Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bumpers, Stainless steel, Group buy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
mb911
Personally I would be good welding the brackets on my self and having them polished myself if that were an option? That's up to you though and if that saved more money it makes it even more attractive.
Tom_T
Mark,

A couple of years ago siverson in San Diego CA got the Nam made Barrington (??) UK sold F & R doing a thread on it. Maybe find it &/or just PM or email him directly, or get on the horn to him if you both have international on your cells.

IIRC, he had no problems & they looked pretty good, except that the turn-back on the ends back into the body (at the bumper insets on the side bodywork/fenders) was a 1/8" -1/4" +/- shorter than stock. Of course, he could've been the lucky one of a few.

Steve can tell you more.

PS - the same group as Steve used, Barrington (??) in the UK on their Vietnam made bumpers, would've been the ones quoting me the up-charge for the tit holes & extra 2 back-braces behind the tits that I told you about via PM, & at that time a coupla-few years back were running a special of $1350 a pair F&R IIRC, & that would've been in about the same time frame as when Steve got his & did his thread on them.

PSS for sb914, amfab, Mark - why polish the brackets, which will be hidden on the back/hidden/mounted side of the bumper - deburring & smoothing should be fine if you/buyers or Mark fabs them.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
amfab
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 25 2017, 08:08 AM) *

Personally I would be good welding the brackets on my self and having them polished myself if that were an option? That's up to you though and if that saved more money it makes it even more attractive.

Me too. I think the weld spots are hidden so we wouldn't have to re-polish. and I think it would be rather easy to bolt the brackets in position on the car, position the bumper and mark the brackets through the foglight holes—someone correct me if I am off base here.

After skimming the Samba thing it looks like a problem with the angle of the brackets on the front of the euro-style Ghia repros. The back ones seem to fit fine. I think the 914 bumpers are a simpler design, so there is less of a chance of a problem—not that I am excusing the low quality.

-Andrew
mb911
Either way you decide I think you are doing a huge service.. I think you could offer it as a kit and probably would be best to ensure the fewest complaints. For those that absolutely require turn key then you do your fitting, welding and buffing so that it makes it worth your while..
Mark Henry
QUOTE(amfab @ Jan 25 2017, 01:08 PM) *

Me too. I think the weld spots are hidden so we wouldn't have to re-polish. and I think it would be rather easy to bolt the brackets in position on the car, position the bumper and mark the brackets through the foglight holes—someone correct me if I am off base here.

After skimming the Samba thing it looks like a problem with the angle of the brackets on the front of the euro-style Ghia repros. The back ones seem to fit fine. I think the 914 bumpers are a simpler design, so there is less of a chance of a problem—not that I am excusing the low quality.

-Andrew

Now that I'm out of panic mode and have had time to think I don't think the cost of me would be that high.
I thought the cost would mostly be in a jig, because you can't weld the brackets with the bumper on car.

But you can if you drill a couple of holes in the general vicinity, then line it up and do a couple of spot welds much like the factory spot welds. The welds are hidden under the top and on the bottom.

So that's one hurdle.

Shipping if I'm getting lots of say 5 sets then the shipping to me should be less coin per unit. I'd try for some cash off the bumpers for my work.
Order 5 sets each time I hit ten sets (or all) I can use a semi local post box service to ship from Niagara Falls,NY.
Maybe a slight increase in shipping but then again maybe not.
I'd have to do the paperwork, but there is no taxes if the product gets shipped back out of Canada. Plus I could broker it myself.

Another hurdle (maybe a slight increase in shipping).

Ben, 97% of the peeps can't or don't want to do this, plus I don't want to be blamed if they or their welder buddy fucks up.
l also would want to keep a very close eye on quality to be sure PTT doesn't start slacking off mid job on the actual shape and corners of the bumpers.
You were at the end of the buy if you wanted to weld your own brackets OK, but I doubt much if any savings.
No polish doesn't work for me, I want to be able to see ripples and any flaws easy.

I'm thinking maybe I should drill the option holes, not a big job. Very simple locating jigs would make it faster.

mb911
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 25 2017, 03:11 PM) *

QUOTE(amfab @ Jan 25 2017, 01:08 PM) *

-Andrew

Now that I'm out of panic mode and have had time to think I don't think the cost of me would be that high.
I thought the cost would mostly be in a jig, because you can't weld the brackets with the bumper on car.

