Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trigger point cam lube
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oakdalecurtis
I'm installing some replacement trigger points in my dizzy shortly. I read somewhere to use a small amount of lube on the cam lobes where they contact the trigger points before reassembly. Can anyone tell me specifically what brand or type of lube to use that I might be able to get at my local FLAPS?
Thanks
mark04usa
I use Bosch 5700002005 distributor grease. It is available online through Amazon and other sources, but it may not be available at your local FLAPS. I'm sure there are other lubricants that would work fine, but you did ask for specifics...and the Bosch grease is specifically what is called for. smile.gif

Click to view attachment
cary
QUOTE(mark04usa @ Jan 11 2017, 08:57 PM) *

I use Bosch 5700002005 distributor grease. It is available online through Amazon and other sources, but it may not be available at your local FLAPS. I'm sure there are other lubricants that would work fine, but you did ask for specifics...and the Bosch grease is specifically what is called for. smile.gif

Click to view attachment

What he said ...........
PlaysWithCars
QUOTE(cary @ Jan 11 2017, 09:47 PM) *

Click to view attachment

What he said ...........

agree.gif

It's pretty unique grease. Very sticky. I'm presuming to stay in place and not sling all around the distributor.
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(plays with cars @ Jan 11 2017, 10:18 PM) *

QUOTE(cary @ Jan 11 2017, 09:47 PM) *

Click to view attachment

What he said ...........

agree.gif

It's pretty unique grease. Very sticky. I'm presuming to stay in place and not sling all around the distributor.

ty guys, exactly what I wanted to know!
eyesright
ty guys, exactly what I wanted to know!
[/quote]

I hate to admit being an old timer...but we remember that a tube of grease was always included in the box when buying points. It was a plastic capsule about half the size of a Tylenol capsule.

The English manuals will say add a little petroleum jelly (Vaseline) to the cam follower.

The last set of points I bought came from NAPA and the capsule of grease was included. A nice surprise. I used a dab and put the capsule in my tool box. I have used it once since then.

If you have a tube of Bosch grease in your tool box you will definately be known as hard core! And you will never run out! All your friends will ask to borrow some.
Tom_T
agree.gif ....with what all have said Curtis.

I also remember the included grease capsules & believe that it was formulated to not get to soft with the heat & high speeds of rotation & fly off.

Just a small smear all around will do ya', so you don't have excess all over inside the D-cap.

The ignition points contact to the cam is plastic & will wear out faster if not greased - as will the EFI dual points' contacts, so remember to lube the lower cam as well where they contact.

You can always tell when someone forgot the grease from the high pitched squeal while the car is running & rising with engine RPM! biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 12 2017, 09:31 AM) *

agree.gif ....with what all have said Curtis.

I also remember the included grease capsules & believe that it was formulated to not get to soft with the heat & high speeds of rotation & fly off.

Just a small smear all around will do ya', so you don't have excess all over inside the D-cap.

The ignition points contact to the cam is plastic & will wear out faster if not greased - as will the EFI dual points' contacts, so remember to lube the lower cam as well where they contact.

You can always tell when someone forgot the grease from the high pitched squeal while the car is running & rising with engine RPM! biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

ty Tom, appreciate your input buddy.
Montreal914

Click to view attachment

Looked at a few places but doesn't seem to be available anymore sad.gif
pbanders
It shows up on eBay from time to time, create a search for it that notifies you when a listing is posted. You can also buy any number of other types of similar distributor lubricants, just put a search into Google for "distributor lube" to find them.
IronHillRestorations
New recommended grease is Bosch 5-700-002-025-M114
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.