Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stock front torsion bar size 17.9mm?, do I have the wrong ones,how can I check?
porschetub
post Dec 4 2016, 01:48 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

Car has very firm ride in the front,I have Bilstein inserts in Boge struts but the ride is really bone jarring to the point that I have disconnected the swaybar to try and soften it up a little which it did.
Previous to unhooking the swaybar I couldn't even bounce the front of the car with my own weight,needless to say the car isn't that nice to drive (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) .
Is there an easy way to check the size,are they marked on the ends? I strongly suspect they are too larger diameter or not setup right (indexing ?) maybe,any helpful suggestions guys,thanks in advance.
PS front is only lowered a small amount.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Dec 4 2016, 03:16 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Might be wrong...but you likely need to pull one so you can measure it's cross section.
I don't believe torsion bar sizes are marked on the ends.
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Dec 4 2016, 04:00 PM
Post #3

The glory that once was.

Member No.: 1,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Pull one and measure it. You can use a 17mm and 18mm wrench to measure with. 17 should not fit, 18 should fit loosely. You could also have the bushings for the control arms be frozen solid, and not allowing any motion of the suspension to occur. Had this problem at the back of my car. Shocks and springs were not the problem. Consider all possibilities and you'll be fine.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Dec 4 2016, 04:31 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE(raynekat @ Dec 5 2016, 10:16 AM) *

Might be wrong...but you likely need to pull one so you can measure it's cross section.
I don't believe torsion bar sizes are marked on the ends.

Thanks was just hoping....... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Dec 4 2016, 05:05 PM
Post #5

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Stock lower control arm bushings?
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 4 2016, 09:42 PM
Post #6

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

IIRC they were originally stock only 16 mm front & 15 mm rear on both the /4 & -6, or I may have that Bass-ackwards.

FYI - My `73 were stock, Boge struts with classic Koni Sport inserts, lowered an inch & all front bushings replaced back in 1980-83 resto/rebuild, & it rode fine without any harshness nor bump steer.

So maybe the bushings noted above & proprer smaller sized sway bar with smooth yours out? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Here are the back-in-the-day Road & Track spec for my 73 2.0, but it doesn't list the sway/anti-roll bar sizes....

Attached Image

Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
///////

+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Dec 4 2016, 09:59 PM
Post #7

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

Torsion bars are marked on the end. Stock 914 or 911 with an L or R. 914 are rust color and 911 are black. Sway away are marked with a 4 digit group that tell the diameter and type ( 911 or 914) The one pictured are 21mm. I bet that is what you have. The sway bar is not going to make the suspension that stiff.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Dec 4 2016, 10:03 PM
Post #8

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

Stock is 15mm stamped on one end and rear is 16mm.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Dec 4 2016, 11:35 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Dec 5 2016, 04:59 PM) *

Torsion bars are marked on the end. Stock 914 or 911 with an L or R. 914 are rust color and 911 are black. Sway away are marked with a 4 digit group that tell the diameter and type ( 911 or 914) The one pictured are 21mm. I bet that is what you have. The sway bar is not going to make the suspension that stiff.

Thanks Bruce ,great info,realized the swaybar wouldn't make it stiff,but disconnecting it give me some compliance (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) .
Bushing were replaced when the front end was upgraded to 5 stud and Brembo 4 pot brakes....according to the PO,I don't distrust him much ,and can see he must forget stuff afterall it was around 1997 when he did the work,I got a great deal on this car.....enough said.
Thanks Tom,will pull it to bits and see ,as you do (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) .
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 5 2016, 08:21 AM
Post #10

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

How low is your car? You may be riding on the bump stops. That's a shitty ride and the fix is free.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Dec 5 2016, 09:13 AM
Post #11

Release A upper cartridge nut and see if the control arm pivots freely. The relacement bushings could be binding. Are there zerk fittings?
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Dec 5 2016, 02:48 PM
Post #12

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Dec 4 2016, 08:03 PM) *

Stock is 15mm stamped on one end and rear is 16mm.

Not the torsion bars! Remember that the 914 doesn't have rear torsion bars, it uses coil springs on the rear! The fronts would be 17.9mm, as mentioned.

The sway bars are the dimensions stated above; 15mm diameter for the front bar and 16mm diameter for the rear bar.

--DD
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Dec 6 2016, 12:44 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Thanks to all, Dave,my research indicated 17.9 also,my swaybar is 15mm also,rear is yellow Bilsteins with 100lb spring...that parts great
Mark my car is lowered around 19mm in the front,can't go lower due to road conditions,car sits slightly lower in the front than rear,rear spring set to 5th notch on shock body.
Kevin strut moves up and down easily ,checked that when last on my friends hoist,did the ride height setting at same time,no grease nipples (zerk fitting) ,do you suggest I should do that,thought not as they appear to be rubber bushes?,would expect these for composite bushes.
I did a basic shadetree wheel alignment yesterday and test drove,ride has improved,certainly steering better also.
Will start pulling apart today and see what I have,will report back (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) .

+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Dec 6 2016, 01:06 PM
Post #14

Not the compression of strut itself but the control arm thru its range of motion. Other than stock rubber bushings on the control arm?
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Dec 7 2016, 02:26 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Thanks to all, Dave,my research indicated 17.9 also,my swaybar is 15mm also,rear is yellow Bilsteins with 100lb spring...that parts great
Mark my car is lowered around 19mm in the front,can't go lower due to road conditions,car sits slightly lower in the front than rear,rear spring set to 5th notch on shock body.
Kevin strut moves up and down easily ,checked that when last on my friends hoist,did the ride height setting at same time,no grease nipples (zerk fitting) ,do you suggest I should do that,thought not as they appear to be rubber bushes?,would expect these for composite bushes.
I did a basic shadetree wheel alignment yesterday and test drove,ride has improved,certainly steering better also.
Will start pulling apart today and see what I have,will report back (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) .

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:37 AM