Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oldest 914 restoration know to man
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
914forme
Well I am pretty darn excited to start this project. piratenanner.gif It has been a long time coming.

Oldest 914-6 Restoration know to man has just gotten kicked into high gear.

The back story:

My father had owned several sports car and sporty cars in his life. His then current pride and joy was a Lotus Elan. That car gave me my first addiction into speed and driving fun. It was 1970s and I can remember sitting in the passenger seat, going down a road, top down. Wind was blowing through my blond curly locks. Yes I did have hair dry.gif And all I could see was the wood dashboard in front of me, and if I looked out the side, I could see the tops of the phone poles. If I looked to my left I could see my father grinning from ear to ear, like a cheesier cat. The other items I remember from my Lotus days was my father constantly under the hood. And the fact it was so low, that we would drive under the parking lot gates.

So it was a sad day when the lotus was sold. He did it just the same as I would have if in his shoes. He sold it to get the money to build his house. Dad by trade was an architect, I suppose he still is, he is just not practicing any more. So he built a very nice modern house for the three of use, and we moved. Boring cars filled the driveway at this point. A Ford Pinto, yes the blowy up kind. And an Audi 100, that was beige. That car was purchased wrecked. My father fixed it all up, and well we found out why it was wrecked. Every time it rained that car got hit. You would be sitting at a light and bam, rear ended. Driving down the road and get T-boned. It was crazy. Mom and Dad sold that car for all things a Triumph Stag. Really a lovely car after my father rewired the entire thing to exercise the Lucus Damons.

One day leaving his office he looked over at the repo lot next door. There sitting rather sadly at the back of the lot was a bright orange Porsche. Dad’s co worker and fellow car rebel rouser convinced him to go over and take a look. He knew it was a 914, he did not know until he got to the back of it what it really was. Sitting on two flat tires, with steel wheels and ugly hubcaps was a 914-6. Not sure how, but he got the money together and bought the -6. I can remember riding it just once. Not far from home we heard a odd sound coming from behind us, Dad shut off the engine, tossed it into neutral and we coasted home. Lucky it was a down hill run. Pushed it into the garage, and all hell cut loose.

Diagnosis from all his SCCA buds was more than likely a bad chain tensioner. Need to drop the engine and see what was up. Dad being Dad decided that was the perfect time to take it down to a almost bare chassis and start restoring the car. This was 1976 the car is only 6 years young. I spent many a day and night out in the garage with dad. He would be working on the -6 I would be playing like I was driving it.

Years past as I got older, I got into racing, my father supported me. First up was the gravity drags otherwise know as soap box derby. I ran these for three years until I got bored with it. Then cam motorcycles and motocross. We then switched to auto-x and that stuck with me for the rest of my life.

We also worked on a bunch of cars in that time frame. The first one we did together was when I was 14. It was a 1965 Jeep CJ5 he traded for some work we did on a guys basement. We got that finished and well Jeeps are not my thing. So we got Karmann Ghia, built it into a sleeper with bunch of parts we had from a 914-4 parts car. Redid the engine with a type-4 used a 911 5-speed, and all the suspension was redone. Going down one of the roads in the area, I keep hearing this loud roar of a V8 coming up onto me, we would hit the curves and it would fad away, and finally got out of the twisties, and heard it again. It was a guy in a vet, who I must have been really pissed off, as he could not keep up with my little VW in the corners. When I went to college dad drove the car to keep it “limber”. driving.gif His six sat on the side line.

I graduated, got a job with Nancy Lowe, which also meant they found out I was into 914s and well I got to know Jon also. My daughter was born, and a month latter we found my 914-4.

Dad helped us build our house, and work on various cars, and vans, keep our budget down a bit as a young family. A few years ago, I got a Miata for my wife, for our 25th anniversary. We where married in 1989. The car built in November of 1989. She wanted one back in 1990, it is like I made the dream come true, only 25 years latter. I restored that car, and took my dad for a ride, he was hooked. And Mom was hooked too, so they found a 1994 M edition they liked. We picked it up, and I restored that car for them.

Years have passed and I have become blessed enough to have a career that I can afford to give a little back to my parents.