But you can if you drill a couple of holes in the general vicinity, then line it up and do a couple of spot welds much like the factory spot welds. The welds are hidden under the top and on the bottom.

So that's one hurdle.

Shipping if I'm getting lots of say 5 sets then the shipping to me should be less coin per unit. I'd try for some cash off the bumpers for my work.
Order 5 sets each time I hit ten sets (or all) I can use a semi local post box service to ship from Niagara Falls,NY.
Maybe a slight increase in shipping but then again maybe not.
I'd have to do the paperwork, but there is no taxes if the product gets shipped back out of Canada. Plus I could broker it myself.

Another hurdle (maybe a slight increase in shipping).

Ben, 97% of the peeps can't or don't want to do this, plus I don't want to be blamed if they or their welder buddy fucks up.
l also would want to keep a very close eye on quality to be sure PTT doesn't start slacking off mid job on the actual shape and corners of the bumpers.
You were at the end of the buy if you wanted to weld your own brackets OK, but I doubt much if any savings.
No polish doesn't work for me, I want to be able to see ripples and any flaws easy.

I'm thinking maybe I should drill the option holes, not a big job. Very simple locating jigs would make it faster.

For sure I'd have to do a hold back on PTT for some cash, till I was satisfied with the quality. Ordering 5 at a time would protect me if the quality was total shit.

Either way I support what ever decisions you make.
Mark Henry
So I'm putting the quality issues to them to see what they say.

GT pattern is done. It fits perfectly flat into the back of the bumper and gives the exact shape of the opening. I would bet they will use it as a buck.

BTW it's a pattern, it doesn't have to look pretty, but the shape has to be perfect and it is.

I have the cutout to use as a QC piece on my end.

72914wrx
Very excited about this the Front bumper with Gt opening . It's a dream come true can't wait .

I hope it's not to late but my Dad wants a set .
With the only option is C the rear lience plate holes .
Thank you taking this on !
Bartlett 914
Hi Mark

I haven't gone through all the Samba responses but from what I did see was a fitment problem with a Ghia bumper. Clearly there was a problem they didn't correct. Does this mean we will have a fitment problem with the mounting brackets? Maybe you are over thinking this problem. Perhaps a wait and see a for sample before you go into doing some retrofitting of their bumper. If they are able to form and prepare these bumpers, then they must be able to make and correctly position the mounts. I do hope you are able to make this work. I am in a sit and wait mode. Best of luck

Mark
Tom_T
OK - I've not read the TheSamba thread on the Vietnam bumpers, but it sounds like it's a Ghia & other-than-914 bumper issue there.

Also, I don't know which supplier you're using Mark for your GB, nor if it's the same one as Harrington's as sold on evil-bay, on their UK website, etc.

However - there was an extensive thread on them on here from 2010 which I'd mentioned about - where the ones that Steve got were excellent .... but apparently nobody was willing to do the search on here, which took me all of 30 seconds to find his topic.

Mark Henry & others - Take some Mydol & then go here, read it! biggrin.gif
This is not a new idea of SS bumpers, & there's really NOT a bad fitment nor quality issue with their 914 bumpers, & frankly they looked better than 5 footers, & would probably pass the CW test in person.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...ss+steel+bumper

Pix of the bumpers start at post #81 at the top of page 5, with all sorts of other info & discussion from pg. 1 onward.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...umper&st=80

Mark - if it's not these Harrington guys whom you're using, maybe consider contacting them to do a GB pricing for a certain amount as an alternative to your supplier, since they apparently have their act down on the 914 bumpers that Steve got then (can't say if quality has slipped since 2010).

So after all y'all's chill pill & reading the above topic, then decide how to proceed.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Mark Henry
You might be right Tom, but do you want to send your set back to Nam if your mounting brackets are wrong? shades.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 26 2017, 12:08 PM) *

You might be right Tom, but do you want to send your set back to Nam if your mounting brackets are wrong? shades.gif

Mark,

I supplied that link to the 914 bumpers in order to help you with your research on your GB, since you were confronted with the TheSamba post on other VWs' bumper problems. Take it for what it's worth - it's NOT a debate & it's NOT trying to introduce another supplier, but as an alternative feedback to the other Ghia problems posts.

I have no idea whom you are using for your GB mfgr., but I thought you said in a prior post above that they were in Nam.

Just trying to help you & the others out! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
siverson
Yeah, those bumpers were sweet and I hate myself for selling that red car. Doh! Thanks for reminding me of that, Tom!

