Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How waterproof can a 914 really be made?
forrestkhaag
post Dec 19 2016, 12:21 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,273
Region Association: Southwest Region

A friend of mine that shared our 914 obsession spun out on Lakeshore Drive in Baton Rouge in the late 70" and came to rest side-up in the University Lake. It proved not to be waterproof as it took about 8 minutes to sink to the muddy bottom of the lake (in four feet of water......) When dredged out, the value remaining was minimal but it has several crawfish in the interior........... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wayner
post Dec 20 2016, 08:41 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 20,223
Region Association: None

It seems to me that this location where the roof, windshield and window comes together is the main area of in concern, Is that an accurate assessment?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bradtho
post Dec 20 2016, 10:33 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 11,165

That's certainly where mine leaks. Have you played with the wing window adjustment to see which position works best? I've thought about it, but never gotten around to it, and not sure which way to go for best results.
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Dec 20 2016, 10:50 AM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(wayner @ Dec 20 2016, 06:41 AM) *

It seems to me that this location where the roof, windshield and window comes together is the main area of in concern, Is that an accurate assessment?

It should fit like this.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Dec 20 2016, 11:47 AM
Post #45

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

I want to be able to go through a drive thru car wash with NO targa top! Sorta like the Ariel Atom.

+Quote Post
wayner
post Dec 20 2016, 12:09 PM
Post #46

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Dec 20 2016, 11:50 AM) *

It should fit like this.

Attached Image

My car is literally cut in half right now so it doesn't look like that but once I start putting it back together including new seals, can I expect it to leak a bit and if so is that the offending area, or is your car dry??
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Dec 20 2016, 03:46 PM
Post #47

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Thats the area where mine leaks too.
Its a total bitch to get it adjusted properly.

Zach
+Quote Post
Rand
post Dec 20 2016, 04:12 PM
Post #48

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Looks like the seal isn't even there in that pic? Guaranteed to leak! lol, I'm guessing you are just showing the location, not how it should fit.
+Quote Post
wayner
post Dec 20 2016, 04:51 PM
Post #49

The floor isn't there either right now so I suppose that it wouldn't matter if it leaked (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Fixing it as fast as I can (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Seriously though, unlike the 911 crowd that critiqued my last project, I figured this group would be all over engineering improvements
+Quote Post
Catorse
post Dec 21 2016, 09:58 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 19,106
Region Association: Southwest Region

My 914 is absolutely leak free.

It is however, hard to drive around with the tarp on :-)
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Dec 21 2016, 01:18 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

That area at the joint of the roof and the top window seal was the first place I had a leak,seems ok now I adjusted my striker plates and window class frames,it bought the glass inside the rubber further.
I'am not fooling myself it won't leak but I certainly have less road dust coming in,I have a set of Bruces rebuilt rear latches but need to order a rear roof seal of 914rubber before fitting these.
I have found Sika car body sealant to be great for small repairs in the rubber.
+Quote Post
wayner
post Dec 21 2016, 01:40 PM
Post #52

So if I am going to do some engineering work on this as my car goes back together ( using new 914 rubber seals etc)...

Once again is that joint at the window THE source of leaks or does the rest of the roof and window area also leak? ( assuming new and properly installed seals everywhere)

If someone with experience can be specific I'd appreaciate it.

I want to chase a practical solution in the shop rather than have to gain the leaky experience myself and delay my engineering work by a year

I'm not willing to accept the answer that this is just how these cars have to be.
Thanks

(And I'm happy to share my findings with any product companies like 914 rubber if they are interested)
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Dec 21 2016, 02:13 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(wayner @ Dec 21 2016, 02:40 PM) *

Once again is that joint at the window THE source of leaks or does the rest of the roof and window area also leak? ( assuming new and properly installed seals everywhere)

Yes - to varying degrees but other spots may leak also

I'm not willing to accept the answer that this is just how these cars have to be.
Thanks

