Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oily grills
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
23e Heure
I am fitting a front mounted oil cooler, along with GT style GRP front bumper and lower valence with the opening to allow airflow.

Much as I'm sure Mittelmotor's parts are fabulous quality and (maybe?) period correct, I am not shelling out $675 plus shipping to buy a part like this from them blink.gif

Oil cooler grill at Mittelmotor

IPB Image

So I'm starting this thread as I'd love to know the different the approaches folks have taken - both DIY and off the shelf solutions - to filling the opening and protecting the cooler from flying road debris.

IPB Image

mepstein
It would be great if 914rubber would reproduce the part. I don't want to pay $675 but I would pay decent money for one.
23e Heure
agree.gif
RickS
Found fine mesh metal screen like in the first pic at The Home Desperate and cut it to size and molded it to shape. Secured with whatever I had handy. Cost was cheap.
Cairo94507
I think this screen may need to be stainless steel. In cars I have had in the past with front oil coolers I tried a couple different screens to protect the cooler and they all got chipped up and looked abused within months since they are so low to the ground. Stainless at least won't rust like my others did. Then it has to be black too.....I wonder if powder coat would withstand the rocks, etc.? I definitely would not drive the car without a nice tight-mesh screen to protect the cooler. I lost one cooler in the past due to rock damage and don't want to do that again.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(RickS @ Nov 26 2016, 06:51 AM) *

Found fine mesh metal screen like in the first pic at The Home Desperate and cut it to size and molded it to shape. Secured with whatever I had handy. Cost was cheap.

If it needs to be "bling", then get the real thing.....if it's for a track car, use some "rat wire" screen....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.