The Plan:

Originally it was going to be how I remembered the car. It did not have the sail vinyl or the warts on the front fender. He also had a top painted to match. I would like to build it the way he had envisioned it. As of today that plan might have changed. Some where along the way, he put the warts back on, and added the sail trim and vinyl and added a stock top.

I still plan on adding the following items.

I have a bunch of vintage speed parts I have been collecting over the years and picked up a few just recently. Thank you Scott, and Kerry your parts will be going to good use. And thank all you people who sold me stuff at the swaps like it was worth nothing in the 80s and 90s.

Engine: rebuild, add pressure feed tensioners, and turbo valve covers. Other items we will see what is wrong with the engine, it has been sitting a very long time.

Transmission: Add a LSD, convert the car to a side shifter, using Tangerine Racing parts, and JWest shifter.

Suspension: Add bushings, Bilstein Shocks, H&H Swaybar up front, maybe a stock rear swaybar. I have a set of mono ball front strut supports, and rear adjustable spring perches. Will also add turbo tie rods and a rack spacer to help with bump steer.

Brakes: will be stock, if not functioning PMB will get a call, and parts shipped out to them for rebuilding. I will also add bronze bushings to the pedal cluster.

Wheels and tires: I have a set of stock Mahles, hate to drive on them. I currently have a set of fake Mahles on it. Still looking for a set of Minilites in 6.5x15”. I should have never sold them. headbang.gif I purchased my first set of Jon and Nancy Lowe. They used them on Nancy’s yellow 914-6 for autocross.

Fuel: Tangerine will come to the rescue again with a set of Chris’ fuel lines.

Electrical: JWest fuse box will be added, along with Spoke LEDs. A set of Period correct Cibie Z beams will be added, and a set of Cibie fogs will be added also. Audio wise I will add a small bluetooth amp, and leave the stock radio in place, just disconnected from the speakers.

Interior: Stock, but I will add a set of seat heaters to keep cold at bay. If passenger seat is not comfy for the wife, we will convert it over to a late style seat and back pad. At that point maybe change to a set of aftermarket seats. I would love a set of GTS LeMans drooley.gif

Exterior: I guessing it will be stock now. Though I am torn I liked the clean lines with out the sail panels vinyl, and warts, with the painted top. That is how Dad originally wanted it.

If the engine is not up to snuff, I will go with a small bump using Nickies, and a bump in compression. And some different cams, and a set of larger heat exchangers. Though I am really hoping to keep the costs down and live with the stock stuff it is in good working order.

Almost everything I will be doing is completely reversible, except a few exceptions and even they can be fixed if people want to drive a 914-6 with out sway bars. I would gladly do it if some one offered me stupid money for the car. As of right now it is more about the memories and giving back to my father.

So now I just need to get cracking: Wanting this done before April, would love to take Dad for a drive this spring. So what that also means, my 914 which is part of the Build Off Challenge will be resting for a little while. I had already packed up most of the part in anticipation of starting this project.

This is the garage it was stored in for 40 years.

Click to view attachment

Saturday I brought it to my shop. Rented a U-haul trailer as all my trailers are up at the farm. Car has not seen the light of day in 40+ years.

Click to view attachment

Now the for the fun part! Determining what is left todo on the car, and come up with a game plan.
914Sixer
We will be waiting for the progress reports popcorn[1].gif
mepstein
Screw the build off challenge. This car's the prize. Congrats!
Cracker
Stephen - I really enjoyed your read - excellent. Good for you and I am looking forward to seeing the progress. Cheers!!!

Tony
amfab
Great story, It was my dad that got me into Porsche's as well. Looking forward to the thread.
SKL1
Yes this will be fun to follow- I too inherited the car gene from my dad and grandfather, and definitely passed it on to both my boys.

Got my 914 in the winter of 1970-1971. My dad liked it so much, he got one that spring. It joined the '69 912 my uncle (my dad's only brother) had.

Luckily dad was around to enjoy many of my toys (and his) and we went to many a race at various tracks around the midwest, usually in some type of Porsche until 1992 when he passed. Wish he was still around as I know he'd love a ride in the Spyder! Or either of the 914's!

