Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbie 914 Misfire question, Idle misfire on cylinder 2
sterr11
post Jan 6 2017, 04:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,719
Region Association: South East States

Greetings to all, first post here, new to 914, but have owned 911 since the mid 80s. Currently own a 993.
I just purchased a 1976 914 2.0. Car looks pretty clean with no rust that I can find except a bit in the HH driver side. The battery side looks good. Jack points also look solid.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1135.photobucket.com-20719-1483740999.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1135.photobucket.com-20719-1483740999.2.jpg)

The cars has been converted to a single Weber progressive 2 bbl by PO, and unfortunately he no longer has original fuel injection parts. Car runs and drives, but is misfiring on cylinder 2, most noticeable at idle. Checked compression on all cylinders and it is 150 on all cylinders. Plug wires all are good and plugs look good.The spark plug on this 1 cylinder is lighter grey than the other 3, indicating to me it must be running leaner on this cyl than on the other 3. My question is how is this possible, or could this be caused by some other issue?
Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Steve
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mramber
post Jan 6 2017, 04:28 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 15,768
Region Association: Upper MidWest

That cylinder is lean, pull the idle jet and clean all passages with compressed air, both the jet and the carb. The rust is another issue... an ice pick will tell you how bad it is. Remove the pad on the firewall, it holds moisture against the metal. Good luck, I think you are just getting started with the rust stuff.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Jan 7 2017, 11:56 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
You're going to find lots of help here.....gotta be the best group of adults on the 'net.
Where in VA? I'm near Smithfield & got two teeners....PM me & come take a look.
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Jan 7 2017, 12:39 PM
Post #4

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

Interesting that your left side looks worse than the true HH right side. Maybe years of leave/debris accumulation? That leads me to think your car is probably pretty solid, all things considered. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Oh, and although I'm no carb expert, the fact that you've only got a single points me more towards air leak than anything else to explain the lean condition.

Good luck.
+Quote Post
sterr11
post Jan 8 2017, 10:29 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 20,719
Region Association: South East States

Air leak makes sense. Or possible partially clogged intake tube.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 01:35 AM