Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drive by wire, getting rid of another cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gunn1
Anyone have a drive by wire set up on their 914? Looking for a cable-less solution to throttle control. Would be for a stock 75' 914 2.0liter. driving.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Gunn1 @ Nov 24 2016, 08:41 AM) *

Anyone have a drive by wire set up on their 914? Looking for a cable-less solution to throttle control. Would be for a stock 75' 914 2.0liter. driving.gif

That would be BIG ! smile.gif
bandjoey
Sounds like get rid of 1 cable to add 30 electric wires a computer and an electric server motor.
Gunn1
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Nov 24 2016, 10:53 AM) *

Sounds like get rid of 1 cable to add 30 electric wires a computer and an electric server motor.

No, don't think so. pedal with a transmitter and power supply, and a actuator motor with receiver mounted on the TPS with a power supply. Think the complexity is in the electronics. popcorn[1].gif
bandjoey
Bring it on. This could be your claim to fame. Will b watching this. smash.gif
stugray
This would be low complexity.

One arduino module (about $10, the size of a postage stamp) one variable resistance throttle pedal (Guido Simplex sells these) or a PWM model from modern car would work too, and one servo motor.

The arduino would read the potentiometer (resistance) via an analog channel (or the PWM signal via digital channel).
It would then drive one of it's outputs with another PWM signal to the servo motor.

The servo motor only requires power in and the PWM signal to command a position.

There would be a tiny amount of code in the arduino to "smooth" the signal but it would be trivial.

You just want to find a servo that has no problem driving the throttle input

Chris914n6
I've done the opposite on a 350z motor. What do you hope to gain?
Gunn1
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Nov 24 2016, 12:11 PM) *

I've done the opposite on a 350z motor. What do you hope to gain?

Cable tube in tunnel is in bad shape, replacement and or proper rerouting of new cable. Just saw it as a possible modern solution to take care of a old problem.
Mueller
QUOTE(stugray @ Nov 24 2016, 09:29 AM) *

This would be low complexity.

One arduino module (about $10, the size of a postage stamp) one variable resistance throttle pedal (Guido Simplex sells these) or a PWM model from modern car would work too, and one servo motor.

The arduino would read the potentiometer (resistance) via an analog channel (or the PWM signal via digital channel).
It would then drive one of it's outputs with another PWM signal to the servo motor.

The servo motor only requires power in and the PWM signal to command a position.

There would be a tiny amount of code in the arduino to "smooth" the signal but it would be trivial.

You just want to find a servo that has no problem driving the throttle input

The 2 Audi gurus that have done this conversion to their 914s would know best, but I am pretty sure the pedal has 2 pots, one +5vdc and one -5vdc or something like that, redundancy in case something goes wrong.

This is one of those projects that if you cannot figure out on your own you shouldn't be doing it, other peoples lives are at stake.
Rand
Don't feed the troll
Elliot Cannon
I'm a big believer in keeping things simple but I encourage people to do things like this. Sounds like a good project. However if you start something like this keep us all posted on the results.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Nov 24 2016, 02:28 PM) *

Bring it on. This could be your claim to fame. Will b watching this. smash.gif

Oh come on. He already has a claim to fame. stirthepot.gif happy11.gif
Mikey914
Sometimes best to keep it simple. Remember aircraft now use this feature in most production today. But , hundreds of millions of dollars went into design, and here's the real key .........Redunancy!

If you get into an accident and there's any possibility this apparatus could even be thought to have been involved, your hosed.
Gunn1
Your probably right, must likely the reason there is not a plug and play kit available. I'm not a liability attorney, but couldn't the same be said for some non factory modifications that potentially caused the accident.
Elliot Cannon
"Open the pod bay doors please HAL". "I'm sorry Dave". biggrin.gif
stugray
I knew a brilliant guy at work that would say "you cant TRUST those new-fangled PLCs!" (Programmable Logic Controllers).