Enjoy the rebuild, and enjoy taking good old dad on another ride !! My two 914's will stay in the family, one going to each boy... figure someday when I'm old and feable, they'll take me for a ride!!

tygaboy
Awesome. popcorn[1].gif
Can't hardly wait to see you achieve your vision for this very special car.
You're a good son, son. Your dad is proud.
Coondog
A honorable project your doing for your dad....... smile.gif
sixnotfour
first.gif Nice, I have my Dads -6 too,
EdwardBlume
There's something about Dad's cars.....

Enjoy the ride!
Cairo94507
What a terrific read. I am looking forward to seeing this Six returned to the road. beerchug.gif
mb911
Very cool how come larger heat exchangers? I would be happy to sell you a set should you need them but is it staying 2.0 or bigger?
gms
looks like a great project, does it even need paint?
porbmw
NICE!
Looking forward to some more pics...and progress reports!
And...good question...does it really need new paint ( I know, I know..these cars suffer from the elements...just askin') beerchug.gif
914forme
Thank you all for the supportive comments.

Ben, No idea why I think I need a set of larger heat exchangers. More than likely no, as I don't plan on going large with this engine.

Glenn, no it does not need paint. I cleaned a section tonight just to check it out.

Click to view attachment

I think it will clean up very nice.

Cleaning the shop as some of the parts came to the shop with the car. And well it going through them all, as I had a bunch of -4 parts also with the parts stash. As well as me just dumping stuff in the shop, as I spent the last several weekends helping dad with projects around his house.

Last thing I did was put an ozone machine into the interior as it was a little musty. Hopefully get some time this weekend to assess the car, and see where we are at.
Van914
Stephen,
Can't wait to see it. Very nice!
Van
76-914
Somebody, hide the welder. av-943.gif
914forme
Kent, agree.gif that being said there will be just a bit of TIG going on with this car. Need to weld in the sway bar re-enforecement. And the rear sway bar mounts.

And thank you Van, looking forward to getting this back out on the road.
SixerJ
QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 26 2017, 02:10 AM) *

Kent, agree.gif that being said there will be just a bit of TIG going on with this car. Need to weld in the sway bar re-enforecement. And the rear sway bar mounts.

And thank you Van, looking forward to getting this back out on the road.

Can you document how you do the swaybar reinforcement please, mine were just bolted in without proper support and A) need to repair the bent sheet metal B) need to fabricate proper mounts

Great story and history & looking forward to the next chapter. Wish I could say the same about my Dads cars.......Austin Maxi and Morris Marina Estates were hardly setting my world alight as a kid

My mums frends 911 Targa though, now we are talking
914forme
QUOTE(SixerJ @ Jan 26 2017, 06:07 PM) *

Can you document how you do the swaybar reinforcement please, mine were just bolted in without proper support and A) need to repair the bent sheet metal B) need to fabricate proper mounts

Thanks and well I originally did my own plates, but stumbled into these on eBay.

So I thought they where unique enough to pay for the idea. Brad did a great job on this one.

Click to view attachment

I also sourced the parts I need to install a latter style passenger seat. Thanks to Garold and his supply of parts cars, I got the front adjuster mount and a nice looking adjuster. And Stodard's came has a decent price on seat hinges and the sheet metal bases.

Click to view attachment

So since it was a nice day here in Ohio, I got out some zinc spray and coated the backside of these parts. That will seal them well and provide protection after I weld the pieces in.

Click to view attachment

914forme
Well I continued on with my work over the weekend.

Installed a set of Spoke LEDs, and Cibie Z beams.

Click to view attachment

I then did the same on the rear, had to replace one of the Hella Rear lenses, thanks to Kelly white1975 I had a very nice unit to replace it with. beer.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I then started working on the front suspension and have found out what happens to a car that sits around for 40 years. Everything rusts up, and all the fluids turn to a pungent nasty smelling fluid that makes gear oil smell good.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

There where two trunk board in the front trunk confused24.gif which made a perfect place to build a mouse condo.

Click to view attachment

And then I found out why the brakes might not have worked as intended.

Click to view attachment

Somebody must have pretty strong leg to pull that off.

