Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oldest 914 restoration know to man, 9140430801 is finally getting some love
914forme
post Jan 23 2017, 08:58 PM
Post #1

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

Well I am pretty darn excited to start this project. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) It has been a long time coming.

Oldest 914-6 Restoration know to man has just gotten kicked into high gear.

The back story:

My father had owned several sports car and sporty cars in his life. His then current pride and joy was a Lotus Elan. That car gave me my first addiction into speed and driving fun. It was 1970s and I can remember sitting in the passenger seat, going down a road, top down. Wind was blowing through my blond curly locks. Yes I did have hair (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) And all I could see was the wood dashboard in front of me, and if I looked out the side, I could see the tops of the phone poles. If I looked to my left I could see my father grinning from ear to ear, like a cheesier cat. The other items I remember from my Lotus days was my father constantly under the hood. And the fact it was so low, that we would drive under the parking lot gates.

So it was a sad day when the lotus was sold. He did it just the same as I would have if in his shoes. He sold it to get the money to build his house. Dad by trade was an architect, I suppose he still is, he is just not practicing any more. So he built a very nice modern house for the three of use, and we moved. Boring cars filled the driveway at this point. A Ford Pinto, yes the blowy up kind. And an Audi 100, that was beige. That car was purchased wrecked. My father fixed it all up, and well we found out why it was wrecked. Every time it rained that car got hit. You would be sitting at a light and bam, rear ended. Driving down the road and get T-boned. It was crazy. Mom and Dad sold that car for all things a Triumph Stag. Really a lovely car after my father rewired the entire thing to exercise the Lucus Damons.

One day leaving his office he looked over at the repo lot next door. There sitting rather sadly at the back of the lot was a bright orange Porsche. Dad’s co worker and fellow car rebel rouser convinced him to go over and take a look. He knew it was a 914, he did not know until he got to the back of it what it really was. Sitting on two flat tires, with steel wheels and ugly hubcaps was a 914-6. Not sure how, but he got the money together and bought the -6. I can remember riding it just once. Not far from home we heard a odd sound coming from behind us, Dad shut off the engine, tossed it into neutral and we coasted home. Lucky it was a down hill run. Pushed it into the garage, and all hell cut loose.

Diagnosis from all his SCCA buds was more than likely a bad chain tensioner. Need to drop the engine and see what was up. Dad being Dad decided that was the perfect time to take it down to a almost bare chassis and start restoring the car. This was 1976 the car is only 6 years young. I spent many a day and night out in the garage with dad. He would be working on the -6 I would be playing like I was driving it.

Years past as I got older, I got into racing, my father supported me. First up was the gravity drags otherwise know as soap box derby. I ran these for three years until I got bored with it. Then cam motorcycles and motocross. We then switched to auto-x and that stuck with me for the rest of my life.

We also worked on a bunch of cars in that time frame. The first one we did together was when I was 14. It was a 1965 Jeep CJ5 he traded for some work we did on a guys basement. We got that finished and well Jeeps are not my thing. So we got Karmann Ghia, built it into a sleeper with bunch of parts we had from a 914-4 parts car. Redid the engine with a type-4 used a 911 5-speed, and all the suspension was redone. Going down one of the roads in the area, I keep hearing this loud roar of a V8 coming up onto me, we would hit the curves and it would fad away, and finally got out of the twisties, and heard it again. It was a guy in a vet, who I must have been really pissed off, as he could not keep up with my little VW in the corners. When I went to college dad drove the car to keep it “limber”. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) His six sat on the side line.

I graduated, got a job with Nancy Lowe, which also meant they found out I was into 914s and well I got to know Jon also. My daughter was born, and a month latter we found my 914-4.

Dad helped us build our house, and work on various cars, and vans, keep our budget down a bit as a young family. A few years ago, I got a Miata for my wife, for our 25th anniversary. We where married in 1989. The car built in November of 1989. She wanted one back in 1990, it is like I made the dream come true, only 25 years latter. I restored that car, and took my dad for a ride, he was hooked. And Mom was hooked too, so they found a 1994 M edition they liked. We picked it up, and I restored that car for them.

Years have passed and I have become blessed enough to have a career that I can afford to give a little back to my parents.