I said "Then I guess you never go near factories or power plants or ride on elevators huh?"
I just got a blank stare.
Chris914n6
I think the tube is just brazed on at the firewall. There is a pic of a cut out tunnel floating around somewhere that would help.

For some good reading... Nissan FSM. Any of the 350z would be a good choice as they have specs. 0-5v and a redundant sender on the pedal. Wires to the ECU so off hand I don't think one will control the other without a translator (ECU).
eGas is a Bosch tech so most, if not all, of it should be compatible.
Mueller
QUOTE(Gunn1 @ Nov 24 2016, 12:57 PM) *

Your probably right, must likely the reason there is not a plug and play kit available. I'm not a liability attorney, but couldn't the same be said for some non factory modifications that potentially caused the accident.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/lok-xdbw-6...kxbEaAtAp8P8HAQ

Plus you need another module that cost $300+ .... see tab for other parts

So yes it can be done with properly engineered parts.
stugray
The project for a variable resistor type pedal is one of the most basic tutorials for an arduino:
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Knob
and is literally 10 lines of code

If you used the other type of gas pedal (PWM) & I had to read the PWM signal, it would be slightly more complicated as I would need to use one of the digital inputs to determine the pulse width from the pedal
jd74914
This is one of those questions where if you have to ask you really shouldn't be doing it...

The difference between an arduino and PLC is the hardened electronics. The coding is trivial, but I would really not trust the reliability of an ardiuno in a life or death application.

My car is going to DBW with an aftermarket engine controller, but using oem components like BarryM used for his car wouldn't be too hard.
Gunn1
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Nov 24 2016, 06:48 PM) *

This is one of those questions where if you have to ask you really shouldn't be doing it...

The difference between an arduino and PLC is the hardened electronics. The coding is trivial, but I would really not trust the reliability of an ardiuno in a life or death application.

My car is going to DBW with an aftermarket engine controller, but using oem components like BarryM used for his car wouldn't be too hard.

The question was "Anyone have a drive by wire set up on their 914? Looking for a cable-less solution to throttle control. Would be for a stock 75' 914 2.0liter."

Never said I wanted to invent, or devise a system that would accomplish the DBW. I know a little bit about electronics and wiring, but nothing about writing code. I had thought there might already be a Kit (plug and Play) for purchase and installation. idea.gif

stugray
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Nov 24 2016, 05:48 PM) *

So you are obviously against DIY megasquirt then?

QUOTE(Gunn1 @ Nov 24 2016, 06:52 PM) *

Never said I wanted to invent, or devise a system that would accomplish the DBW. I know a little bit about electronics and wiring, but nothing about writing code. I had thought there might already be a Kit (plug and Play) for purchase and installation. idea.gif

Sorry, the only reason I mentioned it is I already have an arduino system in my car, and I was just wondering about using DBW as a way to syncrhonize two carbs perfectly, all the time.

In fact it is doable and I had already worked it out.

My brother was trained by Guido Simplex for installing DBW systems and hand controls for the disabled.
We helped with this:
http://www.racekraftdesign.com/projects/tr...t-2013#more-521

And I work for the company that did this:
http://www.ball.com/aerospace/newsroom/fea...-grigsby-effect

But sorry I mentioned it, I guess it should be left to the experts.
Gunn1
Wow great articles, and how fantastic to be able give someone who is paralyzed the ability to control and drive/race a car using todays technology beerchug.gif . I am not against technology or the DBW at all. Just wanted to hear others ideas on and if there were any Ready made options for purchase.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(stugray @ Nov 24 2016, 04:22 PM) *

The project for a variable resistor type pedal is one of the most basic tutorials for an arduino:
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Knob
and is literally 10 lines of code

If you used the other type of gas pedal (PWM) & I had to read the PWM signal, it would be slightly more complicated as I would need to use one of the digital inputs to determine the pulse width from the pedal

I looked it up. AFAIK the TB is PWM and runs at 12v. So something will need to convert the pedal signal to motor rotation.
Also the TB has a feedback signal that tells the ECU what position it's in, just like a cable TB.
Add a feedback signal from the tach or speedo and you have cruise control.
Mike Bellis
I love my DBW in my 914. I'm running a Motronic 7.5 ECU and it's built in. I don't think I could ever go back to a standard cable.
Gunn1
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 25 2016, 01:20 AM) *

I love my DBW in my 914. I'm running a Motronic 7.5 ECU and it's built in. I don't think I could ever go back to a standard cable.