Looks like Eric is going to get a bunch of brake parts for his crew to rebuild.
Gcthielen
Stephen,
Great story! I too am in Dayton and just finished mechanical restoration of a long dormant -6. Please let me know if there is anything I can help you with. I am more of a vintage BMW guy (in fact, the Lowe's used to instruct for us at the BMW D/Es at mid ohio in the late 80's) but I have learned a lot going through the six.
GeorgeClick to view attachment
Cairo94507
Gcthielen - Is that a '71 Six in gold metallic? If so, if I can ask, what are the last 4 of the VIN?
Cheers, beerchug.gif Michael
mepstein
I know you already have the parts but if you want to keep the passenger seat original, tangerine has a bolt in kit.
914forme
George Cool project, we will have to get together at some point. beerchug.gif The Lowe's where very active in anything that had to do with driving at Mid Ohio. They loved their track time.

Thank you Mark, I ws getting ready to order Chris's parts and drop these up for sale.

I do that a lot headbang.gif
Gcthielen
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 28 2017, 08:29 AM) *

Gcthielen - Is that a '71 Six in gold metallic? If so, if I can ask, what are the last 4 of the VIN?
Cheers, beerchug.gif Michael

Yes sir! Just a bit before yours...0347!
rick 918-S
Wow! Great car! Great Story! aktion035.gif

And a second Great Car added to your thread! Gold is Cool and rare beerchug.gif
914forme
Thank you Rick it is greatly appreciated
914forme
So to get you caught up with my progress.

First up, rebuilt the steering rack, all cleaned up repacked, installed new turbo tie rods. All ready to go back into the car.

Click to view attachment

It was warm enough that I got some painting done to finish up the trans detailing Scott did.

Click to view attachment

Cleaned up the intermediate plate that I got form Carr914 - piratenanner.gif This has the boss I need for the stock throttle linkage, to add to Scott's side shifter.

Next up will be installing new bearings and swapping it into the side shifter. Waiting on the LSD I picked up from sixaddict. I was going to put a ZF into the side shifter, but when a Guard TB came up, I had to jump on it.

Click to view attachment

Got all the front suspension off, and all the brake stuff off. All 4 calipers I got the bleeders out with out breaking them. piratenanner.gif That just saved me a charge from Eric for EDM series, @ $80 a pop, it adds up.

I also packed up the struts to send to Chris, for a minor spindle raise.

Got the bushings off the A-arms, my 20 ton press, and a bearing race puller made short work of this.

I then test cited the Rebel Racing front bushings.

Click to view attachment

The fit fine, now the question comes down to this sleeve. Are you supposed to JB Weld it to the arm, or Locktite? It is fairly tight, but turns freely.

Click to view attachment

I now have to get these cleaned up, and painted or powder coated, still trying to decide that one. Mind says powder coat, pocket book says paint.

Oh and I got these in on Friday.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Never had a set with center caps, not sure if I like them. dry.gif

Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
I heard that paint my be preferable for the suspension arms as they can then be touched up. The powdercoating does get chipped I've been told. Either way, nice project and I love the Minilites.
mepstein
Shop around on the powdercoating. Shops can really vary with pricing. Powdercoating can save so much time vs diy and when it's done right, it's super hard to scratch or chip.

I got all these parts including the 914-6 oil tank done for $275.
914forme
Yes, I am thinking I will go with paint for now. I replaced my HF Sandblaster with a Barrel Blaster, great unit, and it is big enough for the suspension cross bar, A-arms.

I put an outdoor LED Flood light in the blaster, it works great piratenanner.gif

Fixed up my parts washer while I was at it. Added a little giant parts washer pump, a remote oil filter, and a Wix filter. A little 10 gallons of new parts washer fluid from Tractor Supply and I am in business. Upgraded my washer with a new parts washer brush with flow through fluid. Cleans very nice.

Now back to the -6

So far everything has been rust fuzed together. confused24.gif The rear disks where no exception. So I had to get out the big guns.

Click to view attachment

And after a lot of work, several coats of PB Blaster, smash.gif and the above puller, and finally I started a new universe with a big BANG!

Click to view attachment

Glad I had a couple lug nuts on it, or else it would shot across the shop.