-Steve
Mark Henry
Ok, They are assuring me there will be no issues.
Like I said I may be doing the final QC and shipping from here. I would be getting them shipped to me in bulk (say 5 sets at a time), hopefully if I use the US PO service I found shipping should still be close to what I said it will be.

I should have the samples of the front, late rear and the GT front in 3-4 weeks.

I have to update the buyers list, if your name isn't on the list (bottom of post#1) by Tuesday AM please send me a PM.
If you said "I'm interested but..." you likely won't be on the list.

Please note that I'll give notice, but once all is nailed down, ask for deposits and I start shipping I will close the GB. I have more than enough people interested in these bumpers.
If all works out I will continue to sell these bumpers at a retail price TBA after/near the end of the GB.

shades.gif
Mark Henry
BTW they said they were very impressed with the GT bumper pattern I made. shades.gif
amfab
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 28 2017, 10:32 PM) *

BTW they said they were very impressed with the GT bumper pattern I made. shades.gif

I am too,
Thanks for all of this!
Olympic 914
I have sat on the fence for a while watching this... and decided I am in.

Put me down for 1 set.

Options C - Add rear plate holes
D - Add tow hook hole.

The pictures of the other bumpers posted pushed me over. I am sure these will be just as good or you wouldn't accept them..

Thanks
fixer34
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jan 24 2017, 12:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 24 2017, 09:50 AM) *

Just a thought but would members be interested in a paint grade Stainless Steel valance made to match my GT bumper?
That I could guarantee fits my GT bumper.

Do too low volume and the work I have to invest making a pattern it won't be group buy cheap, but it would be reasonable.

It's a good thought. My car, like a lot of people's, isn't highly original and never will be. It's a mild-isa hot rod. So I wouldn't mind selling my never rechromed front bumper and nice 1970-71 rear bumper on to someone who needs them for a proper early 914 or 914-6 restoration. I've been thinking about rechroming them to get them perfect, and about cutting the front one into a GT bumper, but your option might be a better way to go depending on how nice they are. Not sure I need concours, but I do like things right. Or as right as I can make them.

I worry about you ending up out of pocket on this project, though—especially as some folks will want it narrow and others for GT flares. That said, nothing ventured, nothing gained. If executed well, this would be a NEW option for people, and a very interesting one. Some might want the bumpers in paint grade stainless, too, which might create a nice market for you there, too. I hear the F/G units just aren't suitable to everyday use.

All that said, I'd want to have a group buy lined up. But before I signed on, I'd want to see what I am paying for in terms of fit and finish.

Hmm...

If you decide to go with Mark's set and the factory ones you have will be available, please let me know. I can use both front and back for my '70 -6.
Pete
Mark Henry
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Jan 29 2017, 12:26 PM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jan 24 2017, 12:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 24 2017, 09:50 AM) *

Just a thought but would members be interested in a paint grade Stainless Steel valance made to match my GT bumper?
That I could guarantee fits my GT bumper.

Do too low volume and the work I have to invest making a pattern it won't be group buy cheap, but it would be reasonable.

It's a good thought. My car, like a lot of people's, isn't highly original and never will be. It's a mild-isa hot rod. So I wouldn't mind selling my never rechromed front bumper and nice 1970-71 rear bumper on to someone who needs them for a proper early 914 or 914-6 restoration. I've been thinking about rechroming them to get them perfect, and about cutting the front one into a GT bumper, but your option might be a better way to go depending on how nice they are. Not sure I need concours, but I do like things right. Or as right as I can make them.

I worry about you ending up out of pocket on this project, though—especially as some folks will want it narrow and others for GT flares. That said, nothing ventured, nothing gained. If executed well, this would be a NEW option for people, and a very interesting one. Some might want the bumpers in paint grade stainless, too, which might create a nice market for you there, too. I hear the F/G units just aren't suitable to everyday use.

All that said, I'd want to have a group buy lined up. But before I signed on, I'd want to see what I am paying for in terms of fit and finish.

Hmm...

If you decide to go with Mark's set and the factory ones you have will be available, please let me know. I can use both front and back for my '70 -6.
Pete

When it comes to OE bumpers it seems that good fronts are the ones in high demand.
Once I have the price (QC, fit, my shipping cost, etc) sorted I will offer some bumpers as singles.
JmuRiz
Good info, I updated my order to include the GT cooler modification

That way I have the bumper ready if my rear cooler can't handle the new motor's cooling needs.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Jan 29 2017, 09:26 AM) *

Pete

Will do! Question is how soon do you need them.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 25 2017, 04:34 PM) *

So I'm putting the quality issues to them to see what they say.

