Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trigger point cam lube, What kind?
oakdalecurtis
post Jan 11 2017, 08:48 PM
Post #1

Oakdalecurtis

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

I'm installing some replacement trigger points in my dizzy shortly. I read somewhere to use a small amount of lube on the cam lobes where they contact the trigger points before reassembly. Can anyone tell me specifically what brand or type of lube to use that I might be able to get at my local FLAPS?
Thanks
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mark04usa
post Jan 11 2017, 10:57 PM
Post #2

'70 1.7 Tangerine

Member No.: 10,805
Region Association: Southwest Region

I use Bosch 5700002005 distributor grease. It is available online through Amazon and other sources, but it may not be available at your local FLAPS. I'm sure there are other lubricants that would work fine, but you did ask for specifics...and the Bosch grease is specifically what is called for. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
cary
post Jan 11 2017, 11:47 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(mark04usa @ Jan 11 2017, 08:57 PM) *

I use Bosch 5700002005 distributor grease. It is available online through Amazon and other sources, but it may not be available at your local FLAPS. I'm sure there are other lubricants that would work fine, but you did ask for specifics...and the Bosch grease is specifically what is called for. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached Image

What he said ...........
+Quote Post
PlaysWithCars
post Jan 12 2017, 12:18 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,323
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(cary @ Jan 11 2017, 09:47 PM) *

Attached Image

What he said ...........

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

It's pretty unique grease. Very sticky. I'm presuming to stay in place and not sling all around the distributor.
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Jan 12 2017, 03:30 AM
Post #5

Oakdalecurtis

QUOTE(plays with cars @ Jan 11 2017, 10:18 PM) *

QUOTE(cary @ Jan 11 2017, 09:47 PM) *

Attached Image

What he said ...........

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

It's pretty unique grease. Very sticky. I'm presuming to stay in place and not sling all around the distributor.

ty guys, exactly what I wanted to know!
+Quote Post
eyesright
post Jan 12 2017, 08:40 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 13,979
Region Association: Southwest Region

ty guys, exactly what I wanted to know!
[/quote]

I hate to admit being an old timer...but we remember that a tube of grease was always included in the box when buying points. It was a plastic capsule about half the size of a Tylenol capsule.

The English manuals will say add a little petroleum jelly (Vaseline) to the cam follower.

The last set of points I bought came from NAPA and the capsule of grease was included. A nice surprise. I used a dab and put the capsule in my tool box. I have used it once since then.

If you have a tube of Bosch grease in your tool box you will definately be known as hard core! And you will never run out! All your friends will ask to borrow some.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 12 2017, 11:31 AM
Post #7

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) ....with what all have said Curtis.

I also remember the included grease capsules & believe that it was formulated to not get to soft with the heat & high speeds of rotation & fly off.

Just a small smear all around will do ya', so you don't have excess all over inside the D-cap.

The ignition points contact to the cam is plastic & will wear out faster if not greased - as will the EFI dual points' contacts, so remember to lube the lower cam as well where they contact.

You can always tell when someone forgot the grease from the high pitched squeal while the car is running & rising with engine RPM! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Jan 12 2017, 12:13 PM
Post #8

Oakdalecurtis

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 12 2017, 09:31 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) ....with what all have said Curtis.

I also remember the included grease capsules & believe that it was formulated to not get to soft with the heat & high speeds of rotation & fly off.

Just a small smear all around will do ya', so you don't have excess all over inside the D-cap.

The ignition points contact to the cam is plastic & will wear out faster if not greased - as will the EFI dual points' contacts, so remember to lube the lower cam as well where they contact.

You can always tell when someone forgot the grease from the high pitched squeal while the car is running & rising with engine RPM! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

ty Tom, appreciate your input buddy.
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Jan 12 2017, 02:41 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

Attached Image

Looked at a few places but doesn't seem to be available anymore (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
pbanders
post Jan 12 2017, 07:29 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 805

It shows up on eBay from time to time, create a search for it that notifies you when a listing is posted. You can also buy any number of other types of similar distributor lubricants, just put a search into Google for "distributor lube" to find them.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jan 13 2017, 07:33 AM
Post #11

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

New recommended grease is Bosch 5-700-002-025-M114
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 08:53 AM