Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> auto transport - need to ship a 914, bought a 914 and need to have it shipped to me
seanpaulmc
post Dec 11 2016, 06:32 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,649
Region Association: South East States

Do you have any recommendations (good or bad) for cross country auto transport.

While over Thanksgiving holiday at my in-laws I picked up a '73 914. It runs but it needs too much work to drive it from Philadelphia to Orlando. I've never shipped a car before and what I've gathered is that these brokers (middlemen) hire the truckers, you pay a fee to the broker (deposit), and then hope the trucker is reputable. When the car arrives you then pay the trucker (in cash) yet the broker has no responsibility or liability. Any issues with the transport of the car have to be delt directly with the trucker. What could possibly go wrong?

I'm a newbie. This is my first 914 and I'm looking forward to getting it. That said, any advice on where to start with making it road worthy?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914forme
post Dec 11 2016, 06:50 AM
Post #2

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Not knowing the car it is hard to say:

This is my normal routine when I acquire a new used car.

Brakes - change fluid check operations. Most of the time I replace pads, hardware, and rotors. I change the fluid even if it looks brand new.

Suspension, I give everything a good going over. Depending on milage I will more than likely change the suspension bushings out. Shocks would also be on my list.

I trans I would go through, change the gear oil. Open up the fill plug first, as no sense on going on and drawing the fluid if you can't get the fill plug open.

while your down there check the clutch cable, any signs of wear replace it.

Engine normal stuff.
Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, confessor, air cleaner, change the oil. I would also check valve clearances and adjust them.

Fuel system, drain it, or dilute whats in there in a large amount of gas. Unless you know the age of the fuel. Replace the fuel filter.

Check over the tires well.

Then drive the thing noting items that need replaced and checked.

I also go over the electrical system just making sure the basics work. Headlights, tail lights, brake lights, turn signals. The stuff that can get you a ticket, or in a crash. The other items will rear their ugly head in due time.
+Quote Post
shoguneagle
post Dec 11 2016, 07:15 AM
Post #3

shoguneagle

Member No.: 84
Region Association: Northern California

The foregoing information is great once he gets the car home to Florida; but he needs to get it home. I have not shipped anything in recent years so I am very rusty concerning this matter. In prior years, I used a full service called Reliance which I still think is in business. All the shipping is arranged through a broker where the shipping paperwork, assignment, etc came from the broker and the actual transport including pickup, transport, and delivery. I believe Reliance handled all the brokerage and the shipping/delivery.

The point is: It can be expensive with marginal risks or lower costs with higher risks. There are many honest and trustworthy shippers who are bonded and insured.

Transport companies have to make money by arranging loads going to and from different locations. What this means is you car could be transient to a location where is made up of others waiting and then shipped to your location.

There is considerable transport movement up and down the East Coast so your chances of getting prompt delivery are much greater than in Southern Oregon (isolated regional area from the main transport lines). From my area we feed to Portland/Seattle or to San Francisco/Los Angeles

Hopefully people can give you good names off transporters and brokers. Do searches on the Inter-Net to get an idea of pricing, brokers, and transporters.

In sum, a broker is needed to take care of the arranging and getting the unit matched up with the transporter. I believe they are essential if using an outside transporter but they do not take any fiscal control of the auto, just the arranging of the transporter; the transporter is the one fiscally responsible for the actual movement. Both should be bonded and insured.

Hopefully this contains somewhat of the background information you need. Be careful and do not just create transporting based on low pricing alone.

I may not have described the relationship of the broker and the transporter exactly right but it does work something as I have written.

Do a search this site and any recommendations that members have used. This is one of the best sources.
+Quote Post
sixaddict
post Dec 11 2016, 07:34 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,961

Auto transport can be tricky
From the sound of your description the car may not warrant a high end company as the cost will also be high. Conversely the cheapest is probably to be avoided as they know how to make you regret cheap!
There are several and likely that mepstein in that area can be of some help....look for his posts and pm him.
I have not shipped lately so get someone who has as this is an ever changing situation so current experience is more pertinent.
Also go on pelican board and pm "sonjay" he currently has a 912 in cars for sale
He sells and buys and is in so Fla so might have good info
Good luck and welcome to he "afflicted"
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Dec 11 2016, 07:53 AM
Post #5

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

I have shipped a sh!tload of cars. So far, no bad experiences.