Working on getting the ball joints off the A-Arms right now, looks like I will be cutting them off dry.gif Heat, PB, and a 3/4" impact wrench has not budged them. Was looking for some ATF, but found that I have none in the shop sad.gif Otherwise I would have mixed it with some acetone, and covered the ball joint nut. Worse case I will mount them in the mill and cut the flange and get new parts. confused24.gif
914forme
Not a lot of updates lately.

We have been a bit busy at work, and then I have been moving cars. VW bought back my TDI, I miss that car. Drove my truck for a bit, but it gets really old. So we went out looking for a Diesel SUV. Looking at Jeep Grand Cherokees from 2007-08. Why because they have a Merc diesel in them. The Merc will go for ever if taken care of.

And I found wahat I was looking for, started the negotiations, and thought I had it, called the dealer back, and he sold it. sad.gif But said since you want the Merc engine why not buy a Merc. WTF.gif The Mere had less miles, more features, and cost 2K less. piratenanner.gif We purchased the Merc.

Click to view attachment

So while I was doing PM on the Merc, waiting for 10 Quarts of oil to be sucked out the top side, I did some work on the -6.

I am changing the trans out for a side shifter, TB LSD, 904 mainsheet, custom gearing, and Tangerine Racing shifter parts, and a Rennshifter. The one issue with the Rennshifter in the 914-6 is it does not have provision for a hand throttle. I thought about using one of Chris' hand throttles but in the end I have a mill so lets make some chips.

First Off I marked it all out with layout dye. Make it so easy to see with my old eyes.

Click to view attachment

And almost all done, don't have more time tonight to work on it.

Click to view attachment

Baby steps makes progress.
914forme
Well I have been called out as a slacker thread so here you go the update of what I got done on the -6

Click to view attachment

Painted just as dad would have done it. Spindles raised just as I like to do it.

Thats it, been working on a ton of other stuff, just not 914 related.

I have picked up a very nice a few parts from the 914 world members. That is forward progress. dry.gif

I will be selling off a bunch of stuff shortly got 9 days to make a deal happen for a part for this car, and I need to generate some funds.

So I'll be selling off some Mahle gas burners, some Mini-lites, a Guard TB LSD, and a bunch of small parts, so I can fund something else for this car. If it does not happen it was not meant to be, but if it does, biggrin.gif
Dion
Nice progress Stephen. Looking good.
I like that shifter base. I need to place a slot in my JWest
plate as well for the hand throttle.
Staying tuned...
Cheers
914forme
Well in the quest to get this done, I am working on incremental progress. In other word, if I have a few minutes, I'll do a little work.

So on todays agenda, I got these off Ebay, and really don't like shinny plastic, so out comes the textured paint.

Click to view attachment

Both done with the base coat.

Click to view attachment

I used this

Click to view attachment

Now weather I should clear it

Click to view attachment

The cleared section is on the right of the horn button.
914forme
A bit of progress today as I finally got the front brake lines to bust loose. I bit of smash.gif and lots of ATF mixed with Acetone, finally got them off both sides of the front.

piratenanner.gif

That means I can start working on the front swaybar install now.

Click to view attachment

I have also decided that a none running 914-6 is a not fun 914-6. So I got a few parts in today, and will be picking up something to help move this along from Mark this week.

Click to view attachment

This might help you identify what I am about to do.

Click to view attachment

And these should help you a lot. Cats is out of the bag shades.gif

Click to view attachment

Manifold and other parts to bust on a set of Triple Speeds to a 911 engine. EFI and modern spark in a 914-6. I really hate carbs and was going to stick with them, but now the stock carbs, will stick with the original engine and trans.

No reason to screw up original parts when you can add a bit more go while in the end spending less or the same dough happy11.gif

That is it for the updates, hopefully I will get to getting the front swaybar installed and some other bits done tomorrow in-between painting another project.
mb911
QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 5 2017, 04:55 PM) *

A bit of progress today as I finally got the front brake lines to bust loose. I bit of smash.gif and lots of ATF mixed with Acetone, finally got them off both sides of the front.

piratenanner.gif

That means I can start working on the front swaybar install now.