The Plan:

Originally it was going to be how I remembered the car. It did not have the sail vinyl or the warts on the front fender. He also had a top painted to match. I would like to build it the way he had envisioned it. As of today that plan might have changed. Some where along the way, he put the warts back on, and added the sail trim and vinyl and added a stock top.

I still plan on adding the following items.

I have a bunch of vintage speed parts I have been collecting over the years and picked up a few just recently. Thank you Scott, and Kerry your parts will be going to good use. And thank all you people who sold me stuff at the swaps like it was worth nothing in the 80s and 90s.

Engine: rebuild, add pressure feed tensioners, and turbo valve covers. Other items we will see what is wrong with the engine, it has been sitting a very long time.

Transmission: Add a LSD, convert the car to a side shifter, using Tangerine Racing parts, and JWest shifter.

Suspension: Add bushings, Bilstein Shocks, H&H Swaybar up front, maybe a stock rear swaybar. I have a set of mono ball front strut supports, and rear adjustable spring perches. Will also add turbo tie rods and a rack spacer to help with bump steer.

Brakes: will be stock, if not functioning PMB will get a call, and parts shipped out to them for rebuilding. I will also add bronze bushings to the pedal cluster.

Wheels and tires: I have a set of stock Mahles, hate to drive on them. I currently have a set of fake Mahles on it. Still looking for a set of Minilites in 6.5x15”. I should have never sold them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) I purchased my first set of Jon and Nancy Lowe. They used them on Nancy’s yellow 914-6 for autocross.

Fuel: Tangerine will come to the rescue again with a set of Chris’ fuel lines.

Electrical: JWest fuse box will be added, along with Spoke LEDs. A set of Period correct Cibie Z beams will be added, and a set of Cibie fogs will be added also. Audio wise I will add a small bluetooth amp, and leave the stock radio in place, just disconnected from the speakers.

Interior: Stock, but I will add a set of seat heaters to keep cold at bay. If passenger seat is not comfy for the wife, we will convert it over to a late style seat and back pad. At that point maybe change to a set of aftermarket seats. I would love a set of GTS LeMans (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

Exterior: I guessing it will be stock now. Though I am torn I liked the clean lines with out the sail panels vinyl, and warts, with the painted top. That is how Dad originally wanted it.

If the engine is not up to snuff, I will go with a small bump using Nickies, and a bump in compression. And some different cams, and a set of larger heat exchangers. Though I am really hoping to keep the costs down and live with the stock stuff it is in good working order.

Almost everything I will be doing is completely reversible, except a few exceptions and even they can be fixed if people want to drive a 914-6 with out sway bars. I would gladly do it if some one offered me stupid money for the car. As of right now it is more about the memories and giving back to my father.

So now I just need to get cracking: Wanting this done before April, would love to take Dad for a drive this spring. So what that also means, my 914 which is part of the Build Off Challenge will be resting for a little while. I had already packed up most of the part in anticipation of starting this project.

This is the garage it was stored in for 40 years.

Attached Image

Saturday I brought it to my shop. Rented a U-haul trailer as all my trailers are up at the farm. Car has not seen the light of day in 40+ years.

Attached Image

Now the for the fun part! Determining what is left todo on the car, and come up with a game plan.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jan 23 2017, 09:07 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

We will be waiting for the progress reports (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 23 2017, 09:13 PM
Post #3

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Screw the build off challenge. This car's the prize. Congrats!
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jan 23 2017, 09:18 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Stephen - I really enjoyed your read - excellent. Good for you and I am looking forward to seeing the progress. Cheers!!!

Tony
+Quote Post
amfab
post Jan 23 2017, 10:29 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 20,004

Great story, It was my dad that got me into Porsche's as well. Looking forward to the thread.
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Jan 23 2017, 10:50 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Yes this will be fun to follow- I too inherited the car gene from my dad and grandfather, and definitely passed it on to both my boys.

Got my 914 in the winter of 1970-1971. My dad liked it so much, he got one that spring. It joined the '69 912 my uncle (my dad's only brother) had.

