Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scraping the bottom of the barrel
Unobtanium-inc
post Dec 27 2016, 06:21 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,276
Region Association: None

The story is out, if you aren't an S Registry member you can check it out here. But if you aren't, you should think about joining, it's a great group and a nice magazine.
Even got the back cover!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RickS
post Dec 28 2016, 12:34 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,880

The value of the parts on those wrecks is astronomical. The S Registry is a wonderful site, but the money spent on restorations is mind bending. If you can get past the cubic dollars it's a good ride.
+Quote Post
bretth
post Dec 28 2016, 05:11 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 18,882
Region Association: Southwest Region

Nice article. There needs to be an Unobtainium car hunting reality show. Though any good classic car hunting show is always ruined by becoming too scripted and then not much reality is left.

Brett
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Dec 28 2016, 07:31 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE(bretth @ Dec 28 2016, 03:11 AM) *

Nice article. There needs to be an Unobtainium car hunting reality show. Though any good classic car hunting show is always ruined by becoming too scripted and then not much reality is left.

Brett

I've had two offers for a reality show and turned down both. We thought about it and decided a show would kill the actual business, so long after the show was over I would never be able to buy a car again. For the next 20 years I would be that TV guy and the prices would go through the roof.
Nope, no TV show for me.
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Dec 28 2016, 07:52 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

but you would sell the hell out of stickers and t-shirts...... Is Orange County Choppers still making motorcycles?
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Dec 28 2016, 08:34 AM
Post #6

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Dec 28 2016, 08:31 AM) *

Brett

I've had two offers for a reality show and turned down both. We thought about it and decided a show would kill the actual business, so long after the show was over I would never be able to buy a car again. For the next 20 years I would be that TV guy and the prices would go through the roof.
Nope, no TV show for me.

I think you are correct. Once your name is out there it's great initially for some notoriety and such and may even get you some deals. However, fame is fleeting and once it's over the baggage that comes with the fame sticks around. I believe that in the collector car industry not only would the prices rise if the seller knew a tv person was involved but there would be a lot of resentment as well that could cost you some deals.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Dec 28 2016, 10:22 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Dec 28 2016, 06:34 AM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Dec 28 2016, 08:31 AM) *

Brett

Nope, no TV show for me.

I think you are correct. Once your name is out there it's great initially for some notoriety and such and may even get you some deals. However, fame is fleeting and once it's over the baggage that comes with the fame sticks around. I believe that in the collector car industry not only would the prices rise if the seller knew a tv person was involved but there would be a lot of resentment as well that could cost you some deals.

I did a 50 car deal with a guy last summer, it took five years to put together. A guy like that would never deal with me if there was any chance of the deal getting out. The hoarders are all secret squirrel and you don't get those deals by being on the radar, it's all below. I might get a couple of cars from the fame, but the big deals would elude me, and the business is made on truckloads.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Porsche930dude
post Dec 28 2016, 06:12 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 13,819

Growing your u-tube channel wont hurt anything. You are always in control of how big it gets and you can still make money and document the finds.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 02:44 AM