Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 1.7 Engine Build Questions, Need advice on what I should know
Matty900
post Dec 5 2016, 01:29 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,454
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

My 72 barn find ( http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=275587&hl= ) is now starting to get a lot of work done so I can hopefully make it to lots of rallies next year. The car Has 50K original miles on a 1.7 that had some work on it previously making it a 1911 with Dlortos on it.
The engine is now torn down for rebuild with a little more power. I would like it to look as stock as possible but would like it to be a sleeper. I am considering 2.0 LTR FI and having everything else built. I am looking for suggestions on what you would do to the engine and why.
Thanks for the help

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Dave_Darling
post Dec 5 2016, 02:45 PM
Post #2

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Your 1911cc with Dells should be about as good as you can easily do. If there's nothing wrong with it, slap it back together and keep driving! Most especially if you are going to do an engine swap in the near to middle future, the cheap and easy way is likely the way to go.

For more power, you're looking at spending money that you won't get back. Either a nice cam and a bit of head work to wake up the 1911, or finding a 71mm crank and rods (and P&Cs) to make the 2-liter's 1971cc displacement, or a 2056cc. But the 2.0 heads are expensive, and your 1.7 heads would need a good bit of work to flow like those do.

If you can find a 2.0 engine complete with FI, that should be mostly a bolt-in. But those can be a bit hard to find with all of the bits on them.

Oh, a good exhaust like the Tangerine Racing header setup should provide a real boost in power; less-expensive headers will provide less of a boost and most mufflers aren't much improvement when using stock heat exchangers.

I do think the best option is freshening up the current motor (if it's apart) and just driving it.

--DD
+Quote Post
Matty900
post Dec 5 2016, 06:20 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 18,454
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 5 2016, 12:45 PM) *

Your 1911cc with Dells should be about as good as you can easily do. If there's nothing wrong with it, slap it back together and keep driving! Most especially if you are going to do an engine swap in the near to middle future, the cheap and easy way is likely the way to go.

For more power, you're looking at spending money that you won't get back. Either a nice cam and a bit of head work to wake up the 1911, or finding a 71mm crank and rods (and P&Cs) to make the 2-liter's 1971cc displacement, or a 2056cc. But the 2.0 heads are expensive, and your 1.7 heads would need a good bit of work to flow like those do.

If you can find a 2.0 engine complete with FI, that should be mostly a bolt-in. But those can be a bit hard to find with all of the bits on them.

Oh, a good exhaust like the Tangerine Racing header setup should provide a real boost in power; less-expensive headers will provide less of a boost and most mufflers aren't much improvement when using stock heat exchangers.

I do think the best option is freshening up the current motor (if it's apart) and just driving it.

--DD

Thanks Dave.
I am going away from the idea of anew engine swap on these cars now. I have 2 other cars that are better suited for engine swapping as they already have body kits on them.
My plan now for this car is" a nice cam and a bit of head work to wake up the 1911, and doing a good bit of work on the 1.7 heads to make them flow.
That being said, I know enough to know what I don't know, so I am trying to learn here. So I will probably ask some dumb questions along the way.
You mentioned "finding a 71mm crank and rods (and P&Cs) to make the 2- liter's 1971cc displacement, or a 2056cc
Do you have any recommendations for these, there seem to be a lot of options.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 09:29 AM