Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another Stupid Question
76-914
post Dec 5 2016, 09:00 AM
Post #1

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

OK, what's what here. In another thread Tom posted a factory data sheet re: '73 914. It list the Curb Weight as 2145 and the As Tested weight as 2460. Just curious because my water cooled 6 conversion came in as 2340 with a full tank, spare tire and tools in the trunk. I should add this was before I added the AC but the compressor was on the engine so I'm probably about 25 lb's heavier now. TIA, Kent (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Dec 5 2016, 10:01 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

So, when do you install the power windows, powered and heated seats, keyless entry door locks, powered side mirrors and Alpine stereo amp.? Or you could just buy a 928. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 5 2016, 10:11 AM
Post #3

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

That was probably the 73 R&T article which I posted Kent, which was based on the factory numbers in the owner's manual & other Porsche/VW specs..

Curb weight today would only include the car with all fluids full (fuel, oil, coolant, trans fluid, etc.) & a 150 lb driver. However, I don't know how closely that was followed back in the day.

So for your 6 conversion - fill all fluids, remove the tool box & other shittage, weigh the car & add 150 lbs for a "standard driver" to get your as-modified curb wt.

FYI - Full March/April 1973 R&T article on the "914-2":
Attached ImageAttached Image Attached Image Attached Image
> Note that I had my `73 914-2.0 up to 126 mph indicated on stock 165HR15 tires (IIRC it was at 5600 rpm - with a non-limiting distributor rotor), on I-15 through the Virgin River Gourge back in the 1970's (after midnight), so the performance specs from Porsche were often understated.

(I'll have to hunt to find my pix of the earlier Jan-Feb 1973 MT "914S" article, in order to post it in a later post.)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 5 2016, 10:46 AM
Post #4

TMI....

FYI #2 - Jan-Feb 1973 MT "914S" article:

Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
> Note that between this article & the later April R&T one, the "naming" was changed from "914S" by Porsche, when R&T used 914-2, & later Porsche used 914-2.0 "officially", but continued to use up Porsche+Audi's (USA & Canada) 1973 MY sales brochures with "914S" until they were gone & replaced with later ones using "914-2.0" which IIRC wasn't until the 74 MY introduction.

Also note that the 914S mpg at 18-22 is way off the actual later R&T specs & in real life was up to the mid-30's mpg highway. In real life LA/SoCal area use, I regularly got 25-30 mpg city & 30-35 mpg highway on trips ... sometimes as high as 39 mpg.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 5 2016, 11:11 AM
Post #5

TMI....

FYI #3 - Specs from 73 MY Porsche+Audi official sales brochure (both 4 & 13 page versions similar chart, this is the 4 pg one) for the USA dealers (Canada used Imperial Gallons), which I had both from my 72-73 "starving college student drool visits" to the SoCAl Porsche+Audi dealers (printed Aug 1972 - apologies for my camera strap over the lower right corner info):

Attached Image
> Note that later in the 73 MY Porsche+Audi also had a version called "(14-2.0 Sport" which dropped the included Appearance Group of the "914S" & maintained the Performance Group of options (Fuchs 2L wheels & F & R sway bars), of which Dave K's Orange/Black is a beautiful example (I don't recall seeing a brochure with any "914-2.0 Sport" designation printed, but Jeff Bolsby's 914 classic website's Model Numbers section does list a model number set for both the "914S" fully loaded 914-2.0 & "914-2.0 Sport" equipment packages, with the variances for CA, 49 state & ROW sub-versions). This was done to keep the performance which saving costs & lower the price, as the W. German DM escalated vs. the dollar & jacked up the prices of the fully loaded "914S" package from $5299 WCPOE to over $7200 in less than 12 months! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 5 2016, 01:13 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 5 2016, 08:01 AM) *

So, when do you install the power windows, powered and heated seats, keyless entry door locks, powered side mirrors and Alpine stereo amp.? Or you could just buy a 928. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)

Why would I need powered windows? I have a functioning heater & A/C. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Powered seats; no. I never move them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) Unlike some old Fart I know, I'm still able to get in & out of mine without having to move the seat. I already have heated seats; eat your Heart out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) At this age if I do keyless entry I'd forget the code. Mirrors? They don't get moved either so don't need 'em. And when you have an injected 6 who wants to listen to the stereo? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) That's to drown out those carbed 4 bangers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 5 2016, 01:22 PM
Post #7

Tom, 2138 dry + 15gal gas = ~93lb's + 5qt's oil = ~9lb's = 2240 I left out brake fluid but does that sound close? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Dec 5 2016, 03:39 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 5 2016, 11:13 AM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 5 2016, 08:01 AM) *

Why would I need powered windows? I have a functioning heater & A/C. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Powered seats; no. I never move them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) Unlike some old Fart I know, I'm still able to get in & out of mine without having to move the seat. I already have heated seats; eat your Heart out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) At this age if I do keyless entry I'd forget the code. Mirrors? They don't get moved either so don't need 'em. And when you have an injected 6 who wants to listen to the stereo? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) That's to drown out those carbed 4 bangers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

You think crawling in and out of my 914 is bad, you should hear all the "old man" noises I make when I have to get in that Cessna 150. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:56 PM