Click to view attachment

I have also decided that a none running 914-6 is a not fun 914-6. So I got a few parts in today, and will be picking up something to help move this along from Mark this week.

Click to view attachment

This might help you identify what I am about to do.

Click to view attachment

And these should help you a lot. Cats is out of the bag shades.gif

Click to view attachment

Manifold and other parts to bust on a set of Triple Speeds to a 911 engine. EFI and modern spark in a 914-6. I really hate carbs and was going to stick with them, but now the stock carbs, will stick with the original engine and trans.

No reason to screw up original parts when you can add a bit more go while in the end spending less or the same dough happy11.gif

That is it for the updates, hopefully I will get to getting the front swaybar installed and some other bits done tomorrow in-between painting another project.

Very interesting.. I am considering something like this.. I want to use a stock airfilter assembly and would go with fuel injection in trade of my webers if I could..

jd74914
That looks like a nice piece of kit! My dad and I keep looking at if for his 911. Very jealous! Are you planning on using the AEM Infinity ecu a bunch of people on pelican have used with that setup?
914forme
Ben,

My stock Air filter as the I got a bit of fuel spray and got a bit to hot syndrome. So I picked up a metal housing off a 911, will have to do a bit of work on it to clean it up, I would love to use it thou, as it keeps a nice sleeper look.

If not I will go with filters and run 906ish Rain Shields , with a bit of a twist, I would like to have cones on the bottom side over the velocity stacks to divert the air pulses instead of blasting it back down the intake. I would have to have a huge runner to make intake pulse running work at the desired RPM. As this will be mainly a street car, I will say the RPMs will be limited except when I need to hear the Revs. Most likely every time I leave in 1st. Im getting older and lets face it, reaction times slow down.

Jim,

As far as fuel injection controller, it will be SDS, as I have one here sitting in the bin ready to go onto something. It might as well be this six. Which means the EG33 swap car will go with MS3 Pro. I will be able to rev it up on the start line, engine pumping and thumping in time. And use that launch control like the EVO and WRX guys do. Oh and any time I can work part of a Cake lyric into a post aktion035.gif
mb911
QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 6 2017, 04:23 AM) *

Ben,

My stock Air filter as the I got a bit of fuel spray and got a bit to hot syndrome. So I picked up a metal housing off a 911, will have to do a bit of work on it to clean it up, I would love to use it thou, as it keeps a nice sleeper look.

If not I will go with filters and run 906ish Rain Shields , with a bit of a twist, I would like to have cones on the bottom side over the velocity stacks to divert the air pulses instead of blasting it back down the intake. I would have to have a huge runner to make intake pulse running work at the desired RPM. As this will be mainly a street car, I will say the RPMs will be limited except when I need to hear the Revs. Most likely every time I leave in 1st. Im getting older and lets face it, reaction times slow down.

Jim,

As far as fuel injection controller, it will be SDS, as I have one here sitting in the bin ready to go onto something. It might as well be this six. Which means the EG33 swap car will go with MS3 Pro. I will be able to rev it up on the start line, engine pumping and thumping in time. And use that launch control like the EVO and WRX guys do. Oh and any time I can work part of a Cake lyric into a post aktion035.gif

1.5 inch heat exchangers would be perfect for you ..
914forme
Well after a very frustrating day at work, I got back to wrenching, always clears your mind. Some people like to golf, some ride motorcycles ( I would kill myself on a bike) and well I wrench.

So I fired up the lathe and cut down some metal inserts for a set of Minilites I have. Got thant done, need to toss them in to the freezer and they should drop in, and expand out to fully seat. Other wise you would have to press them into the mag hub. wacko.gif

Next up I decided to remove the shifter lock in the trans I purchased, The lock was to keep it out of first gear.

Just a simple piece of EMT slid of the shifter rod. Okay easy enough to fix.

Click to view attachment

Okay something is missing here headbang.gif

Luckily we have parts

This is what it should look like.

Click to view attachment

One step forward 2 steps back. headbang.gif
mb911
Keep up the good work.. I actually made a little progress today myself. Floor pan, firewall , longs almost done.
914forme
Ben that is great.