Its a Sports car not a Sedan. Take a towel with you.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 21 2016, 02:37 PM
Post #54

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

Our cars were the intro model for Porsche, so much of the design, materials, fit and finish are basic compared to the higher end 911. All things on a car are also a trade off. The targa top on our cars are simple, light and easy to remove and install. While working towards a leak free cockpit is an admirable goal, it doesn't solve the rust issue of our little cars, probably the main reason most of us don't take our cars out in the wet.
+Quote Post
wayner
post Dec 21 2016, 06:06 PM
Post #55

First off, 911s leak also (even the coupes although less so) but can be made dry (although there are people in that community who thought the Porsche workers were gods and one should not tamper with their products )

Second let me repeat my request

Thanks

I'll weld up a steel roof if I have to but my preference is to keep the 914 a targa. It's going to take me some time to understand the problem I am solving so I can't wait. I'm already thinking

So, will anyone help me figure out the areas that I should focus my attention on my poor little 914?

(Oh, and as for me apparently I anger the gods according to some )

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 21 2016, 07:54 PM
Post #56

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

My shop pumps out high end 911's (rs-werks.com) so I have no problem with 911's and 914's playing together. Great looking car!

+Quote Post
bradtho
post Dec 21 2016, 08:00 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 11,165

I'm with you Wayne! I drive my car daily in seattle which means I have a fair amount of experience with the car in the rain. When I first got it, I got a full set of seals for the top from Mark and after failing to get much water-tight-ness on my own, I had a bodyshop with 914 experience dial it in. It would occasionally drip a small amount, but I would say it was "nearly leakproof" at that point.

Since then, I've had the car painted and it hasn't been as tight since then. I think about trying to fix it, but just let it drip some at this point.

I have found the main culprit for large amounts of water to be the header hoop area between the 2 A pillars. If any water gets into that seal, it gets pushed to the sides and drips in the spot you have identified, but the issue is really water inside the channel.

In addition to that, the windshield itself needs to be watertight, if water gets under the glass it also pushes up into that channel and drips at the corners. This is easier to see though because you can see the moisture under the glass.

I don't think there's anything you'll be able to do about the water that sits in the targa channel and drips in when you open the door and get in the car though. So regardless of success with the doors closed, you may need to keep a towel handy!

good luck and keep us posted. I'd love some pointers to try.
+Quote Post
wayner
post Dec 21 2016, 08:06 PM
Post #58

The last two posts were great ! ( the drips and the car comments ) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I have two strategies in mind:
1) leak prevention
2) water management in areas were leaks may be unpreventable

Now that I've heard that it may be across the entire seal and not just the corners, I've got an idea to experiment with

Thanks!

( as for the black car, among other things people chastised me for buying it in such crappyy shape I bought it in, and then when prices headed for the sky mid build, for not making it absolutely original and narrow. As you can see I'm not afraid to change a few things)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Dec 21 2016, 08:12 PM
Post #59

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

(Oh, and as for me apparently I anger the gods according to some )

There's a lot of us that have more than one model of Porsche, although a few will call a 911 a 'donor' for the motor (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

I was into 911s and 912s before the 914s came along.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Dec 22 2016, 10:23 AM
Post #60

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

The biggest problem I see with the seals is that most people try to pull the seals on the roof at the top of the window. Yes they can be pulled through the track, and you think that you have relieved all the tension, but in a month or more, the vibration / expansion and contraction will eventually allow the runner to return to the unstretched shape. Rubber has memory, and will do this, so even a small amount of stress will eventually cause this seal to mysteriously shrink.
The only way to avoid this is to install the outside edge 1st and them press in the inner edge. I making the seal about 1/4" longer than you think you will need. Install the roof and try to close the front latch. You will notice the seal will "beer can"or crumple in. Take a carpet knife and warm soapy water and shave off up to 1/8" and re try. Continue the process until you can see that seal is actually making contact and is under pressure, but not so much that it deforms the seal. This will allow for the best possible fit.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 05:15 PM