Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bumpers, Stainless steel, Group buy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
lonewolfe
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 31 2017, 06:20 PM) *

Ignore my "custom" LE bumper valance with cutout. smile.gif
It will look better with the correct valance.

Actually, I think your front valance looks pretty good Mark! That GT bumper looks great. I can't wait to get mine. Timing is not critical for me as I have a long way to go on my car. It's going to all be worth the effort though! I appreciate all your effort to get these bumpers done! It's obviously a huge commitment for you to take on!
porschetub
Good work Mark,jeez like pulling teeth to get this done,great effort for sticking with it and providing supply for world members.
Its a hard road doing what you have done and I admire that...
JimFitz33
Has there been any additional movement on the group buy?
Would still like to get in on this if possible.
Olympic 914
Just dragging this out of the past.

Any progress?
lonewolfe
This group buy looks like it fizzled out!
mepstein
I'll wait to hear from Mark. Its amazing how long it takes to develop a product. Especially when dealing with an overseas vendor.
JOEPROPER
popcorn[1].gif

I'm waiting to see this thru and hoping it all pans out.

rmdinmd
agree.gif
gothspeed
Bumpers look great and would like to see these available ... but for now, I want to know what type of fog lights those are on Mark Henry's car popcorn[1].gif
mb911
I know how long these projects take especially when you are not doing the manufacturing yourself.. My GT oil lines were supposed to done November then December and now the end of January and there os nothing I can do about it..

Mark I can't wait to see these in person when it happens..I have my deposit sitting in my PayPal account and when your ready ..

ConeDodger
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 19 2018, 10:40 AM) *

I'll wait to hear from Mark. Its amazing how long it takes to develop a product. Especially when dealing with an overseas vendor.

It looks like George at AA kind of fuched Mark. sheeplove.gif He’s in the member vendor section with them and I think he uses the word “perfect” 6 times in his first post about them. dry.gif oh, and $700 higher priced than what Mark projected!
mb911
Maybe but they are 800 dollars or so more through them and I just can't justify that at this point for my car and many others feel the same..

If this does fall through it would interesting to see if RD would make them and send them for chroming..
mepstein
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 20 2018, 05:26 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 19 2018, 10:40 AM) *

It looks like George at AA kind of fuched Mark. sheeplove.gif He’s in the member vendor section with them and I think he uses the word “perfect” 6 times in his first post about them. dry.gif oh, and $700 higher priced than what Mark projected!

If Mark can't do it, I'll look somewhere else but not AA. I've been after Pete for a while to make a front bumper but...Maybe one day.
914work
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 20 2018, 02:26 PM) *

dry.gif No dog in this, & not a potential customer for these ...yet
But explain to me Rob how George "fuched" Mark ? Other than producing a competitive product & marketing it as allowed buy Andy & admins.

To expand this topic further (apologize for the slight hijack) There seems to double standard regarding vendors here. I understand the sentiment and have suffered at the hands of AA like many, but if you wanna hear about gettig FUCHED buy a member vendor PM me & Ill tell you a story.

Its called capitalism. Like it or not sometimes its cutthroat. You can decide to play with the big dogs, or get off the porch.
My .02, vote with your $'s & let the chips fall. I hope both succeed. Options are better.

Carry on.
ConeDodger
Mark started his effort exactly a year ago. Publicly, on this forum where George ghosts pretty much constantly. Mark was transparent about his source. George snuck n the back door and bought a large supply. Kind of an “i’ll Buy everything you can produce” approach. I could give you several examples. He has approached another vendor and said “how much for 1000 of these?” And then, once he knows the price point, “ok, I’ll take 10 to start with.” Then, he never buys another unit. He sends the 10 off to be reverse engineered by his supplier.

It has nothing to do with capitalism. It’s an integrity thing.
914work
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 20 2018, 03:36 PM) *

Mark started his effort exactly a year ago. Publicly, on this forum where George ghosts pretty much constantly. Mark was transparent about his source. George snuck n the back door and bought a large supply. Kind of an “i’ll Buy everything you can produce” approach. I could give you several examples. He has approached another vendor and said “how much for 1000 of these?” And then, once he knows the price point, “ok, I’ll take 10 to start with.” Then, he never buys another unit. He sends the 10 off to be reverse engineered by his supplier.