So I spent lots of time today with paint stripper on a different project but while I wait for paint to bubble I started looking through all my transmission parts seeing what I have and if I need anything or not.

So counting gear teeth blink.gif Eyes are all crossed, and the beagle keep barking which would distract me and make me lose count. But I got it done cheer.gif

No real first gear, the spare I have is a 11/32 or A needs synchro teeth looks like someone liked to grind 1st headbang.gif poor first gear set.

Stuff out of this trans is beautiful, so I need to find as nice of stuff to drop in for first gear.

On that quest I have added this post.

Now back to the build

Tore the trans down just to make sure I knew what gears where in it.

1st gear - is missing
2nd gear - is a 15:36 C 2.4
3rd gear - is a 23:29 N 1.261
4th gear - is a 29:23 Z 0.7931
5th gear - is a 32:19 or a Flipped H at 0.5950

Wow that is a called geared trans

My plan is to put an A in for 1st gear 11:34 A 3.091 Only use it to get going like on a hill if need be.

With the C gear in 2nd place your going 12.9MPH at 2000 RPM running 23" tires. That is a 205/50-15 on a 6.5" rim.

The H gear will be used only on the freeway and above 70 MPH.

So lets see what this tranny looks like aktion035.gif

You can see a Quaffe TBD in there such a nice sight to see

Click to view attachment

Gear Stacks look good

Click to view attachment

904 Main Shaft aktion035.gif

Click to view attachment

Stock Main shaft just for reference if you never seen one, 2nd gear is a fixed gear on the stock units.

Click to view attachment

Starting to put it back together and hunting for a good 1st gear assembly.

Click to view attachment

Thats not it, engagement teeth are all ground down.

Next

Click to view attachment

Inplace

Click to view attachment

And now the slider and bolt

Click to view attachment

A, B, or C

Click to view attachment

And last but not least I got these adapters knocked off the CV trans flanges

Click to view attachment

More than likely sell them, don't think I'll be making enough HP to be popping CVs all day long.

idea.gif

Maybe I should keep them just incase I need a set of 930 CVs happy11.gif
white1975
I have tranny tools if you need to borrow them to set it up Kerry

I have a couple of spare trannys 3 I think 1 tale and 2 side
914forme
Thank you for the offer, I'll let you know if I need anything.
914forme
So for an update.

I am officially stalled. Not do to not working on things, just do to not having time due to other priorities taking precedence.

What has been done since the last post.

I got first gear assembled and tranny back together piratenanner.gif

I got the passenger side front break line off dry.gif Yes I it is the brake line, but I had to break them to get them out. Rusty as hell, I hope that is not a sign of more rust.

Sorry no pictures, I had couple of minutes, get it done, instead of wasting time on pictures.

The life items:

Buried a co-worker who was 21 years old, great kid, was great to see him becoming a man. sad.gif Motorcycle, he was rear ended, waiting to make the left turn, some one did not see him stoped and hit him at 55 MPH. Not only is the lose of life bad, the other kid who hit him is now dealing with that pain also. Southwest Ohio farming community, actually near Dr. Evil's place. This was one of the hardest things I have done as a leader, lot easier when us old dogs die. sad.gif

Traveling for work

Heck I have the engine for this car sitting in a warehouse right now, have not even had time to go over there and look at it. confused24.gif You would have thought that would have been a priority. dry.gif

Farm work, and rental property work. Wife is redoing a house with my father, I am now helping get electrical work done. This will be my last weekend for that stuff lol-2.gif av-943.gif screwy.gif Been telling myself that for the last 3 weekends. See the light at the end of the tunnel, thinking I can get there, have a feeling something will pull me back in. sad.gif My guess will it be plumbing. Though I would prefer it to be setting the final grade around the house.

I could use a bit of dozer and excavation time, to get some of the stress off. I have no problem digging holes and filling them back in if I get to use large pieces of equipment that have names like Cat, Deere, of Bob in their names.... shades.gif
76-914
QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 18 2017, 05:40 AM) *

So for an update.

I am officially stalled. Not do to not working on things, just do to not having time due to other priorities taking precedence.

What has been done since the last post.

