Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Help To Convert 911 Stock Muffler For 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lucky9146
Have a '74 doing 914-6 conversion running headers. It is an original Porsche muffler 2 in one out 911 muffler. Don't really want to go sport muffler. Engine is not yet installed so can't mock up. As I understand it it is a matter of clocking the outlet. I need to know if just clocking is true or how much the outlet needs to be modified or different outlet? Like to get this done now so it is ready for when engine does go in? Have the time to work on small projects but not on the car right now with other priorities and accessibility. Wondering if there is a template or documentation or something to do this? Appreciate any help. Thanks!
Steve
It's easier to just leave the rear valance off and figure it out after putting the drive train in.
PancakePorsche
The amount of work depends on which 911 muffler you have, they have a couple different outlet orientation. That being said, the muffler tip exits the same location as a 2 liter /4 car so use that valance as a guide. Correct -6 muffler has a 911 part number but is unique only to the 914-6. It will be easier to do mod after installed in car, or sell the family cat to help fund a Dansk 914-6 replacement.
Cairo94507
Much easier to orient the outlet with the engine in the car. The hold the valance up to the car and you will see what you will need to do with the tip to get it to fit correctly. If memory serves me the tip is angled down and outward slightly.
forrestkhaag
I am at the same point somewhat... I have the headers and the 3.0-6 not yet installed. My plan was (is) to install the motor and tranny, then the headers / and then my recently purchased SS Dansk that mates to my 2.0 valence perfectly with my current bracket on my 2.2 four.

Then, while on the rack, I will fabricate the joining two pipes that mate to the headers and to the Danks muffler.

My question is more complicated. What is the difference in the innards of a 2.0 Dansk and a 914-6 Dansk innards? If there is little or no difference, i will save hundreds of dollars simply doing the fab-work on the joining pipes.

Has anyone done a reuse for a six of a dansk two in one out (for a 3.0) and, if so, can you comment on the sound quality verses biting the 700 dollar bullet.
mb911
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Dec 4 2016, 09:35 AM) *

I am at the same point somewhat... I have the headers and the 3.0-6 not yet installed. My plan was (is) to install the motor and tranny, then the headers / and then my recently purchased SS Dansk that mates to my 2.0 valence perfectly with my current bracket on my 2.2 four.

Then, while on the rack, I will fabricate the joining two pipes that mate to the headers and to the Danks muffler.

My question is more complicated. What is the difference in the innards of a 2.0 Dansk and a 914-6 Dansk innards? If there is little or no difference, i will save hundreds of dollars simply doing the fab-work on the joining pipes.

Has anyone done a reuse for a six of a dansk two in one out (for a 3.0) and, if so, can you comment on the sound quality verses biting the 700 dollar bullet.

Are you talking 4cyl muffler to 6 cyl muffler? It would work fine. I did it the other way for a client years ago using 6 muffler to convert to 4cyl for a 912e..

porschetub
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 5 2016, 04:03 AM) *

Much easier to orient the outlet with the engine in the car. The hold the valance up to the car and you will see what you will need to do with the tip to get it to fit correctly. If memory serves me the tip is angled down and outward slightly.

agree.gif ,only way really,PO supplied muffler had a large exit pipe tack welded on when I got it,wasn't to fussed with the clearance so I cut one weld and moved it.
Its a large pipe but I liked the look better than the puny sized stock one,it produces more noise for sure .Click to view attachment
I think there is a guide somewhere (Pelican forum?) to convert a one in one out later muffler to two one out,these mufflers can be bought used for way less $$,I did think of it as I have one that is in much better condition than the dented one I'am using now.
IMO the stock muffler is a well made and a cheap alternative to expensive aftermarket ones that offer a little more power,the downside is the weight however.
forrestkhaag
I sure hop mb911 is correct as this 4 to 6 reuse is my goal to save about 800 bucks.... piratenanner.gif

beerchug.gif
mb911
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Dec 4 2016, 10:09 AM) *

I sure hop mb911 is correct as this 4 to 6 reuse is my goal to save about 800 bucks.... piratenanner.gif

beerchug.gif

Look m&k exhaust.com I was the original owner and designer.. So got a little bit of street cred lol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.