Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> on a "normal" 914 where?, where should the oil temp guage sit at highway speeds
Will Hesch
post Dec 28 2016, 02:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,655
Region Association: Central California

Newbie here, mind you I just built a 2110cc engine for my faux Speedster and used a sandwich plate, external filter adapter, Setrab cooler (with fan) and built and ran the stainless lines with not a drop of oil from any and the oil temp is 180 day or night.

Our new (to us) '75 2.0 (injected) runs from the middle of the "M" in the word TEMP, to the middle of the "P" which is roughly (as you know) 3/4 of the way across the guage.

This worries me as we're in the middle of a California winter with temps maxing in the upper 60's to low 70's. I"m thinking (if we keep it that long) that this summer we're going to have a fried engine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Will
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Darren C
post Dec 28 2016, 03:18 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 18,255
Region Association: England

Hi Will,

In UK our summer is around the 70F mark and my 2.0L runs the needle between the E and M on the gauge on a hot day. Which makes your car seem a little hot.

I'd check the the thermostat, wire and flaps are first fitted (not removed by PO) and they're working on your engine.

If your able or inclined to take off some tinware you can check the oil cooler isn't gunked up externally and you have good air flow.
Check fan belt tension too.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Dec 28 2016, 04:15 PM
Post #3

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

That's about right. Your temps will approach the red line when cruising at 75/85 in 95+ air temps. The 75/76 model years run hotter because of the restrictive exhaust system. The head temp is more important to monitor than the oil temp.
+Quote Post
Will Hesch
post Dec 28 2016, 08:51 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 20,655
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Dec 28 2016, 02:15 PM) *

That's about right. Your temps will approach the red line when cruising at 75/85 in 95+ air temps. The 75/76 model years run hotter because of the restrictive exhaust system. The head temp is more important to monitor than the oil temp.

Exhaust is a Bursch with two "cherry bomb" pre-mufflers and a flat-can muffler, probably not very restrictive (no smog stuff at all).
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 03:59 PM