Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oily grills, mish mash of mesh
23e Heure
post Nov 26 2016, 04:43 AM
Post #1

Busy overtaking 911s

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,057
Region Association: England

I am fitting a front mounted oil cooler, along with GT style GRP front bumper and lower valence with the opening to allow airflow.

Much as I'm sure Mittelmotor's parts are fabulous quality and (maybe?) period correct, I am not shelling out $675 plus shipping to buy a part like this from them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Oil cooler grill at Mittelmotor

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i13.photobucket.com-19057-1480157000.1.png)

So I'm starting this thread as I'd love to know the different the approaches folks have taken - both DIY and off the shelf solutions - to filling the opening and protecting the cooler from flying road debris.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i46.photobucket.com-19057-1480157000.2.jpg)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 26 2016, 07:44 AM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

It would be great if 914rubber would reproduce the part. I don't want to pay $675 but I would pay decent money for one.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
23e Heure
post Nov 26 2016, 08:09 AM
Post #3

Busy overtaking 911s

Member No.: 19,057
Region Association: England

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
RickS
post Nov 26 2016, 08:51 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,880
Region Association: None

Found fine mesh metal screen like in the first pic at The Home Desperate and cut it to size and molded it to shape. Secured with whatever I had handy. Cost was cheap.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Nov 26 2016, 09:11 AM
Post #5

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I think this screen may need to be stainless steel. In cars I have had in the past with front oil coolers I tried a couple different screens to protect the cooler and they all got chipped up and looked abused within months since they are so low to the ground. Stainless at least won't rust like my others did. Then it has to be black too.....I wonder if powder coat would withstand the rocks, etc.? I definitely would not drive the car without a nice tight-mesh screen to protect the cooler. I lost one cooler in the past due to rock damage and don't want to do that again.
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Nov 26 2016, 01:02 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 10,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(RickS @ Nov 26 2016, 06:51 AM) *

Found fine mesh metal screen like in the first pic at The Home Desperate and cut it to size and molded it to shape. Secured with whatever I had handy. Cost was cheap.

If it needs to be "bling", then get the real thing.....if it's for a track car, use some "rat wire" screen....

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 01:07 PM