Thanks for the reply, and for making my point biggrin.gif
Steve
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 20 2018, 03:36 PM) *

An integrity thing... how about Mark gives us our money back on first gen crappy rubber top seals and first gen crappy Rubber bumper tops? Like others I stock up on Parts as I get funds, but don’t get around to installing them until a year later, then it’s too late to return them. All I can say is buyer beware with aftermarket parts. Try them out immediately so you can return them. Mark has produced some nice stuff lately. Even though I got burned by the first gen Rubber front top seal, I bought the latest one and it fit quite well.
mihai914
This group buy is organized by Mark Henry not Mark from 914rubber.
Mikey914
That is correct. As far as bumper tops go, we were the only ones making these. They were hand cast in silicone with catalized rubber. There was no other option at the time. The margins were not great as they were quite labor intensive. We roll the funds we did make and others into improving the process and product. We do not take funds out of the business and continue to take on big and small projects to help with restoration and preservation. If ever you feel your not getting a fair shake please let me know.
Mark
914bub
Mark directed me to this thread after I posted about stainless bumpers for another make of car, (Volvo). Now I'm wondering, how did this all end? Did people get their bumpers in the end? Were people happy with the quality of them?
euro911
I'd like to get a set for my Ghia idea.gif
mb911
QUOTE(914bub @ Dec 15 2019, 08:32 PM) *

Mark directed me to this thread after I posted about stainless bumpers for another make of car, (Volvo). Now I'm wondering, how did this all end? Did people get their bumpers in the end? Were people happy with the quality of them?

It never happened.. Everything fizzled out.. Some bought from auto Atlanta but the price was more. Some rechromed the bumpers..
Mark Henry
Less than half the samples finish quality ok other half+ not so much, on the horses in the sun some were wave city. Fitting was way off with 10-12 hours custom fitting time. It wasn't worth doing, there was some sketchyness with them and Harrington...bottom line it wasn't worth fuching up my name.
Loss of $5K plus a good rear chrome bumper. At least I have a nice GT front bumper and some spares for my two cars.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 16 2019, 10:32 AM) *

Less than half the samples finish quality ok other half+ not so much, on the horses in the sun some were wave city. Fitting was way off with 10-12 hours custom fitting time. It wasn't worth doing, there was some sketchyness with them and Harrington...bottom line it wasn't worth fuching up my name.
Loss of $5K plus a good rear chrome bumper. At least I have a nice GT front bumper and some spares for my two cars.

Sorry you got burned on this but your effort is appreciated
djway
QUOTE(euro911 @ Dec 16 2019, 01:16 AM) *

I'd like to get a set for my Ghia idea.gif

go over to the Samba and read about how bad the fit was on the Ghia bumpers. People were required to fabricate adapters for mounts they were so far off.,
Other VWs fit better. The big problem is that they say it is fixed but it was not and the next guy gets burned. I have not read that thread for some time so things may have changed.
brcacti
I love the chrome front/rear bumpers, mine are black sad.gif I wonder how much chrome bumpers would cost if I traded the black?
mepstein
QUOTE(brcacti @ Dec 17 2019, 08:58 AM) *

I love the chrome front/rear bumpers, mine are black sad.gif I wonder how much chrome bumpers would cost if I traded the black?

Take your bumpers to a chrome shop. Probably $400-600 each and you know they will fit your car.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I agree, if you have original parts, rechrome them. The bumper shop in california does a great job for about 400 each
If you do not have bumpers, then we do have the polished stainless steel in stock

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 17 2019, 07:01 AM) *

Take your bumpers to a chrome shop. Probably $400-600 each and you know they will fit your car.

bobboinski
Do you have contact information for this bumper shop in California?

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 17 2019, 09:07 AM) *

I agree, if you have original parts, rechrome them. The bumper shop in california does a great job for about 400 each
If you do not have bumpers, then we do have the polished stainless steel in stock

dr914@autoatlanta.com
sure contact me off line and I will give it to you

QUOTE(bobboinski @ Dec 18 2019, 07:52 PM) *

Do you have contact information for this bumper shop in California?

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 17 2019, 09:07 AM) *

raynekat
Click to view attachment

Mine came from Harrington, and they are very nice.
Fit well, very little adjustment needed.
Weren't cheap and definitely took a few months to receive.
Got them a couple years ago.
Not sure what the current delivery/quality is?

But I'm happy I don't have to worry about replacing these for a long, long time.
djway
I could use contact information for a bumper repair, chrome shop is So Cal
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.