Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
pete000
Would it be possible to get two fronts?

Would that count as a pair? idea.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(pete000 @ Jan 21 2017, 12:15 PM) *

Would it be possible to get two fronts?

Would that count as a pair? idea.gif

I think fronts will cost a little more as I think the grill areas, etc are a bit more work. Once they start production I will nail down the price on fronts only, as enough peeps are asking for it.
I'd say the shipping on two fronts will be the same as a set.

Do you want me to put you on the list for now?
Tom_T
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 20 2017, 03:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 20 2017, 02:20 PM) *

OK Mark - please keep me posted if they will have the front tit holes with or without the 2 extra back-braces behind the tits.

I had checked with the UK group (Barrington Group ??) selling the ones made in Vietnam a couple of years ago, & they said that they could add the tit holes & 2 tit back braces for an up-charge of $50 or $100 IIRC, just fyi. I'd have had to send them a sample 73 bumper core to measure it all up as well.

Maybe you could do the holes other than tow hole & license plate holes as an add-on option, as those folks were saying.

OK I'll ask and clear up the holes and/or brackets to see if they will want an upcharge on to add these options.
It took some negotiation to get this great price, so I don't want to fuch the deal demanding extra work.
But if if they are making some extra coin on options I don't think there will be an issue.

Understood Mark.
beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(sb914 @ Jan 21 2017, 08:42 AM) *

QUOTE(amfab @ Jan 21 2017, 07:28 AM) *

Not that this has any bearing on the fact that I definitely want a set, I am curious as to what the gauge of the factory bumpers are. Does anyone know?

-Andrew

Read first post.

sb914 - he's asking about the factory bumpers - not the "standard sheet" of SS Mark put in the 1st post. The 2mm at the 1st post refers to what Mark's mfgr's SS sheet starts at - NOT what the factory bumpers' metal thickness was/is.

I was wondering the same thing though - how these at 1.5 - 2.0 mm SS compare to the factory bumpers' thickness?? confused24.gif
.... they weren't very thick either.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Mark Henry
Factory bumpers are .060 so my bumpers are thicker first.gif
In the thinnest areas they are still as thick as a factory bumper. smile.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 21 2017, 02:19 PM) *

Factory bumpers are .060 so my bumpers are thicker first.gif
In the thinnest areas they are still as thick as a factory bumper. smile.gif

Thanx for the info Mark.

Having had to replace my front bumper twice back in the 70's & 80's cuz they couldn't straighten it due to the thin steel, I can attest to their being pretty flimsy - even with the 3 mph impact resistant "tits"! dry.gif

First time was 2 weeks after I got it in late `75, when a guy rolled back into my front bumper at a stop light on a hill - & him with no insurance - & the bending of it & the tits absorbing it cost me more of my then very limited budget! So that was a deflator right off in my ownership! sad.gif

Mark's being thicker & made of stronger & rustproof 303 alloy SS - they should be a similar improvement over factory bumpers, as are the SSI HE's over the factory mild steel HEs.

Good on ya' Mark! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Mark Henry
Likely just a typo Tom but they are 304 stainless steel.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 21 2017, 02:39 PM) *

Likely just a typo Tom but they are 304 stainless steel.

More likely just a half-zymers brain fart after years of using 303 spray on the vinyl, plastic & fiberglass parts on my cars for many decades - the 60's are a cruel age! laugh.gif

304 SS it is!

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
pete000
I would be in for two front bumpers with no tit holes...
Mark Henry
QUOTE(pete000 @ Jan 21 2017, 06:18 PM) *

I would be in for two front bumpers with no tit holes...

I'm putting you on the last batch just in case the early rears come through. OK?
jet1
put me down for a set please.

Option A/ Delete tit bolt holes. N/C
Option B/ Delete front plate bolt holes. N/C
Option D/ Delete rear tow hook hole. N/C
Mark Henry
Important!!!!

Please take note!!!

Sorry but I'm changing how we pick the options from "DELETE" holes to "ADD" holes
I'm doing this because how I labeled the instructions to the manufacturer. I have to switch all the options from delete to add and in doing this I just know there will be a fuchs up.
Again sorry about this, but it's best to change it right now at the source of the issue.

