Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

15 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bumpers, Stainless steel, Group buy, Gauging interest, $1200/set plus shipping
horizontally-opposed
post Jan 24 2017, 11:00 AM
Post #81

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

First, thank you for taking this on, Mark.

I'm not interested in the current rear bumper, and am only mildly interested in the front bumper. It's a maybe, maybe not.

However, if the front bumper can be had with a GT cooler opening that mates up nicely with a good fiberglass GT valance that's already out there, and your rear bumper can be had in the 1970-1971 style, I'd be VERY interested. I suspect other folks would be, too.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 24 2017, 11:39 AM
Post #82

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(zoedog @ Jan 24 2017, 10:03 AM) *

Hi Mark,
Just to be clear so there are no surprises later. Are the following statements true?

a) Bumpers come with mounting brackets
b) Front bumper comes with fog light openings
c) The finish is polished
d) Holes for attaching the rubber top strips are drilled

Thanks for doing this!
Walt

Of course to all, as stated when I said "no holes drilled" I'm only talking about bumperette (tit), licence and tow ring/hook holes.
All bumpers will not be drilled for these holes unless you choose the options.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 24 2017, 11:50 AM
Post #83

that's what I do!

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jan 24 2017, 12:00 PM) *

I'm not interested in the current rear bumper, and am only mildly interested in the front bumper. It's a maybe, maybe not.

However, if the front bumper can be had with a GT cooler opening that mates up nicely with a good fiberglass GT valance that's already out there, and your rear bumper can be had in the 1970-1971 style, I'd be VERY interested. I suspect other folks would be, too.

I am right now making the pattern for the GT bumper so there will be no mistakes.
I'm making it so it will fold in almost touching the body, that way you can seal it with a simple foam weatherstrip available at any hardware store.

I can't guarantee that it will line up with any fiberglass valance. The opening will be 19.5 inches wide by 1.5 high.

Just a thought but would members be interested in a paint grade Stainless Steel valance made to match my GT bumper?
That I could guarantee fits my GT bumper.

Do to low volume and the work I have to invest making a pattern it won't be group buy cheap, but it would be reasonable.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 24 2017, 12:07 PM
Post #84

that's what I do!

Just a general disclaimer:

The car I'm using to check the fit is my cherry, never been hit anywhere anyhow '74 914.
I'm also sending bumper tops so the fit of the top can be checked, I have good condition OE bumper tops on my end to verify the fit.
I'm doing a shit load of work here guys. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

If your car has been hit, rust restored, etc. etc. etc. I can NOT be responsible for poor fit.

These also should be considered 10 foot away bumpers, I'm trying for more like 5 foot away.
That means from 10 feet away they damn near look perfect.
If you're expecting absolutely perfect concours quality bumpers please do NOT buy these bumpers. Get your OE bumpers rechromed.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jan 24 2017, 12:19 PM
Post #85

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 24 2017, 09:50 AM) *

Just a thought but would members be interested in a paint grade Stainless Steel valance made to match my GT bumper?

Do too low volume and the work I have to invest making a pattern it won't be group buy cheap, but it would be reasonable.

It's a good thought. My car, like a lot of people's, isn't highly original and never will be. It's a mild-isa hot rod. So I wouldn't mind selling my never rechromed front bumper and nice 1970-71 rear bumper on to someone who needs them for a proper early 914 or 914-6 restoration. I've been thinking about rechroming them to get them perfect, and about cutting the front one into a GT bumper, but your option might be a better way to go depending on how nice they are. Not sure I need concours, but I do like things right. Or as right as I can make them.

I worry about you ending up out of pocket on this project, though—especially as some folks will want it narrow and others for GT flares. That said, nothing ventured, nothing gained. If executed well, this would be a NEW option for people, and a very interesting one. Some might want the bumpers in paint grade stainless, too, which might create a nice market for you there, too. I hear the F/G units just aren't suitable to everyday use.

All that said, I'd want to have a group buy lined up. But before I signed on, I'd want to see what I am paying for in terms of fit and finish.

Hmm...
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jan 24 2017, 12:23 PM
Post #86

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 24 2017, 10:07 AM) *

Just a general disclaimer:

The car I'm using to check the fit is my cherry, never been hit anywhere anyhow '74 914.
I'm also sending bumper tops so the fit of the top can be checked, I have good condition OE bumper tops on my end to verify the fit.
I'm doing a shit load of work here guys. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

If your car has been hit, rust restored, etc. etc. etc. I can NOT be responsible for poor fit.

These also should be considered 10 foot away bumpers, I'm trying for more like 5 foot away.
That means from 10 feet away they damn near look perfect.
If you're expecting absolutely perfect concours quality bumpers please do NOT buy these bumpers. Get your OE bumpers rechromed.

Something tells me I would enjoy hanging out with you. Straight shooter. When you say 5 feet, what "imperfections" do you anticipate seeing when you get to 0-2 feet?
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 24 2017, 12:25 PM
Post #87

that's what I do!

