Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Finally Building my Workshop...Please critique, Yes...914 content!
billh1963
post Dec 9 2016, 09:43 AM
Post #1

Car Hoarder!

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

So, after several false starts I'm finally building my workshop for my 914's and other stuff. Will be breaking ground right after the first of the year.

Building will be a truss 40x50 (2000 sq. ft.) with a 6" foundation (3500 psi).

Walls are 12'. Windows will be 8' off the ground. This will provide some light, opportunity for airflow and the height will help with security. 4 rollup doors and one walk through.

Walls and ceiling will have closed cell R12 insulation.

I'm finalizing the layout of the doors and windows over the next few days before the build order goes in. Once the order goes in it will be an 8 week wait for delivery then 2-3 days installation.

The bathroom and tool room will be built later so there is flexibility in that. Of course, the location of the bathroom fixtures will be set once the foundation is poured.

The building (door openings, windows, etc) are drawn to scale as are the cars (911 dimensions).

So, any suggestions on layout? NOTE: The rollup doors on the end are better suited for the land it's going on. Plus, as a bonus, placing them on the end is less expensive than side doors.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 39)
billh1963
post Dec 9 2016, 04:17 PM
Post #21

Car Hoarder!

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 9 2016, 03:08 PM) *

At 12' stud ht., you're probably already at 2x6 studs per local code, & you can probably still be 2x6 at 14' ht., which will give you more clearance to park 2x on/under the lifts, & to put a taller car/truck/suv on the lift at full height extension.

Also, forget the space age stuff, & go with either 6" sprayed in foam or fiberglass rolled batt insulation (former can be done by a pro or some self-applied kits, latter are available at Home Despot & most other DIYs), so you'd be at something close to R30-40.

Don't forget to do the roof/ceiling insulation too at R30-40, plus you can add rigid foam sheets insulation under the slab too for better thermal control in your area's winters (usually in the R10-20 range), & don't forget the moisture barriers under the slab, in walls & roof. Because you'll want the attic space insulated/moisture controlled for parts storage too.

Also make sure that all the roll-up doors & man-doors are insulated & weather sealed. .... ditto for windows.

You'll pay for the insulation in lower HVAC costs & smaller unit within a couple of years, if not sooner, with lower initial system purchase/sizing & running costs.

Also, make sure you have the site graded for at least 10% drainage away from the slab & driveway, with a swale(s) to carry heavy rains/run-off away from the "Barn" so you won't have any flooding nor moisture problems.

Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

It's a metal truss building...no wood.

With 12' walls the clear center height is around 15-16'. The center rollup doors will be 10x12 with the two smaller roll up doors at 10x10.

Interior will look something like this:

Attached Image

The builder uses r-Foil: rFoil information
Still researching effectiveness of that technology.

Grade isn't a problem...will be built on a hill
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Dec 9 2016, 04:19 PM
Post #22

Car Hoarder!

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 9 2016, 05:08 PM) *

Bill, if I understand your addiction correctly that might not be big enough? Plus where will you put the chassis Dyno? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Actually, I'm going to build two. The first is for the shop. Then another one later next year with fewer doors (and maybe no insulation) just for storage.
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Dec 9 2016, 04:34 PM
Post #23

Car Hoarder!

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 9 2016, 03:04 PM) *

Are you keeping your tools in a tool chest in the tool room? That seems like a pain if your actively working on cars.

It's really a place to keep my rolling tool boxes, welder (when I get one) and other stuff if I'm away. It's also a place to store my little used specialty tools, expensive spare parts (or parts restored during restoration and not yet installed), and stuff that I wouldn't want to casually "grow legs".
+Quote Post
DblDog
post Dec 9 2016, 04:55 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 3,578
Region Association: Northern California

...switch location of shower with sink...door can swing in and more room around shower at the end of the room...a thought.

Oh to have a shop !
+Quote Post
ssuperflyoldguy
post Dec 9 2016, 05:05 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 19,364
Region Association: None

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Dec 9 2016, 02:34 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 9 2016, 03:04 PM) *

Are you keeping your tools in a tool chest in the tool room? That seems like a pain if your actively working on cars.

It's really a place to keep my rolling tool boxes, welder (when I get one) and other stuff if I'm away. It's also a place to store my little used specialty tools, expensive spare parts (or parts restored during restoration and not yet installed), and stuff that I wouldn't want to casually "grow legs".

Empty conduits everywhere including floor & for electric car charging, hose bib's in side n outside, both sides, one of side bay's with a "swale" in concrete floor for water to drain out if you did do some pressure washing/clean up inside. Small lined catch pond instead of floor drain going to septic. electrical utility circuit inside at each corner & outside too. Small house keeping pad to put air compressor outside in sound proof room. Need conduits in pad too for air & power. Network access w multiple conduits. Have building manufacturer supply load capabilities for I beam track n chain lift n dressing game kills.... Be able to hang sound system n theatrical lights for us when we visit for a 914 function benefiting your favorite nonprofit. Not my first rodeo about sheds...just some ideas
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Dec 9 2016, 05:16 PM
Post #26

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

You need some sort of computer station or desk somewhere to be able to go through books, look up resources, parts manuals, look at youtube videos ect. Should have a power outlet and a cat 5 cable ran to it or at least within wifi distance.