GT pattern is done. It fits perfectly flat into the back of the bumper and gives the exact shape of the opening. I would bet they will use it as a buck.

BTW it's a pattern, it doesn't have to look pretty, but the shape has to be perfect and it is.

That form is reaaaaally nice work. Wow.

So you have how at least one 914 owner out there is looking at your project, I looked into having my steel front bumper converted with a matching GT-style valance. By the time that was all said and done, and both bumpers were straightened and rechromed, I was looking at $3000-$4000. And I am cutting up a nice 1970-72 front bumper (it needs work, but there is precisely zero rust on it).

So your route, if the bumper ends we've seen on the other stainless bumpers can be addressed, is highly appealing to me. I suspect a paint-grade version for so many street GT conversions out there would also have appeal over the fiberglass GT bumpers that inevitably need fitting and present a delicate face to the world.

And if I can sell my chrome bumpers to offset my cost, and see them go to someone who needs factory bumpers for a restoration? Could be a win-win.
bahnzai
Mark, I would like a set too, if the buy has not closed yet.
I Will take both with no holes and Option e (front cooler opening).

I may be interested in the matching valence if you decide to offer that too.

Please let me know how to send the deposit.

Thanks,
Danny Thomas
Mark Henry
QUOTE(bahnzai @ Jan 29 2017, 09:29 PM) *

Mark, I would like a set too, if the buy has not closed yet.
I Will take both with no holes and Option e (front cooler opening).

I may be interested in the matching valence if you decide to offer that too.

Please let me know how to send the deposit.

Thanks,
Danny Thomas

I'm going to go through this thread and update the list hopefully tonight.
I won't be taking deposits till I get and approve the samples. smile.gif
zoedog
Mark

When you undate the buyers list please include me. see post 76 and 91
Front and rear , Options C & D for my 74 2.0

Thanks for doing this.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(zoedog @ Feb 2 2017, 07:51 PM) *

Mark

When you undate the buyers list please include me. see post 76 and 91
Front and rear , Options C & D for my 74 2.0

Thanks for doing this.

Done biggrin.gif

Right now the samples to them are stuck in shipping, likely customs rolleyes.gif
Hopefully they'll get them soon.
Mitox
Please add me to the buy.

Front and rear bumpers
Options C and E.

If there will be a paint grade finish, That is my preference.

Thanks for doing this.

Michael
live free & drive
If your still taking orders I'd like to participate.

I'd like one set (F&R)with option C only

I'd like to buy an extra front bumper with option E

3 bumpers total.

Thanks, Jon
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Mitox @ Feb 2 2017, 09:00 PM) *

Front and rear bumpers
Options C and E.

Thanks for doing this.

Michael

No paint grade bumpers, but scuff with iron free sandpaper or blast (again no iron type media), then PPG two part epoxy primer and you're good to go with a topcoat.
Mitox
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 2 2017, 10:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Mitox @ Feb 2 2017, 09:00 PM) *

Front and rear bumpers
Options C and E.

Thanks for doing this.

Michael

No paint grade bumpers, but scuff with iron free sandpaper or blast (again no iron type media), then PPG two part epoxy primer and you're good to go with a topcoat.

Thanks, I'm in.

altitude411
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 30 2017, 06:58 AM) *

sad.gif Unfortunatly Mark, I have to drop out. All my monies going to attorney fees .. good luck with everything.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Feb 3 2017, 12:00 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 30 2017, 06:58 AM) *

sad.gif Unfortunatly Mark, I have to drop out. All my monies going to attorney fees .. good luck with everything.

No problem and sorry about your bad luck.

If it all works out after the GB I will continue selling these bumpers, but the price will increase.
Maybe I'll have my own black friday sales one day. shades.gif
Mark Henry
Clearing up some confusion, the group buy is still open for now and it will remain open till I get and approve my samples.

When I do go to close the GB I will definitely announce it and give a couple days for stragglers.

If you name isn't on the very first post (page 1, near the bottom) of this thread you are not on the list.
Sorry if I missed your post, please send me a PM if your name is not on the list, or if your options are wrong.

thumb3d.gif
horizontally-opposed
I'm on the list on page 1, but am probably NOT in on this first run—unless we see samples of the GT front and early rear.