Luckily dad was around to enjoy many of my toys (and his) and we went to many a race at various tracks around the midwest, usually in some type of Porsche until 1992 when he passed. Wish he was still around as I know he'd love a ride in the Spyder! Or either of the 914's!

Enjoy the rebuild, and enjoy taking good old dad on another ride !! My two 914's will stay in the family, one going to each boy... figure someday when I'm old and feable, they'll take me for a ride!!

+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jan 23 2017, 11:13 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

Awesome. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
Can't hardly wait to see you achieve your vision for this very special car.
You're a good son, son. Your dad is proud.
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Jan 23 2017, 11:26 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

A honorable project your doing for your dad....... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jan 24 2017, 02:26 AM
Post #9

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) Nice, I have my Dads -6 too,
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jan 24 2017, 04:55 AM
Post #10

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

There's something about Dad's cars.....

Enjoy the ride!
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 24 2017, 08:39 AM
Post #11

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

What a terrific read. I am looking forward to seeing this Six returned to the road. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 24 2017, 03:41 PM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892

Very cool how come larger heat exchangers? I would be happy to sell you a set should you need them but is it staying 2.0 or bigger?
+Quote Post
gms
post Jan 24 2017, 06:12 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,785

looks like a great project, does it even need paint?
+Quote Post
porbmw
post Jan 24 2017, 07:45 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 9,534

NICE!
Looking forward to some more pics...and progress reports!
And...good question...does it really need new paint ( I know, I know..these cars suffer from the elements...just askin') (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 24 2017, 08:32 PM
Post #15

Thank you all for the supportive comments.

Ben, No idea why I think I need a set of larger heat exchangers. More than likely no, as I don't plan on going large with this engine.

Glenn, no it does not need paint. I cleaned a section tonight just to check it out.

Attached Image

I think it will clean up very nice.

Cleaning the shop as some of the parts came to the shop with the car. And well it going through them all, as I had a bunch of -4 parts also with the parts stash. As well as me just dumping stuff in the shop, as I spent the last several weekends helping dad with projects around his house.

Last thing I did was put an ozone machine into the interior as it was a little musty. Hopefully get some time this weekend to assess the car, and see where we are at.
+Quote Post
Van914
post Jan 25 2017, 04:35 AM
Post #16

Van914

Member No.: 90

Stephen,
Can't wait to see it. Very nice!
Van
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 25 2017, 09:46 AM
Post #17

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Somebody, hide the welder. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 25 2017, 08:10 PM
Post #18

Kent, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) that being said there will be just a bit of TIG going on with this car. Need to weld in the sway bar re-enforecement. And the rear sway bar mounts.

And thank you Van, looking forward to getting this back out on the road.
+Quote Post
SixerJ
post Jan 26 2017, 05:07 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 16,042
Region Association: England

QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 26 2017, 02:10 AM) *

Kent, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) that being said there will be just a bit of TIG going on with this car. Need to weld in the sway bar re-enforecement. And the rear sway bar mounts.

And thank you Van, looking forward to getting this back out on the road.

Can you document how you do the swaybar reinforcement please, mine were just bolted in without proper support and A) need to repair the bent sheet metal B) need to fabricate proper mounts

Great story and history & looking forward to the next chapter. Wish I could say the same about my Dads cars.......Austin Maxi and Morris Marina Estates were hardly setting my world alight as a kid

My mums frends 911 Targa though, now we are talking
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 11 2017, 07:32 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(SixerJ @ Jan 26 2017, 06:07 PM) *

Can you document how you do the swaybar reinforcement please, mine were just bolted in without proper support and A) need to repair the bent sheet metal B) need to fabricate proper mounts

Thanks and well I originally did my own plates, but stumbled into these on eBay.

So I thought they where unique enough to pay for the idea. Brad did a great job on this one.

Attached Image

I also sourced the parts I need to install a latter style passenger seat. Thanks to Garold and his supply of parts cars, I got the front adjuster mount and a nice looking adjuster. And Stodard's came has a decent price on seat hinges and the sheet metal bases.

Attached Image

So since it was a nice day here in Ohio, I got out some zinc spray and coated the backside of these parts. That will seal them well and provide protection after I weld the pieces in.

Attached Image

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:17 AM