Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: on a "normal" 914 where?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Will Hesch
Newbie here, mind you I just built a 2110cc engine for my faux Speedster and used a sandwich plate, external filter adapter, Setrab cooler (with fan) and built and ran the stainless lines with not a drop of oil from any and the oil temp is 180 day or night.

Our new (to us) '75 2.0 (injected) runs from the middle of the "M" in the word TEMP, to the middle of the "P" which is roughly (as you know) 3/4 of the way across the guage.

This worries me as we're in the middle of a California winter with temps maxing in the upper 60's to low 70's. I"m thinking (if we keep it that long) that this summer we're going to have a fried engine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Will
Darren C
Hi Will,

In UK our summer is around the 70F mark and my 2.0L runs the needle between the E and M on the gauge on a hot day. Which makes your car seem a little hot.

I'd check the the thermostat, wire and flaps are first fitted (not removed by PO) and they're working on your engine.

If your able or inclined to take off some tinware you can check the oil cooler isn't gunked up externally and you have good air flow.
Check fan belt tension too.
TheCabinetmaker
That's about right. Your temps will approach the red line when cruising at 75/85 in 95+ air temps. The 75/76 model years run hotter because of the restrictive exhaust system. The head temp is more important to monitor than the oil temp.
Will Hesch
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Dec 28 2016, 02:15 PM) *

That's about right. Your temps will approach the red line when cruising at 75/85 in 95+ air temps. The 75/76 model years run hotter because of the restrictive exhaust system. The head temp is more important to monitor than the oil temp.

Exhaust is a Bursch with two "cherry bomb" pre-mufflers and a flat-can muffler, probably not very restrictive (no smog stuff at all).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.