All bumpers have no holes for licence plate, bumperette (tit) or tow ring/hook holes.

You must pick your option holes or you get a bumper with no holes!

Please go to the buyers list at the bottom of the first post and confirm that your options are correct!!!!
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=303138

Options

Note I have changed the options from "delete " to "ADD"
All bumpers have no holes licence plate, bumperette (tit) or tow ring/hook holes. (all bumpers will have the bumper top holes)
Please ADD the holes you wish to have.

Option A/ ADD bumperette (tit) bolt holes. N/C
Option B/ ADD front plate bolt holes. N/C
Option C/ ADD rear plate bolt holes. N/C
Option D/ ADD rear tow hook hole. N/C
Option E/ Front bumper cooler mod. $150 (guesstimate price at this point, final price and availability TBA)

All bumpers have no holes unless you chose an option above.
maf914
Mark, Could you please verify that the rear license plate holes are for US/Canadian style plates as opposed to European style plates. Thanks.
billh1963
Mine is correct
Mark Henry
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 23 2017, 08:59 AM) *

Mine is correct

Thanks for letting me know, could everyone confirm their options please.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(maf914 @ Jan 23 2017, 08:57 AM) *

Mark, Could you please verify that the rear license plate holes are for US/Canadian style plates as opposed to European style plates. Thanks.

I would say US/Canadian style I believe they are 8mm X 13mm square holes for the factory plugs and licence plate frame.
If you are not using the North American factory licence plate frame I'd order no holes and drill your own.
JmuRiz
I updated mine, post #15.
I'll let you know ASAP what I decide on the front cooler hole.
maf914
My option selection is correct. Thanks.
Bartlett 914
Mine is correct. No holes (except bumper top holes).
Mark Henry
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Jan 23 2017, 09:35 AM) *

I updated mine, post #15.

I've drawn out the cooler mod, I did it 19.5" X 1.5" with a 18mm radius at the corners
The edges will have the same size radius as the bumpers bottom.
I want the recess to go all the way back to the body with about a 1/4" gap between the body and the bumper.
The bumper should not touch the body, if you want it sealed up I'd do it with foam weather strip tape.

They want to see the mod before they quote it, as soon as I get the price nailed down I will post it.

I'm thinking of getting the prototype with the cooler mod but then I don't see a finished standard bumper.
I might have to get two front prototypes.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Jan 23 2017, 09:35 AM) *

All GT cooler cut out mod, option E, will be notified by PM when we have a price and availability, to confirm if you still want the cooler cut out.
So if you see "option E" beside your name it isn't written in stone yet.
Ed_914
Can you change mine to only E as I will drill rear license plate hole to fit EU style plate.

If you can't do E , I will have to remove myself off the list. But I really want E!!!!!!!!!!!!
mb911
Mark I would want c and d.. Guess I need to sell my good chrome rear and front that has the gt cut out to find this..
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 23 2017, 04:16 PM) *

Mark I would want c and d.. Guess I need to sell my good chrome rear and front that has the gt cut out to find this..

Ben just to be clear, do you want the GT cut out or not?
mepstein
Mark - c & e please
zoedog
Mark
Put me down for a set.

Option C and D

Walt
jet1
Mark,
you missed me at the top of page 4.

Option C/ ADD rear plate bolt holes
thanks
lonewolfe
I'd like a set with Options B,C,D & E.

I'M ONLY INTERESTED IF E OPTION IS A GO!

zoedog
Hi Mark,
Just to be clear so there are no surprises later. Are the following statements true?

a) Bumpers come with mounting brackets
b) Front bumper comes with fog light openings
c) The finish is polished
d) Holes for attaching the rubber top strips are drilled

Thanks for doing this!
Walt
Norskpole

Mine is correct (option C, E)
horizontally-opposed
First, thank you for taking this on, Mark.

I'm not interested in the current rear bumper, and am only mildly interested in the front bumper. It's a maybe, maybe not.

