Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Floor Pan Replacement - Need How To Advice
Costa05
post Dec 16 2016, 11:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,535
Region Association: Southwest Region

Ok... after 4 weeks of grinding & sanding at the floor pan I think I can "get away" with just a front half replacement and salvage the rest. The pedal area being the worst with lots of cancer. Thinking I would start cutting spot welds from underneath on the section to be removed, but can't figure out how to safely raise the front enough to work on it and still remove front floor pan. I may...... have access to a hydraulic lift but was trying to avoid if possible (long haul). Need advice if you have a moment. Happy Holidays to you all. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Dec 17 2016, 08:07 AM
Post #2

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Costa05- I see you are new here. There are tons of posts about how to correctly lift and support these cars before you do any cutting and welding. Please spend some time reading all of the informational, educational, skilled threads here before you make a huge mistake. Cheers. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Dec 17 2016, 08:22 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

I replaced the front half of my floor with the front wheels on a pair of metal ramps. Not that I wouldn't have liked it higher but it worked fine.
Also: What Cairo said. Be SAFE! Wear your ear and eye protection. A good pair of protective gloves, too.
As to bracing the car, you only have to contact Chris at Tangerine Racing for a set of adjustable chassis braces - shamelessly featured in this very pic!
http://www.tangerineracing.com/tools.htm

Oh and post lots of pictures of your work, else well beat you about the head and neck with:
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)

Now get to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) so we can all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) over your car!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Costa05
post Dec 17 2016, 08:25 PM
Post #4

Appreciate the advice. Looking at bracing Tangerine Racing kit right now. Little pricey but likely well worth it. Ramps might be my only option to raise the front. Have not conquered the loading pictures thing yet. Thanks guys.
+Quote Post
Costa05
post Dec 18 2016, 09:08 PM
Post #5

Alright here it is a before and after photo. Not done by any means but you can get the idea. A heat gun to scrape away the sound deadening tar stuff. An air angle grinder with roloc discs and flapper sanding discs on a 4" grinder to strip to bare metal. There is actually quite a bit of shiny metal at this point. I was thinking of hitting it with a small media blaster to get the rust in the corners and tight spaces, then using a rust converter for the stubborn rust if needed and follow it up with an epoxy base coat and then a primer surfacer.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
cary
post Dec 18 2016, 10:11 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Can we see a shot of the passenger side ?
+Quote Post
ken1981
post Dec 19 2016, 09:38 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 20,679
Region Association: South East States

I just replaced my floor pans, and I did not need the front part of the drivers floor pan, and pedal mount.. If you want it, I will sell it to you cheap.
+Quote Post
Costa05
post Dec 19 2016, 10:56 AM
Post #8

ken1981 I am interested. Sent PM to you.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 05:24 AM