Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bumpers, Stainless steel, Group buy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Mark Henry
Gauging interest, Bumpers, Stainless steel.
Group buy, ten sets and it's a go.
Note we now do have more than ten potential buyers.

Looks like $1200/set plus shipping, Shipping will be approximately $150. smile.gif
Yes sorry please note the price has gone up.

Shipping would be by UPS, Fedex or TNT what ever works out the best.
You will get a tracking number.

304 polished Stainless steel, thickness is 1.5 (.060) to 2mm (.079), the stock sheet is 2mm the bending and stretching means some areas get thinner.
With brackets, we can delete the tit bolt holes and the licence plate mount holes on the front.

Would at least be 8 weeks out, I have to get the first set for approval.

I will want a deposit say $250, the deposit will be non refundable*, but you can give/sell it to someone else.
Balance would be due before shipping TBA.

I won't be taking deposits till I approve the sample set.

If you have some points to make on what features you want or concerns you may have, now's the time to speak up.
So if your interested chime in, but please only if you are serious on getting in on the buy.

bye1.gif

*Notes
Price is not 100% firm yet, lets say it's 97% firm. If in the odd chance the deal doesn't pan out or if there's an unreasonable price increase the deposit would be refunded.
That said I don't expect problems either way.
Besides I won't be taking deposits till the the final approval and the price is nailed down.
Sorry my fellow Canadians...of course the prices are in USD.

Options

Note I have changed the option from "delete " to "ADD"
All bumpers have no licence plate, bumperette (tit) or tow ring/hook holes. (all bumpers will have the bumper top holes, fog light/grill square holes)
Please ADD the holes you wish to have.

Option A/ ADD tit bolt holes. N/C
Option B/ ADD front plate bolt holes. N/C
Option C/ ADD rear plate bolt holes. N/C
Option D/ ADD rear tow hook hole. N/C
Option E/ Front bumper cooler mod. $150 (guesstimate price at this point, final price and availability TBA)

Buyers list

JmuRiz, one set, option C, D, E *
maf914, one set, option C, *
sb914, one set
billh1963, one set, option C, *
mepstein, one set, option C, E*. note 2nd set likely PM before close
Norskpole, one set, option C, E (was delete A, B, D)
hoizonntally-opposed, one set
ED_914, one set, option E *
mb911, one set, options C, D
72914wrx, one set, option C, D, E (was delete A, B, D)
72914wrx, one set for his dad, option C
Bartlett 914, options none *
zerliq, option C, E (was delete A, B, D)
amfab,options C (was delete A, B, D)
olympic 1.7, set options C, D
bahnzai, set, option E
zoedog, set, option C, D
Mitox, set, option C, E
live free & drive, set, option C
jet1, set, option C
cuddyk, option B, C, D
JimFitz33, options A, B, C, D
Mikey914, set

DickSteinkamp, option C and E, set

live free & drive, front only, option E
JOEPROPER, Front only, option B,C, D (was delete options A)
pete000, two front only
DB9146, front

* member has checked their order

All bumpers have no holes unless you chose an option above.

Just a general disclaimer:

The car I'm using to check the fit is my cherry, never been hit anywhere anyhow '74 914.
I'm also sending bumper tops so the fit of the top can be checked, I have good condition bumper tops on my end to verify the fit.
I'm doing a shit load of work here guys. dry.gif

If your car has been hit, rust restored, etc. etc. etc. I can NOT be responsible for poor fit.

These also should be considered 10 foot away bumpers, I'm trying for more like 5 foot away.
That means from 10 feet away they look perfect.
If you're expecting absolutely perfect concours quality bumpers please do NOT buy these bumpers. Get your OE bumpers rechromed.
altitude411
*ATTEN MODS

Is this a spam thread? Are you gonna post it in every forum? poke.gif wink.gif popcorn[1].gif

Seriously

I'm interested in front bumper only. (no holes) Maybe someone only needs the rear? I'll split the costs... say 30-70? OK 40-60 (rear bumper is heavier) biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Jan 20 2017, 01:21 AM) *

Is this a spam thread? Are you gonna post it in every forum? poke.gif wink.gif popcorn[1].gif

I'm interested in front bumper only. Maybe someone only needs the rear? I'll split the costs... say 30-70? OK 40-60 (rear bumper is heavier) biggrin.gif

Likely I can help you out. shades.gif
Shipping will be more than half price.