However, if the front bumper can be had with a GT cooler opening that mates up nicely with a good fiberglass GT valance that's already out there, and your rear bumper can be had in the 1970-1971 style, I'd be VERY interested. I suspect other folks would be, too.

Mark Henry
QUOTE(zoedog @ Jan 24 2017, 10:03 AM) *

Hi Mark,
Just to be clear so there are no surprises later. Are the following statements true?

Thanks for doing this!
Walt

Of course to all, as stated when I said "no holes drilled" I'm only talking about bumperette (tit), licence and tow ring/hook holes.
All bumpers will not be drilled for these holes unless you choose the options.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jan 24 2017, 12:00 PM) *

I'm not interested in the current rear bumper, and am only mildly interested in the front bumper. It's a maybe, maybe not.

However, if the front bumper can be had with a GT cooler opening that mates up nicely with a good fiberglass GT valance that's already out there, and your rear bumper can be had in the 1970-1971 style, I'd be VERY interested. I suspect other folks would be, too.

I am right now making the pattern for the GT bumper so there will be no mistakes.
I'm making it so it will fold in almost touching the body, that way you can seal it with a simple foam weatherstrip available at any hardware store.

I can't guarantee that it will line up with any fiberglass valance. The opening will be 19.5 inches wide by 1.5 high.

Just a thought but would members be interested in a paint grade Stainless Steel valance made to match my GT bumper?
That I could guarantee fits my GT bumper.

Do to low volume and the work I have to invest making a pattern it won't be group buy cheap, but it would be reasonable.
Mark Henry
Just a general disclaimer:

The car I'm using to check the fit is my cherry, never been hit anywhere anyhow '74 914.
I'm also sending bumper tops so the fit of the top can be checked, I have good condition OE bumper tops on my end to verify the fit.
I'm doing a shit load of work here guys. dry.gif

If your car has been hit, rust restored, etc. etc. etc. I can NOT be responsible for poor fit.

These also should be considered 10 foot away bumpers, I'm trying for more like 5 foot away.
That means from 10 feet away they damn near look perfect.
If you're expecting absolutely perfect concours quality bumpers please do NOT buy these bumpers. Get your OE bumpers rechromed.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 24 2017, 09:50 AM) *

Just a thought but would members be interested in a paint grade Stainless Steel valance made to match my GT bumper?

Do too low volume and the work I have to invest making a pattern it won't be group buy cheap, but it would be reasonable.

It's a good thought. My car, like a lot of people's, isn't highly original and never will be. It's a mild-isa hot rod. So I wouldn't mind selling my never rechromed front bumper and nice 1970-71 rear bumper on to someone who needs them for a proper early 914 or 914-6 restoration. I've been thinking about rechroming them to get them perfect, and about cutting the front one into a GT bumper, but your option might be a better way to go depending on how nice they are. Not sure I need concours, but I do like things right. Or as right as I can make them.

I worry about you ending up out of pocket on this project, though—especially as some folks will want it narrow and others for GT flares. That said, nothing ventured, nothing gained. If executed well, this would be a NEW option for people, and a very interesting one. Some might want the bumpers in paint grade stainless, too, which might create a nice market for you there, too. I hear the F/G units just aren't suitable to everyday use.

All that said, I'd want to have a group buy lined up. But before I signed on, I'd want to see what I am paying for in terms of fit and finish.

Hmm...
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 24 2017, 10:07 AM) *

Just a general disclaimer:

The car I'm using to check the fit is my cherry, never been hit anywhere anyhow '74 914.
I'm also sending bumper tops so the fit of the top can be checked, I have good condition OE bumper tops on my end to verify the fit.
I'm doing a shit load of work here guys. dry.gif

If your car has been hit, rust restored, etc. etc. etc. I can NOT be responsible for poor fit.

These also should be considered 10 foot away bumpers, I'm trying for more like 5 foot away.
That means from 10 feet away they damn near look perfect.
If you're expecting absolutely perfect concours quality bumpers please do NOT buy these bumpers. Get your OE bumpers rechromed.

