Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Member, Jumping into the 914 World
Costa05
post Nov 25 2016, 11:13 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,535
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(michael7810 @ Nov 25 2016, 08:43 AM) *

Welcome to The world. You've come the right place for great parts vendors, expert advice and obligatory abuse. There's a few good 914 shops in the valley plus 20th Street Auto has a bunch of 914s in the yard for parts. What part of town do you live in?

Thanks.... From what I have read in past two weeks on this site you are 100% right that this is the place for 914 owners. I did find that 20th Street Auto on the net the other day. Sounds like my best local source for parts. Needing a lot of trim, rubber stuff, upholstery items. May need a new engine (definitely a rebuild). Thinking crazy and might do that subaru swap if I need a new engine... Maybe. Oh by the way I am South Mountain area in Laveen.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Costa05
post Nov 29 2016, 10:37 PM
Post #22

Need advice on this build.... The car is a 1.7l that I believe is locked up for whatever reason (maybe sitting 20 years had something to do with it) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I was planning to tear it down, take it to a shop for assessment and maybe do a DIY rebuild. Here is the deal... the fuel injection was removed by PO. Replaced with a single weber carb that I am not even sure ever breathed air through it. I live in Arizona where the car would probably only see 60 degrees F. and higher when driven. No altitude driving likely either (1100'). Can I get away with a single or dual carb setup (cam corrected) or would I be better off trying to locate an affordable D-tronic setup? Not a daily driver by any means. Thoughts before I decide to suby the damn thing if engine is toast?
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Nov 29 2016, 11:24 PM
Post #23

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Do you like carbs? Do you understand them? Can you work on them?

If so, then a good set of duals are the way to go.

Do you like originality? Do you want to learn about old analog electronics? Do you want to have one specific standard of "correct" and be able to refer to a set of manuals for it?

Then D-jetronic is the way to go.

Do you want to learn about combustion? About tuning mixtures? About wiring and plumbing? About how fuel injection works?

Then Mega-Squirt is a good choice.

On an old car like a 914, there is no simple obvious solution in circumstances like yours. Each way to go has pluses and minuses.

...Oh, the only plus to the single-carb setup is that it is cheap. It has no other redeeming features.

--DD
+Quote Post
Costa05
post Nov 30 2016, 04:21 PM
Post #24

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 30 2016, 12:24 AM) *

Do you like carbs? Do you understand them? Can you work on them?

If so, then a good set of duals are the way to go.

Do you like originality? Do you want to learn about old analog electronics? Do you want to have one specific standard of "correct" and be able to refer to a set of manuals for it?

Then D-jetronic is the way to go.

Do you want to learn about combustion? About tuning mixtures? About wiring and plumbing? About how fuel injection works?

Then Mega-Squirt is a good choice.

On an old car like a 914, there is no simple obvious solution in circumstances like yours. Each way to go has pluses and minuses.

...Oh, the only plus to the single-carb setup is that it is cheap. It has no other redeeming features.

--DD

Dave thanks for the reply and advice. What would a basic entry level Mega-squirt system consist of? Resources (net, books, DVDs)? Having a somewhat engineering mindset (and patience) I am pretty certain I could somewhat grasp the setup eventually and maybe have the most fun toying with it on weekends. Besides this forum rocks with knowledge and engineering skills for advice.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Nov 30 2016, 04:25 PM
Post #25

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=megasquirt

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

There are some good threads on here about Megasquirt conversions, but seems like it's been a while. There's also Microsquirt that's simpler (same company).
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Nov 30 2016, 04:37 PM
Post #26

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

There's also Ljet for the fi. Most parts if not all parts readily available. 914rubber for the sun baked disposables.
+Quote Post
krazykonrad
post Nov 30 2016, 07:45 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 5,610

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

You are in the right place. I have yet to think up a question that someone here hasn't been able to answer.

Konrad
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Nov 30 2016, 09:44 PM
Post #28

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Nov 30 2016, 05:45 PM) *

You are in the right place. I have yet to think up a question that someone here hasn't been able to answer.

Konrad

What color is the fastest? Never seem to get a consistent answer
+Quote Post
Costa05
post Nov 30 2016, 11:07 PM
Post #29

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Nov 30 2016, 10:44 PM) *

QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Nov 30 2016, 05:45 PM) *

Konrad

What color is the fastest? Never seem to get a consistent answer

I am going with gloss black. You know the zero color, zero resistance, deep space sort of thing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 10:30 PM