But this is a good time to point out that Stainless isn't chrome, Stainless steel will be slightly duller than a chrome bumper.
So it won't be a 100% match.
altitude411
Copy that Mark but I don't think they make early rear? It's for my six and I'm tired of trying to find a front in good condition....
Mark Henry
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Jan 20 2017, 01:32 AM) *

Copy that Mark but I don't think they make early rear? It's for my six and I'm tired of trying to find a front in good condition.

On the /6 rear it could be done, there most likely will be an upcharge.

And I would need a sample bumper.
altitude411
So are these the stainless bumpers that are already on the market or a new manufacturer?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Jan 20 2017, 01:39 AM) *

So are these the stainless bumpers that are already on the market or a new manufacturer?

New, the other guys are $1700/set IIRC.
altitude411
*edit (re-upped my reading comprehensive skills) dry.gif
Ed_914
Can you do the front ones to incorporate the space for an oil cooler like I think Mcmarck has done on a few.
Coondog
Got mine at HPH. I know AA sells these also and there is a place in the U.K that also has them. I am assuming yours are from the same manufacturer......Vietnam ?

Makes no differance your price is better.....
For those who don't know the differance between stainless and chrome you would have a hard time telling them apart. My bumper shines up way better then this pic shows.

Click to view attachment
mepstein
I'm in for a set
Option A,B,D,E

Thank you
billh1963
I'm in for a set
sb914
Wow! Great deal. I had mine re chromed cost me ALOT more !
maf914
Mark, I am in for a pair (dependent on your final approval of course). Thanks for your efforts on this.
JmuRiz
I'm in for a set biggrin.gif

Option C/ ADD rear plate bolt holes. N/C
Option D/ ADD rear tow hook hole. N/C
Option E/ Front bumper cooler mod. $150

Update: I'm in for option E...that way if I need a cooler in the future I'm set smile.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Ed_914 @ Jan 20 2017, 04:23 AM) *

Can you do the front ones to incorporate the space for an oil cooler like I think Mcmarck has done on a few.

I think this can be done, there will be an upcharge.
I need the dimensions.
Mark Henry
I've added an options list to Post #1, please add your options to your reply.
No charge to deleting holes, it's actually less work. shades.gif
So if you want no holes at all type Options A,B,C,D

Also if you are in the buy your name will be on the first post.

Options

Option A/ Delete tit bolt holes F/R. N/C
Option B/ Delete front plate bolt holes. N/C
Option C/ Delete rear plate bolt holes. N/C
Option D/ Delete rear tow hook hole. N/C
Option E/ Front bumper cooler mod. $150 (guesstimate price at this point, final price and availability TBA)
billh1963
I want options A, B and D
Mark Henry
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 20 2017, 09:50 AM) *

I want options A, B and D

Done smile.gif
JOEPROPER
I would like only a front. Option A. Is that something you can do?

Joe-
Mark Henry
QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ Jan 20 2017, 10:18 AM) *

I would like only a front. Option A. Is that something you can do?

Joe-

There might be a slight upcharge, with the fronts the grill holes are a bit more work.
Plus I know the shipping will be higher than half price, in fact it may be only slightly lower than the shipping on a set. Still a big package.

When I know the price I will post it.
I'll put your name on the list, no commitment till I ask for the deposits.
shades.gif
horizontally-opposed
I'd be in for a set if the early rear bumper can be done.

Might be good to see more pics of the product. Are these the bumpers that are a bit different than factory bumpers, particularly where they wrap around the outer edges of the car, just under the bumper rubber? I remember that being a very minor difference.

Price is GREAT.
Norskpole
I'm in for a set

Options A, B, D & E
Early rear bumper, if available
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Norskpole @ Jan 20 2017, 11:48 AM) *

I'm in for a set

Options A, B, D & E
Early rear bumper, if available

Sounds good. smile.gif
The rear I've sent is off of a '73, sorry that will be the only one available.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jan 20 2017, 11:37 AM) *

I'd be in for a set if the early rear bumper can be done.

Might be good to see more pics of the product. Are these the bumpers that are a bit different than factory bumpers, particularly where they wrap around the outer edges of the car, just under the bumper rubber? I remember that being a very minor difference.

Price is GREAT.

The rear I've sent is off of a '73, sorry that will be the only one available.
I've also sent OE tops.
Once I get my sample/approval set I will post all the pic's. I've made them aware of the corner fit issues.

