS system. Not exactly bolt on but close.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Nov 25 2016, 11:58 AM
Post #31

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 25 2016, 09:53 AM) *

I've seen those, he wants something can be installed using his 90 piece Craftsman tool kit, not going to happen (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Nov 25 2016, 12:00 PM
Post #32

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 25 2016, 10:58 AM) *

I've seen those, he wants something can be installed using his 90 piece Craftsman tool kit, not going to happen (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Sounds like a challenge. I bet I could do it... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) I just don't like the price $$$...
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Nov 25 2016, 01:29 PM
Post #33

QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 25 2016, 11:58 AM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 25 2016, 09:53 AM) *

I appreciate the confidence (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 09:42 PM