Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Scraping the bottom of the barrel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Unobtanium-inc
The story is out, if you aren't an S Registry member you can check it out here. But if you aren't, you should think about joining, it's a great group and a nice magazine.
Even got the back cover!
RickS
The value of the parts on those wrecks is astronomical. The S Registry is a wonderful site, but the money spent on restorations is mind bending. If you can get past the cubic dollars it's a good ride.
bretth
Nice article. There needs to be an Unobtainium car hunting reality show. Though any good classic car hunting show is always ruined by becoming too scripted and then not much reality is left.

Brett
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(bretth @ Dec 28 2016, 03:11 AM) *

Nice article. There needs to be an Unobtainium car hunting reality show. Though any good classic car hunting show is always ruined by becoming too scripted and then not much reality is left.

Brett

I've had two offers for a reality show and turned down both. We thought about it and decided a show would kill the actual business, so long after the show was over I would never be able to buy a car again. For the next 20 years I would be that TV guy and the prices would go through the roof.
Nope, no TV show for me.
malcolm2
but you would sell the hell out of stickers and t-shirts...... Is Orange County Choppers still making motorcycles?
billh1963
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Dec 28 2016, 08:31 AM) *

Brett

I've had two offers for a reality show and turned down both. We thought about it and decided a show would kill the actual business, so long after the show was over I would never be able to buy a car again. For the next 20 years I would be that TV guy and the prices would go through the roof.
Nope, no TV show for me.

I think you are correct. Once your name is out there it's great initially for some notoriety and such and may even get you some deals. However, fame is fleeting and once it's over the baggage that comes with the fame sticks around. I believe that in the collector car industry not only would the prices rise if the seller knew a tv person was involved but there would be a lot of resentment as well that could cost you some deals.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Dec 28 2016, 06:34 AM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Dec 28 2016, 08:31 AM) *

Brett

Nope, no TV show for me.

I think you are correct. Once your name is out there it's great initially for some notoriety and such and may even get you some deals. However, fame is fleeting and once it's over the baggage that comes with the fame sticks around. I believe that in the collector car industry not only would the prices rise if the seller knew a tv person was involved but there would be a lot of resentment as well that could cost you some deals.

I did a 50 car deal with a guy last summer, it took five years to put together. A guy like that would never deal with me if there was any chance of the deal getting out. The hoarders are all secret squirrel and you don't get those deals by being on the radar, it's all below. I might get a couple of cars from the fame, but the big deals would elude me, and the business is made on truckloads.
Porsche930dude
Growing your u-tube channel wont hurt anything. You are always in control of how big it gets and you can still make money and document the finds.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.