When you say "I could never go back to a standard cable" what have the Benefits of the DBW been for you. I like that one of them would be a cruise control.
somd914
Throttle cable tube is not a complex, expensive repair, and 40 years from now it will still be working or can easily be repaired, can't say that about today's electronics which have a short support life-cycle in all reality.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Gunn1 @ Nov 25 2016, 04:41 AM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 25 2016, 01:20 AM) *

When you say "I could never go back to a standard cable" what have the Benefits of the DBW been for you. I like that one of them would be a cruise control.

I like the feel. In the past I had to run the cable loose as the clutch cable would interfere slightly if the throttle cable was too taught. The action and feedback from the DBW is smooth. Cruise control is good too. I can also use my VCDS to calibrate the throttle anytime as well.

The ardino with stepper motor controller would be the only way to do it if your ECU cannot. This seems like a good way to make a custom unit.

My VW/Audi unit works like this:
Throttle pedal had dual potentiometers. One runs at 0-1V DC and the other runs at 0-5V DC. There is a comparator circuit in the ECU that looks at both signals to make sure the percentage of voltage matches. The throttle body has another potentiometer to provide feedback to the ECU and stepper motor leads. If the 2 pedal signal do not match ou will get an error code. If the throttle body does not match, you will get an error code. The code is a "throttle angle not as expected". My VCDS allows me to re-calibrate as needed. If I leave the battery disconnected (usually do) the system will run an auto calibration with the first key on. The battery has to be off for a few days or it will not auto calibrate.

The adrino could use the pedal potentiometer and stepper motor in the TB very easily. The feedback loop may be a little more challenging with coding.

There is the slightest delay from pedal to TB but this in not really noticeable unless you go from 0 to WOT in under a second. Since i do not drive like this, it's not a problem. For me it's just super smooth throttle response.
Mueller
QUOTE(Gunn1 @ Nov 24 2016, 05:52 PM) *

The question was "Anyone have a drive by wire set up on their 914? Looking for a cable-less solution to throttle control. Would be for a stock 75' 914 2.0liter."

There is not kit and will never be one because there is no market for it unless cables become obsolete or banned which is not going to happen.

Someone would offer a dual carb setup before a stock throttle body setup since linkage on dual carbs can be more trouble to get right than a single carb.

And before you ask, NO ,there is not a bolt on kit for ABS brakes for a stock 914 2.0, there is not a bolt on kit for traction control or a bolt on kit to make the car self driving.

Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 25 2016, 10:50 AM) *

There is not kit and will never be one because there is no market for it unless cables become obsolete or banned which is not going to happen.

Someone would offer a dual carb setup before a stock throttle body setup since linkage on dual carbs can be more trouble to get right than a single carb.

And before you ask, NO ,there is not a bolt on kit for ABS brakes for a stock 914 2.0, there is not a bolt on kit for traction control or a bolt on kit to make the car self driving.

Actually Bosch makes an after market ABS system. Not exactly bolt on but close.
Mueller
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 25 2016, 09:53 AM) *

I've seen those, he wants something can be installed using his 90 piece Craftsman tool kit, not going to happen smile.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 25 2016, 10:58 AM) *

I've seen those, he wants something can be installed using his 90 piece Craftsman tool kit, not going to happen smile.gif

Sounds like a challenge. I bet I could do it... idea.gif I just don't like the price $$$...
Gunn1
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 25 2016, 11:58 AM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 25 2016, 09:53 AM) *

I appreciate the confidence rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.