I am, however, still keenly monitoring this project. I'd like to do this if the right bumpers are available, and especially if the GT valance becomes a reality.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 3 2017, 02:55 PM) *

I'm on the list on page 1, but am probably NOT in on this first run—unless we see samples of the GT front and early rear.

I am, however, still keenly monitoring this project. I'd like to do this if the right bumpers are available, and especially if the GT valance becomes a reality.

The GT valance and early rear bumper will not be part of the first bumper order, but if you're on the GB list and this project becomes a go (which is very likely) you will be offered a good discount. In your case if you are on the list now you will be waiting, but you will get the GB price on the front bumper.

I have no idea as of yet if I can get close to GB prices of the early rear due to lower volume. For sure the early rear will be more, it costs me a small fortune just to ship them the samples.
I likely will only offer a discount on the GT valance to those that buy my GT bumper in the GB. Mainly because again I expect this will be a low volume part.

Right now I have a enough on my plate with the front, late rear and GT front bumpers, plus I want to see the quality and nail down pricing before commit to the next batch.

horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 3 2017, 12:40 PM) *

The GT valance and early rear bumper will not be part of the first bumper order, but if you're on the GB list and this project becomes a go (which is very likely) you will be offered a good discount. In your case if you are on the list now you will be waiting, but you will get the GB price on the front bumper.

Ah, cool. Got it. Please keep me on the list, then. I am in no hurry on this, so no pressure from me.

And I am not all that worried about a price bump for the early rear if it's nice...you have been more than fair in your pricing.

Thanks, Mark!
Norskpole
QUOTE(Norskpole @ Jan 24 2017, 08:45 AM) *

Mine is correct (option C, E)

HI Mark, I have checked mine as correct...but you have me down as: Noskpie It is Norskpole
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Norskpole @ Feb 3 2017, 08:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Norskpole @ Jan 24 2017, 08:45 AM) *

Mine is correct (option C, E)

HI Mark, I have checked mine as correct...but you have me down as: Noskpie It is Norskpole

Wut? confused24.gif

Sorry I post the members by memory, as you can't just C&P it...I guess the memory was a fail that day. huh.gif

I'll go fix it shades.gif
mb911
I am not sure if it helps numbers but I would be interested in a gt front but I probably will do my own conversion because I am cheap.. Just throwing out there as you work through this.
iankarr
I'm in for a set. B,C,D. Thanks!
Mark Henry
Just an update, the supplier has told me they're about 2 weeks out from shipping me the samples. smile.gif
bahnzai
Mark,
Thanks for the update.
Once you approve the samples, is that when you would like the deposit?
Also, will the samples include the front bumper cooler mods, so you will have a better idea on the final costs?
Thanks for tackling this huge project!
Mark Henry
QUOTE(bahnzai @ Mar 4 2017, 11:30 AM) *

Mark,
Thanks for the update.
Once you approve the samples, is that when you would like the deposit?
Also, will the samples include the front bumper cooler mods, so you will have a better idea on the final costs?
Thanks for tackling this huge project!

Yes to all. biggrin.gif

Mark Henry
I've been asked by a few members if I will be doing early rear bumpers.

This will be started after this buy is done, but I want to confirm quality of this run before we start on early rears.
Unfortunately I doubt if I'll have the numbers for the GB pricing on the early rear. Right now the price is TBA.
I'm aiming for at worst case it will be the same regular price as late rear.

I will be selling bumpers at regular price after the buy and the pricing will still be pretty good.

BTW I will be getting 3 bumpers in the samples , standard front, GT front and a late rear.
pete000
popcorn[1].gif
JimFitz33
Mark,
Are you still taking orders? If so, I'd like a set with A,B,C,D

Best
Jim
Mark Henry
Yep it's still open and Yep still waiting for that "Your samples are ready" call. smile.gif

Highly doubt they are dogging it they know they have a big order to fill and they don't see a penny till I approve them.
I also warned them you guy's are a bunch of picky SOB's.

laugh.gif
Mark Henry
smile.gif
The sample bumpers should be ready to ship to me at the end of the week.
I asked for detailed pics just in case I can spot any mistakes before they ship.
I'll give a sneak peek at that time.

popcorn[1].gif
JRust
Damn I so want to be in on this. A GT front bumper & rear bumper are calling to me. I can't wait to see some pics
Puebloswatcop
I would love to be in on this as well, just want to be sure these would fit a '73 and a '74? Can't wait to see the pics
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.