I have used Golden Key Express multiple times with great results.

http://goldenkeyexpress.com/auto-transport...=2&Itemid=2

I have also used Exotic Car Transport (Orlando based) to haul my higher end cars like Ferrari's and such with great results:

http://www.exoticcartransport.com/

Neither one of these are broker companies...they own their own trucks
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Dec 11 2016, 08:24 AM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

I used InnerCity Lines. Covered transporter. Used by folks like Canepa. Not the least expensive but I wanted to lower the risk as much as possible. Couldn't be happier with the result. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Rsjg911
post Dec 11 2016, 08:48 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 20,105

I used Mike to ship my 914 from NC to Ft. Lauderdale. Excellent, honest guy and reasonably priced. Good luck!
Ron

Car Shipper Mike Moore
Mobile (865) 742-9002
+Quote Post
Rsjg911
post Dec 11 2016, 08:49 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 20,105

Oh, and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Dec 11 2016, 10:10 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I used Reliable Auto Carriers to ship my 914-6 to Monterey, CA from Chicago (and back). They're not cheap, but were great to work with.
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Dec 11 2016, 10:47 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

You might check with a few of the local car dealerships and see what they recommend. They might know of local guys who would give you a deal
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Dec 11 2016, 11:02 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

That route is very covered by many carriers catering to northeast seniors travelling to
Florida. Thet're known as Snowbirds. South for the winter, back north for the summer.
Get online you'll find many and you can get competing offers even for an inoperative car.
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Dec 11 2016, 11:02 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 17,273
Region Association: Southwest Region

I would suggest first having your AAA Premier membership in good stead. Then, have the vehicle towed for free (within 200 miles) to the shipper's address for loading. That has always saved me hundreds of dollars due to logistics-convenience for the shipper / it can remain in his holding area until a truckload is headed your way.

Do the same thing when it arrives in your city. At he arriving holding area, have the car towed on a flatbed to your house. AAA doesn't want the liability of having a member drive a covered, yet unsafe vehicle / The company doesn't care why they are towing as they reinsure against that cost. Remember they are an insurance racket first and a service provider second. Use that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) to your legal advantage. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
N_Jay
post Dec 11 2016, 11:15 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 19,720

Except for a corporate move, my process has always been: U-Haul and away I go.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Dec 11 2016, 03:25 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

I've had good luck with car shippers all over the county. Do your homework, and maybe try Chris at Tangerine Racing, he might know of someone who knows the ins and outs of 914 Porsche shipping.

And,

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
RenoRoger
post Dec 11 2016, 04:26 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 12,370

QUOTE(N_Jay @ Dec 11 2016, 09:15 AM) *

Except for a corporate move, my process has always been: U-Haul and away I go.

My thought exactly. Load it on a U-Haul and transport it yourself. I have done it. worked out great. You are in control all the way.

RenoRoger
+Quote Post
Cal
post Dec 11 2016, 08:19 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 18,138
Region Association: North East States

I've used Reliable Auto Carriers to have my '74 shipped from Minnesota to Philadelphia....not cheap but excellent service. I've also used Thomas C. Sunday Inc.....they are located in PA and service the East coast.

http://www.sundayautotransport.com/index.htm
+Quote Post
Coloradocurt
post Dec 12 2016, 07:24 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 20,603
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I've used Angels Moving Autos and couldn't be any happier with the price and service.
Back last May I bought an 85 Carrera Cab that was in Baltimore. Memorial Day fell on a Monday, and the prior Thursday I called Angels and talked with Dina. She had a convincing explanation how professionally she ran her business, so I committed right then over the phone. A couple of emails and a deposit followed shortly, and the car was picked up 2 days later on Saturday morning. The enclosed 2-car trailer was pulled by a late-model, crew-cab diesel Silverado, and arrived here in the Denver area on Monday afternoon. Driver was completely thorough and professional. Very happy with their service, and I'm currently under contract again with Angels to transport a 914 I'm buying, moving it from South Carolina out here to Colorado.
+Quote Post
seanpaulmc
post Dec 12 2016, 08:17 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 20,649

Thank you for all the leads. The advice has been very helpful.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 12 2016, 08:21 AM
Post #19

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Sounds like you've got all the leads you need, but if you end up still needing help, send me a message and I can help coordinate with my shipper.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Dec 12 2016, 09:38 AM
Post #20

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

I hope to have this problem one day in 2017........
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 02:27 PM