I got first gear assembled and tranny back together piratenanner.gif

I got the passenger side front break line off dry.gif Yes I it is the brake line, but I had to break them to get them out. Rusty as hell, I hope that is not a sign of more rust.

Sorry no pictures, I had couple of minutes, get it done, instead of wasting time on pictures.

The life items:

Buried a co-worker who was 21 years old, great kid, was great to see him becoming a man. sad.gif Motorcycle, he was rear ended, waiting to make the left turn, some one did not see him stoped and hit him at 55 MPH. Not only is the lose of life bad, the other kid who hit him is now dealing with that pain also. Southwest Ohio farming community, actually near Dr. Evil's place. This was one of the hardest things I have done as a leader, lot easier when us old dogs die. sad.gif

Traveling for work

Heck I have the engine for this car sitting in a warehouse right now, have not even had time to go over there and look at it. confused24.gif You would have thought that would have been a priority. dry.gif

Farm work, and rental property work. Wife is redoing a house with my father, I am now helping get electrical work done. This will be my last weekend for that stuff lol-2.gif av-943.gif screwy.gif Been telling myself that for the last 3 weekends. See the light at the end of the tunnel, thinking I can get there, have a feeling something will pull me back in. sad.gif My guess will it be plumbing. Though I would prefer it to be setting the final grade around the house.

I could use a bit of dozer and excavation time, to get some of the stress off. I have no problem digging holes and filling them back in if I get to use large pieces of equipment that have names like Cat, Deere, of Bob in their names.... shades.gif

You know who you can call if you have a plumbing question, Stephen. rolleyes.gif
914forme
Thank you Kent, still messing with electrical screwy.gif
914forme
Now to keep me off the slacker list poke.gif

Did a few things 914-6 related piratenanner.gif

First up Passenger side sway bar mount. At least Prep.

For refresher I am using Brad's mount on the 914-6 aktion035.gif

Click to view attachment

So I signed up the backside with the notch in the wheel well and used a transfer punch to set my first screw location. Drilled it, opened it ou for the bolt, and bolted it together. Moved the transfer punch to the next hole, and got a center mark, and drilled it out. I then bolted the sway bar mount in place to give me the location of the lower hole. I marked the center, and then drilled a pilot and then used a step drill to punch it out to clear the not on he back side of the Brad's outer plate.

That all done it looks like this.

Click to view attachment'

So then I need to mark the center one the swatbar location. Since I was missing time on my metal lathe, I turned a spacer down.

Click to view attachment

Fits like a precision glove, well because it is a precision fit.

Click to view attachment

Transfer punch inserted in the last picture , give it a few hits with the hammer, and disassemble the pieces one last time. Probably not dry.gif

Drill a pilot hole and then drill the hole.

Click to view attachment

Tools of the trade to fit these, in a pile on the floor.

Click to view attachment

Small Ball Peen hammer
Socke wrench, extension and socket
Transfer Punches
Close Quarters drill - pilot holes
1/2 inch drill - step drill
Rotabroach to drill the big hole

Final Big hole drilled

Click to view attachment

And in place, well I', holding it in place, did not feel like bolting it all together to take it apart again.

Click to view attachment

Next up for this side is clean the undercoating. Scuff up the paint, and JB weld it to the car. Yes normally I would weld, but since I don't want to repaint, where the weld would burn off paint, it will be JB Weld. Brad says it will work, and I see no reason it would not work.

I tend to measure project success and the amount of fun I have had by the number of chips, pile of metal shavings, and metal abound.

Click to view attachment

Successful and fun day piratenanner.gif

Oh the not fun part of my day, I have been working on one of the sets of MiniLites I have. Prepping for paint, as they where in good condition. But lots of small paint chips, and different colors. So following the instructions off a wheel restore that works on Ferrari Mag wheels I got to this point.

Click to view attachment

That one was sitting on my stool that turns, hate the stool, but it does a great job for painting wheels

Click to view attachment

And the last one, all where baking in the afternoon sun

Click to view attachment

Hope to get a bit more done on the wheels over the week, but maybe I will focus on the sway bar mounts and install. Would like to start having the car go back together.

And well my plan is to put it together, as McMark says a running driving 914 beats any of them that are on jack stands any day.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.