Something tells me I would enjoy hanging out with you. Straight shooter. When you say 5 feet, what "imperfections" do you anticipate seeing when you get to 0-2 feet?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jan 24 2017, 01:19 PM) *

I am right now making the pattern for the GT bumper so there will be no mistakes.
I'm making it so it will fold in almost touching the body, that way you can seal it with a simple foam weatherstrip available at any hardware store.

I can't guarantee that it will line up with any fiberglass valance. The opening will be 19.5 inches wide by 1.5 high.

Do too low volume and the work I have to invest making a pattern it won't be group buy cheap, but it would be reasonable.

It's a good thought. I worry about you ending up out of pocket on that, though—especially as some folks will want it narrow and others for GT flares. That said, nothing ventured, nothing gained. If executed well, this would be a NEW option for people, and a very interesting one. Some might want the bumpers in paint grade stainless, too, which might create a nice market for you there, too. I hear the F/G units just aren't suitable to everyday use.

All that said, I'd want to have a group buy lined up. But before I signed on, I'd want to see what I am paying for in terms of fit and finish.

Hmm...

Well you're just going to have to wait till I get the samples for pictures .
I'm going to get one of each to verify quality, front, late rear and a GT bumper.

And yes I'm going to be out of pocket if they suck. dry.gif
Mark Henry
Mark (mepstein)

What did you call it? "Herding cats"? laugh.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 24 2017, 01:27 PM) *

Mark (mepstein)

What did you call it? "Herding cats"? laugh.gif

Group buys are tough. I applaud you sir. beerchug.gif
mepstein

Do to low volume and the work I have to invest making a pattern it won't be group buy cheap, but it would be reasonable.
[/quote]

Yes
zoedog
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 24 2017, 12:39 PM) *

QUOTE(zoedog @ Jan 24 2017, 10:03 AM) *

Hi Mark,

Thanks for doing this!
Walt

Of course to all, as stated when I said "no holes drilled" I'm only talking about bumperette (tit), licence and tow ring/hook holes.
All bumpers will not be drilled for these holes unless you choose the options.

Excellent! Put me on the buyers list
Thanks
Walt
fteixeira
A bit late to this game, but I'm OK with being in the back of the line.

In for a front and rear.

Options C, D

PM sent as well. Thanks for making this happen.

fteixeira
mb911
Mark I should have said thank you as well as I know what a huge undetaking this as I wrap up my heat exchangers group buy it is very overwhelming and with almost no money to be gained.

Mark Henry
Thanks Ben and Mark

You guys have to remember these are off-shore made bumpers made pretty damn cheap. Not to mention what Ben said I'm not making much cash off of this deal.
The fact is if ask any NA fabricator to build them for this price, or even what the other supplier sells them for retail, and they would laugh their asses off.

That said I'm trying my best to correct the faults of the other companies bumpers and add some custom hole options. The sample bumper I gave the one side the brackets were off 2mm I've asked them to correct it.

The GT bumper, I made a drawing of what I wanted, but I know for sure because of the language barrier that there will be a fuck up.
So I've taken it upon myself to make a pattern out of kiln dried cabinet grade hardwood so that the opening is perfect.
I have 25+ hours into the pattern and I'm not done, because it's not perfect yet.

Take this pic, I realized the opening wasn't a full 1-1/2 inches tall and I forgot to take off the 2mm for the material thickness. This part was done and 98% of other guys would have said "fuck it good enough". But it's not good enough for me.
So I'm adding material to the opening to fix 3/16".
Mark Henry
I wanted the radius the same all around the opening.
It's beveled angle, so I can't use a router, so I made a custom cabinet scraper out of an old sawblade.
Mark Henry
This is how it looks now. I should be able to finish it up tomorrow.
I spent 14 hours on it today, I'm tired, I'll tackle the final shaping and sanding in the morning when I'm fresh.
djway
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic...tainless+bumper

30 pages of misery with the Nam bumpers. I have no idea if they are the same people, this is just a heads up.
Mark Henry
Edit due to non issue
mepstein
Take your time. Think on it. You will work something out.
72914wrx

I would love to have the valance as well. It would be nice to have a matching set .

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.