Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie 914 Misfire question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sterr11
Greetings to all, first post here, new to 914, but have owned 911 since the mid 80s. Currently own a 993.
I just purchased a 1976 914 2.0. Car looks pretty clean with no rust that I can find except a bit in the HH driver side. The battery side looks good. Jack points also look solid.

IPB Image

IPB Image

The cars has been converted to a single Weber progressive 2 bbl by PO, and unfortunately he no longer has original fuel injection parts. Car runs and drives, but is misfiring on cylinder 2, most noticeable at idle. Checked compression on all cylinders and it is 150 on all cylinders. Plug wires all are good and plugs look good.The spark plug on this 1 cylinder is lighter grey than the other 3, indicating to me it must be running leaner on this cyl than on the other 3. My question is how is this possible, or could this be caused by some other issue?
Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Steve
mramber
That cylinder is lean, pull the idle jet and clean all passages with compressed air, both the jet and the carb. The rust is another issue... an ice pick will tell you how bad it is. Remove the pad on the firewall, it holds moisture against the metal. Good luck, I think you are just getting started with the rust stuff.

welcome.png
wndsrfr
agree.gif and welcome.png
You're going to find lots of help here.....gotta be the best group of adults on the 'net.
Where in VA? I'm near Smithfield & got two teeners....PM me & come take a look.
Porschef
Interesting that your left side looks worse than the true HH right side. Maybe years of leave/debris accumulation? That leads me to think your car is probably pretty solid, all things considered. smile.gif

Oh, and although I'm no carb expert, the fact that you've only got a single points me more towards air leak than anything else to explain the lean condition.

Good luck.
sterr11
Air leak makes sense. Or possible partially clogged intake tube.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.