The bumpers will be test fitted on my mint (except for respray), never hit 914.
Fitment issues if your car has been molested, hit, bodywork, rust repairs, etc. are beyond my control.
Tom_T
Mark,

With the set for the 73 - will the front have the extra set of back-braces behind the tits - as on the factory bumpers - i.e.: 4 back braces - or just be a "bare" metal backside with just the 2 mounting braces only? confused24.gif

Also, will shipping cost vary by destination - further/closer?

You might also consider adding the 74-only rear with tit holes & back braces for others on here with 74s.

TIA for the info & Thanx in any case for doing this for everyone! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
amfab
I am very interested in a set Option—A, B and D.
I would like to see picts of the oil cooler option, and any other picts
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 20 2017, 12:43 PM) *

Mark,

With the set for the 73 - will the front have the extra set of back-braces behind the tits - as on the factory bumpers - i.e.: 4 back braces - or just be a "bare" metal backside with just the 2 mounting braces only? confused24.gif

You might also consider adding the 74-only rear with tit holes & back braces for others on here with 74s.

Tom
///////

Hi Tom at this price there will be no wiggle room for one year only options.

In fact I think the holes option may be off the table, likely they will come with no tit, licence and tow hook holes. But it's pretty simple to drill them yourself and I could make templates.

QUOTE(amfab @ Jan 20 2017, 01:00 PM) *

I am very interested in a set Option—A, B and D.
I would like to see picts of the oil cooler option, and any other picts

I can't do the oil cooler pic's unfortunately, all I can do on this is send them dimensions and the first buyer on this will be a guinea pig.
I still have to see if this option is doable on this buy.
amfab
Is the plan to do it like the GT opening where the full opening is completed by the valence? or is it some other configuration?
Ed_914
one set please option A,B,C,D,E if you can ship to the UK
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(Coondog @ Jan 20 2017, 04:03 AM) *

Got mine at HPH. I know AA sells these also and there is a place in the U.K that also has them. I am assuming yours are from the same manufacturer......Vietnam ?

Makes no differance your price is better.....
For those who don't know the differance between stainless and chrome you would have a hard time telling them apart. My bumper shines up way better then this pic shows.

Click to view attachment

Your stainless bumpers may shine up better than in the picture but the shine doesn't last very long. Nothing like original chrome finish, stainless constantly needs attention or it will eventually have a dull finish like the above picture. Maybe on a DeLorean but not on a 914.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Ed_914 @ Jan 20 2017, 01:42 PM) *

No problem, but I don't know shipping cost and you are responsible for any taxes VAT duties brokerage etc.

QUOTE(amfab @ Jan 20 2017, 01:41 PM) *

Is the plan to do it like the GT opening where the full opening is completed by the valence? or is it some other configuration?

Yes, you would have to mod your valance.

QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Jan 20 2017, 01:57 PM) *

Your stainless bumpers may shine up better than in the picture but the shine doesn't last very long. Nothing like original chrome finish, stainless constantly needs attention or it will eventually have a dull finish like the above picture. Maybe on a DeLorean but not on a 914.

As stated these are not chrome, yes you would have to polish these up every so often.
A good coat of wax should protect the shine for quite a while.

But on the huge pro side, if you damage these they can be banged out, TIG welded polished up as good as new.
Lets see you do that with chrome. biggrin.gif
mb911
I would be interested in a set A and B.. What kind of time frame are you thinking as I am not even close to ready for them.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 20 2017, 11:18 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 20 2017, 12:43 PM) *

Mark,

Tom
///////

Hi Tom at this price there will be no wiggle room for one year only options.

In fact I think the holes option may be off the table, likely they will come with no tit, licence and tow hook holes. But it's pretty simple to drill them yourself and I could make templates.

OK Mark - please keep me posted if they will have the front tit holes with or without the 2 extra back-braces behind the tits.

I had checked with the UK group (Barrington Group ??) selling the ones made in Vietnam a couple of years ago, & they said that they could add the tit holes & 2 tit back braces for an up-charge of $50 or $100 IIRC, just fyi. I'd have had to send them a sample 73 bumper core to measure it all up as well.

Maybe you could do the holes other than tow hole & license plate holes as an add-on option, as those folks were saying.

FYI - mine is a 73 with front tits only, so the 74 rear suggestion was just for others owning 74s - not mine.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Bartlett 914
[quote name='Mark Henry' date='Jan 20 2017, 02:08 PM' post='2446042']
[quote name='Ed_914' post='2446035' date='Jan 20 2017, 01:42 PM']
[/quote]

[/quote]

But on the huge pro side, if you damage these they can be banged out, TIG welded polished up as good as new.
Lets see you do that with chrome. biggrin.gif
[/quote]
It is a lot easier to make a new hole then tig weld up one. If someone is on the fence on hole options than leaving them out is an option and drilling them later. On a steel bumper, rust could be an issue when drilling new holes.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jan 20 2017, 12:25 PM) *

It is a lot easier to make a new hole then tig weld up one. If someone is on the fence on hole options than leaving them out is an option and drilling them later. On a steel bumper, rust could be an issue when drilling new holes.