Looks fantastic BTW!
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Dec 9 2016, 05:18 PM
Post #27

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

you're using the radiant barrier in the link? impressive stuff if it can lower the upper portions by 30*. that's really a nice space you're going to build.
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Dec 9 2016, 06:29 PM
Post #28

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Coolest garage I've ever seen had lights in the floor under the lifts.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 9 2016, 06:54 PM
Post #29

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

dp
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 9 2016, 06:55 PM
Post #30

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Dec 9 2016, 04:53 PM) *

QUOTE(914GT @ Dec 9 2016, 03:17 PM) *

Better check local codes on a floor drain. I know it would be handy, especially in snow country, but if oil, gas or antifreeze accidentally went into your septic tank you may have a big problem.

This isn't in snow country. Although, there are occasional flurries.

It's on my farm and, as far as a I know, there are no codes regarding such things. That being said, even though I am by NO MEANS a tree hugger I certainly don't want to pollute my ground water. I might look at putting in a catch barrel/basin.

Thank you for bringing that up.

Oil would totally kill your weeping bed/tiles. As in dig them up they're done.
So will latex paint and many other things that may get washed in a utility sink.

BTW no washroom in my shop, I pee behind the bushes.
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Dec 9 2016, 08:19 PM
Post #31

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Michael N @ Dec 9 2016, 05:16 PM) *

I think you are missing a space for a fridge, couch, and big screen tv. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I agree 100%. Without a beer fridge in the plans you'll have to redo them to accommodate one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
Costa05
post Dec 9 2016, 11:52 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 20,535
Region Association: Southwest Region

yea my shop is little smaller at 12' x 20'.......Beer fridge is in the house. Trying to find a place to store something is a bit%$. Some day I will get my big one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Dec 10 2016, 07:04 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Most floor drains have to be (french drains),meaning they just drain outside into a shallow area or pet, exposed. Again, this is not for anti-freeze, oil or paint. But nice to wash cars and wash down floors before painting/cleaning. Mark
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 10 2016, 07:22 AM
Post #34

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

We keep our air compressors outside. Thank god.
Outside concrete pad for washing cars, power washing parts.
Ceiling fans
Led lights
Use some hardware from a company like nest and control your hvac and view the shop over your cell phone 24/7. It also records and saves it to the net for later viewing and review.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
crash914
post Dec 10 2016, 07:32 AM
Post #35

its a mystery to me

Member No.: 434

Think about air flow for painting. you need to put the paint booth somewhere, at least plan on big ass fan and filter banks...
+Quote Post
Peashooter
post Dec 10 2016, 09:41 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 13,903

I see you mentioned a welder. One of the things I would highly recommend is a dirty room where you would have the welder, blast cabinet, grinders, lathe, etc. Keep all the dirt in one contained area. If I ever get a chance to build new that will be a must have.
+Quote Post
Jason74914
post Dec 10 2016, 10:00 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 19,544

Put in plenty of electrical outlets. I didn't put enough in my shop and I regret it. Run outlets to the center as well, not just the walls.
Also, a 220 outlet for your welder.
Finally, I would go with more windows. I only put two in, and it is a bit 'cave like' without some natural lighting!
Looks great though!
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 10 2016, 10:23 AM
Post #38

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(Peashooter @ Dec 10 2016, 10:41 AM) *

I see you mentioned a welder. One of the things I would highly recommend is a dirty room where you would have the welder, blast cabinet, grinders, lathe, etc. Keep all the dirt in one contained area. If I ever get a chance to build new that will be a must have.

That's where you are going to have to decide whether you have a garage or a shop or both. Our blast cabinet, even with a big vacuum, puts off a lot of fine dust, add in grinding and bodywork and we get a constant layer of dust settling in the cars. Do you want a working garage or a storage garage. It's impossible to keep cars clean in a working garage, that's why we added a second storage facility across the parking lot.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Dec 10 2016, 11:32 AM
Post #39

Car Hoarder!

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 10 2016, 11:23 AM) *

That's where you are going to have to decide whether you have a garage or a shop or both. Our blast cabinet, even with a big vacuum, puts off a lot of fine dust, add in grinding and bodywork and we get a constant layer of dust settling in the cars. Do you want a working garage or a storage garage. It's impossible to keep cars clean in a working garage, that's why we added a second storage facility across the parking lot.

That's a good point. That's what others have told me as well. That may be what building 2 becomes...
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Dec 10 2016, 11:59 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 16,283

If you havent poured the slab, I'd do radiant heat in the floor, or at least prep for it. Concur with the input to have a 'shop sink' in the garage as well as Bev fridge.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 11:10 AM