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jan 24 2017, 01:19 PM) *

I am right now making the pattern for the GT bumper so there will be no mistakes.
I'm making it so it will fold in almost touching the body, that way you can seal it with a simple foam weatherstrip available at any hardware store.

I can't guarantee that it will line up with any fiberglass valance. The opening will be 19.5 inches wide by 1.5 high.

Do too low volume and the work I have to invest making a pattern it won't be group buy cheap, but it would be reasonable.

It's a good thought. I worry about you ending up out of pocket on that, though—especially as some folks will want it narrow and others for GT flares. That said, nothing ventured, nothing gained. If executed well, this would be a NEW option for people, and a very interesting one. Some might want the bumpers in paint grade stainless, too, which might create a nice market for you there, too. I hear the F/G units just aren't suitable to everyday use.

All that said, I'd want to have a group buy lined up. But before I signed on, I'd want to see what I am paying for in terms of fit and finish.

Hmm...

Well you're just going to have to wait till I get the samples for pictures .
I'm going to get one of each to verify quality, front, late rear and a GT bumper.

And yes I'm going to be out of pocket if they suck. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 24 2017, 12:27 PM
Post #88

that's what I do!

Mark (mepstein)

What did you call it? "Herding cats"? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 24 2017, 12:48 PM
Post #89

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 24 2017, 01:27 PM) *

Mark (mepstein)

What did you call it? "Herding cats"? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Group buys are tough. I applaud you sir. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 24 2017, 12:52 PM
Post #90

914-6 GT in waiting

Do to low volume and the work I have to invest making a pattern it won't be group buy cheap, but it would be reasonable.
[/quote]

Yes
+Quote Post
zoedog
post Jan 24 2017, 02:25 PM
Post #91

Member No.: 20,553

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 24 2017, 12:39 PM) *

QUOTE(zoedog @ Jan 24 2017, 10:03 AM) *

Hi Mark,
Just to be clear so there are no surprises later. Are the following statements true?

a) Bumpers come with mounting brackets
b) Front bumper comes with fog light openings
c) The finish is polished
d) Holes for attaching the rubber top strips are drilled

Thanks for doing this!
Walt

Of course to all, as stated when I said "no holes drilled" I'm only talking about bumperette (tit), licence and tow ring/hook holes.
All bumpers will not be drilled for these holes unless you choose the options.

Excellent! Put me on the buyers list
Thanks
Walt
+Quote Post
fteixeira
post Jan 24 2017, 03:54 PM
Post #92

Member No.: 12,754

A bit late to this game, but I'm OK with being in the back of the line.

In for a front and rear.

Options C, D

PM sent as well. Thanks for making this happen.

fteixeira
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 24 2017, 04:27 PM
Post #93

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Mark I should have said thank you as well as I know what a huge undetaking this as I wrap up my heat exchangers group buy it is very overwhelming and with almost no money to be gained.

+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 24 2017, 11:23 PM
Post #94

that's what I do!

Thanks Ben and Mark

You guys have to remember these are off-shore made bumpers made pretty damn cheap. Not to mention what Ben said I'm not making much cash off of this deal.
The fact is if ask any NA fabricator to build them for this price, or even what the other supplier sells them for retail, and they would laugh their asses off.

That said I'm trying my best to correct the faults of the other companies bumpers and add some custom hole options. The sample bumper I gave the one side the brackets were off 2mm I've asked them to correct it.

The GT bumper, I made a drawing of what I wanted, but I know for sure because of the language barrier that there will be a fuck up.
So I've taken it upon myself to make a pattern out of kiln dried cabinet grade hardwood so that the opening is perfect.
I have 25+ hours into the pattern and I'm not done, because it's not perfect yet.

Take this pic, I realized the opening wasn't a full 1-1/2 inches tall and I forgot to take off the 2mm for the material thickness. This part was done and 98% of other guys would have said "fuck it good enough". But it's not good enough for me.
So I'm adding material to the opening to fix 3/16".

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 24 2017, 11:28 PM
Post #95

that's what I do!

I wanted the radius the same all around the opening.
It's beveled angle, so I can't use a router, so I made a custom cabinet scraper out of an old sawblade.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 24 2017, 11:34 PM
Post #96

that's what I do!

This is how it looks now. I should be able to finish it up tomorrow.
I spent 14 hours on it today, I'm tired, I'll tackle the final shaping and sanding in the morning when I'm fresh.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
djway
post Jan 25 2017, 12:15 AM
Post #97

Member No.: 19,266
Region Association: Southern California

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic...tainless+bumper

30 pages of misery with the Nam bumpers. I have no idea if they are the same people, this is just a heads up.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 25 2017, 08:20 AM
Post #98

that's what I do!

Edit due to non issue
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 25 2017, 08:45 AM
Post #99

914-6 GT in waiting

Take your time. Think on it. You will work something out.
+Quote Post
72914wrx
post Jan 25 2017, 09:57 AM
Post #100

Member No.: 18,298

I would love to have the valance as well. It would be nice to have a matching set .

+Quote Post

15 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 03:24 AM