IIRC, one of the alloy additives which makes steel into SS is chromium, which is throughout the SS, & so the rusting should not be an issue, even if drilled (vs. only the chrome outer layer on regular steel bumpers being the rust protection).

It's also what requires TIG instead of MIG welding on SS.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mb911
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 20 2017, 11:32 AM) *

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jan 20 2017, 12:25 PM) *

IIRC, one of the alloy additives which makes steel into SS is chromium, which is throughout the SS, & so the rusting should not be an issue, even if drilled (vs. only the chrome outer layer on regular steel bumpers being the rust protection).

It's also what requires TIG instead of MIG welding on SS.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Actually you can Mig and even stick weld stainless though TIG is preferred.. You also have to ensure with mig and stick you are using stainless electrodes.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 20 2017, 02:12 PM) *

I would be interested in a set A and B.. What kind of time frame are you thinking as I am not even close to ready for them.

Ben, it will likely 8 weeks before they start shipping.
I can put you last on the list so yours take a bit longer.

Once these go into production I am going to put an end date on the group buy, so if you snooze you lose.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 20 2017, 02:20 PM) *

OK Mark - please keep me posted if they will have the front tit holes with or without the 2 extra back-braces behind the tits.

I had checked with the UK group (Barrington Group ??) selling the ones made in Vietnam a couple of years ago, & they said that they could add the tit holes & 2 tit back braces for an up-charge of $50 or $100 IIRC, just fyi. I'd have had to send them a sample 73 bumper core to measure it all up as well.

Maybe you could do the holes other than tow hole & license plate holes as an add-on option, as those folks were saying.

OK I'll ask and clear up the holes and/or brackets to see if they will want an upcharge on to add these options.
It took some negotiation to get this great price, so I don't want to fuch the deal demanding extra work.
But if if they are making some extra coin on options I don't think there will be an issue.
mb911
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 20 2017, 02:35 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 20 2017, 02:12 PM) *

Ben, it will likely 8 weeks before they start shipping.
I can put you last on the list so yours take a bit longer.

Once these go into production I am going to put an end date on the group buy, so if you snooze you lose.

That will be just fine..put me down.
72914wrx
I want in for a set . Opinions A, B , E . What would opinion E look like ?
maf914
QUOTE(maf914 @ Jan 20 2017, 05:36 AM) *

Mark, I am in for a pair (dependent on your final approval of course). Thanks for your efforts on this.

Mark, Please add to my above set: Options A, B, D. Thanks.
amfab
Not that this has any bearing on the fact that I definitely want a set, I am curious as to what the gauge of the factory bumpers are. Does anyone know?

-Andrew
Bartlett 914
Mark this looks like a pretty good deal. Count me for a set. Option a,b,c,d
sb914
QUOTE(amfab @ Jan 21 2017, 07:28 AM) *

Not that this has any bearing on the fact that I definitely want a set, I am curious as to what the gauge of the factory bumpers are. Does anyone know?

-Andrew

Read first post.
amfab
Duh, thanks
Oh wait, I think when he said stock sheet he means the stainless sheet the bumpers will be made of.
zerliq
Count me for a set. Options A,B,D,E (would like to see prototype if possible)
Thanks
Mark Henry
QUOTE(amfab @ Jan 21 2017, 10:44 AM) *

Duh, thanks
Oh wait, I think when he said stock sheet he means the stainless sheet the bumpers will be made of.

2 mm (.079, or about 14 gauge) is the thickness of the SS sheet goods they start with.

Bending, stretching, hammering, forming, grinding, polishing, etc., the steel some areas will end up thinner at 1.5mm (.060, or about 16 gauge).
All the large flat areas should still be 2mm.
Mark Henry
As long as everyone on the list comes through when it comes time to shell out the cash we now have over 10 sets.

First hurdle cleared. smile.gif
amfab
Im in too Mark, go ahead and put me down for a set:

Option A/ Delete tit bolt holes. N/C
Option B/ Delete front plate bolt holes. N/C
Option D/ Delete rear tow hook hole. N/C

(I have been waiting for something like this)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.