Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What the damn hell?!, Was my carb fuel pump really wired like this??
Optimusglen
post Dec 9 2016, 08:43 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,709
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I've been steadily marching through my project.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=277349

And I came to the fuel pump. I'm doing an entire new fuel system because of the unknowns and the pursuit of peace-of-mind. Anyway, a few weeks ago I pulled the old low pressure pump (located in the engine bay) and the fuel lines, but had left the wiring.

Last night I was under there and decided to see how they wired this thing. There was one yellow wire coming from it, it was outside of the wound loom but otherwise ran alongside it. Crawled inside and found it near the firewall, pulled it out, then moved up to the other end of the tunnel, found it there and pulled it out. Traced it up under the dash only to find...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-19709-1481294601.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.feelsengine.com-19709-1481294602.2.jpg)

It's the yellow wire with the tab of masking tape. It's running to the back of a gauge. What gauge you ask?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-19709-1481294602.3.jpg)

So now I have to ask myself it was really the yellow wire that I had pulled off the fuel pump. I mean, could this have any possible way to actually power the pump?!
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Dec 9 2016, 09:55 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482

Fuel pressure gauge on the left. Definitely a previous owner's kluged wiring job. If you're replacing the fuel system, move the fuel pump up front by the steering rack. Porsche actually did this modification in the last years of production with a removable plate in the front firewall.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Dec 9 2016, 10:00 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Dec 9 2016, 09:55 AM) *

Fuel pressure gauge on the left. Definitely a previous owner's kluged wiring job. If you're replacing the fuel system, move the fuel pump up front by the steering rack. Porsche actually did this modification in the last years of production with a removable plate in the front firewall.

Yeah, dealing with previous owners messy wiring hacks is going to be a pain. Fortunately the rest of the wiring looks intact and original.

And yes, I actually mounted the new pump and filter in the front trunk, I wanted it away from the elements but also accessible.

Not sure what that fuel pressure gauge is wired to... I'll probably yank it though. When I redo all the wiring I'll solder and heat shrink.
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Dec 9 2016, 11:46 AM
Post #4

Been doing some more research and found that either I mistook that yellow wire as coming from the fuel pump, or someone hooked that up in error. Still not sure how they powered the pump, I'll have to dig into it more next time I'm in the garage.
+Quote Post
zambezi
post Dec 9 2016, 11:47 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 8,920
Region Association: South East States

Looks like the yellow wire is on the ground terminal
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Dec 9 2016, 12:54 PM
Post #6

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

I had a car in here recently that had the fuel pump relocated up front, and they ran the power through the unused fuel line to the coil.
+Quote Post
anderssj
post Dec 9 2016, 03:58 PM
Post #7

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

?????

The only thing I've seen remotely resembling that set-up is when an oil pressure switch/warning light is used to control the fuel pump on carb'ed car. No oil pressure = no current to the pump.

The theory is that the oil pressure switch functions as a "safety switch" cutting off power to the fuel pump if there's an accident that stalls the engine . . . .

On the other hand, if the engine simply stalls it might take longer to restart; it may also make the initial cold start harder on the battery (first you have to get oil pressure, then the pump comes on, etc., etc.)

But from the pictures you've shown . . . . ????? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Stay warm up there!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 08:10 AM