Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need Help To Convert 911 Stock Muffler For 914-6, I'm Sure Somebody Has Done This? Template? Suggestions?
Lucky9146
post Dec 3 2016, 08:52 PM
Post #1

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,942
Region Association: Southern California

Have a '74 doing 914-6 conversion running headers. It is an original Porsche muffler 2 in one out 911 muffler. Don't really want to go sport muffler. Engine is not yet installed so can't mock up. As I understand it it is a matter of clocking the outlet. I need to know if just clocking is true or how much the outlet needs to be modified or different outlet? Like to get this done now so it is ready for when engine does go in? Have the time to work on small projects but not on the car right now with other priorities and accessibility. Wondering if there is a template or documentation or something to do this? Appreciate any help. Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Steve
post Dec 3 2016, 10:51 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

It's easier to just leave the rear valance off and figure it out after putting the drive train in.
+Quote Post
PancakePorsche
post Dec 4 2016, 03:48 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 13,373
Region Association: None

The amount of work depends on which 911 muffler you have, they have a couple different outlet orientation. That being said, the muffler tip exits the same location as a 2 liter /4 car so use that valance as a guide. Correct -6 muffler has a 911 part number but is unique only to the 914-6. It will be easier to do mod after installed in car, or sell the family cat to help fund a Dansk 914-6 replacement.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Dec 4 2016, 09:03 AM
Post #4

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Much easier to orient the outlet with the engine in the car. The hold the valance up to the car and you will see what you will need to do with the tip to get it to fit correctly. If memory serves me the tip is angled down and outward slightly.
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Dec 4 2016, 11:35 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 17,273
Region Association: Southwest Region

I am at the same point somewhat... I have the headers and the 3.0-6 not yet installed. My plan was (is) to install the motor and tranny, then the headers / and then my recently purchased SS Dansk that mates to my 2.0 valence perfectly with my current bracket on my 2.2 four.

Then, while on the rack, I will fabricate the joining two pipes that mate to the headers and to the Danks muffler.

My question is more complicated. What is the difference in the innards of a 2.0 Dansk and a 914-6 Dansk innards? If there is little or no difference, i will save hundreds of dollars simply doing the fab-work on the joining pipes.

Has anyone done a reuse for a six of a dansk two in one out (for a 3.0) and, if so, can you comment on the sound quality verses biting the 700 dollar bullet.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Dec 4 2016, 12:04 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Dec 4 2016, 09:35 AM) *

I am at the same point somewhat... I have the headers and the 3.0-6 not yet installed. My plan was (is) to install the motor and tranny, then the headers / and then my recently purchased SS Dansk that mates to my 2.0 valence perfectly with my current bracket on my 2.2 four.

Then, while on the rack, I will fabricate the joining two pipes that mate to the headers and to the Danks muffler.

My question is more complicated. What is the difference in the innards of a 2.0 Dansk and a 914-6 Dansk innards? If there is little or no difference, i will save hundreds of dollars simply doing the fab-work on the joining pipes.

Has anyone done a reuse for a six of a dansk two in one out (for a 3.0) and, if so, can you comment on the sound quality verses biting the 700 dollar bullet.

Are you talking 4cyl muffler to 6 cyl muffler? It would work fine. I did it the other way for a client years ago using 6 muffler to convert to 4cyl for a 912e..

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Dec 4 2016, 12:08 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 5 2016, 04:03 AM) *

Much easier to orient the outlet with the engine in the car. The hold the valance up to the car and you will see what you will need to do with the tip to get it to fit correctly. If memory serves me the tip is angled down and outward slightly.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) ,only way really,PO supplied muffler had a large exit pipe tack welded on when I got it,wasn't to fussed with the clearance so I cut one weld and moved it.
Its a large pipe but I liked the look better than the puny sized stock one,it produces more noise for sure .Attached Image
I think there is a guide somewhere (Pelican forum?) to convert a one in one out later muffler to two one out,these mufflers can be bought used for way less $$,I did think of it as I have one that is in much better condition than the dented one I'am using now.
IMO the stock muffler is a well made and a cheap alternative to expensive aftermarket ones that offer a little more power,the downside is the weight however.
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Dec 4 2016, 12:09 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 17,273
Region Association: Southwest Region

I sure hop mb911 is correct as this 4 to 6 reuse is my goal to save about 800 bucks.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Dec 4 2016, 12:39 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Dec 4 2016, 10:09 AM) *

I sure hop mb911 is correct as this 4 to 6 reuse is my goal to save about 800 bucks.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Look m&k exhaust.com I was the original owner and designer.. So got a little bit of street cred lol
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 05:55 AM