Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oldest 914 restoration know to man
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
914forme
Thats a nice looking Derby car, anything special under that skin? Where you part of this story?
914forme
So more parts came in over the week.

First up new oil tank.

Click to view attachment

Yes thank you Ben. I do have two factory original -6 tanks that will stay on the shelf. I see no need to spend time to clean restore, patch or what ever else I have to do to make them right.

Pete and I traded some parts a while back, and I got this supper nice muffler off of him. Again have the factory stock part, but this one will work nicely.

Click to view attachment

Just needs a bit of cleanup, and has a nice chrome tip

Chris came through again with these nice bearing retainers.

Click to view attachment

108 transmission drive flanges and bolts.

Click to view attachment

Bolts in backwards so I don't loose them

Finally got the 2.7L 911 engine home, had to unload it out of the truck. I really need a gantry, normally I have a tractor around with a front end loader for this stuff. So I had to make due with what I had.

Click to view attachment

Used my Warn winch to pull it off the truck.

Click to view attachment

Several tense moments and it was out and flat on the lift

Click to view attachment

I got the engine uncrated, torn down to a long block and on the stand.

Click to view attachment

Need to spend some time cleaning it up. Looks good, add some oil, spin it around and see if it still turns over.

Fingers crossed.

Only thing out of place was these.

Click to view attachment

Maple seeds seem to get into everything.

76-914
What are the plans for the 2.7. Complete tear down & rebuild? beerchug.gif
914forme
Nope roll the dice and see what I got. I might build a test stand for it, I might not, but some how, some way that 2.7 will get fired up to see what it has.

As long as it don't smoke like a Honda and has good compression and leak down numbers I will most likely run it. If not then I will get into and most likely while I'm hereitis will kick in. Then I must do crazy things like change the displacement and compression and since I did that I'll need Nickies, and since I did that I'll need new cams, and since I did that I might as well.......

huh.gif

Gotta to know yourself, in this case know your tendency to overbuild and make stuff better. A 914-6 with 75-100HP bump in power will be a fun car to driving.gif

A 914-6 with 150HP bump in power built out to 2.9L running dual plugs and higher compression will only be more fun 10% of the time with 400% additional costs.

Heck if it only needs a top end rebuild it will likely still cost about $2K. For that I could get a nice Subaru donor poke.gif

Y'all don't get you panties bunched, I won't be doing that to a 914-6. I have come to the realization I really want to break the welder out and add a bit of welder.gif to the car.

I also have to hold off on that, and just get it driving for now.

I'm not building a garage princess, cars are meant to be driven. This one proves what happens when they are not.
76-914
agree.gif My philosophy as well. Get 'em started as soon as possible so you know what's next up. beerchug.gif
worn
Nice to find a builder with a sense of proportion. Good luck. I bought a 3.2 sight unseen from a wrecked 911. A lot of drama when it was first lit, but I have gotten a lot of smiles out of it.
914forme
Today marks the day my life has forever changed. The great man who was my father passed away just after midnight today. In the end none of this really matters.

I am not deeply saddened by this as the man I knew was gone for the most part a while ago. Back in October Dad had surgery and while physically he made it out with a clean bill of health the anesthesia really aggravated his Alzheimer's to the point it was a struggle for him to stay in reality. As he called them the visions became more aggressive, and the worse hours where between 4:30 and dawn. These vision got worse and worse over the months.

In an instant everything has changed in my life, that is the way it works, in an instant. Once there was a man who taught me about cars, and the love of sport cars, helped me rebuild cars all my life. He taught me to be a musician to the level he could, and then supported me through my career to a professional. He supported me in my career change to computer sciences. We built houses together, and rebuilt several cars over the years. 11 of them to be exact. He never did his own stuff, started lots of projects but never got "his" done, as he said it was always more fun working on other peoples projects. He was the kind of guy that would not give you a dollar, but would be first in line to put a roof over your head. Tornados, fires, just a home repair, dad always rolled up his sleeves and jumped in to help. That is what I am going to miss, just working with him, just like his father, they taught me so much, and I doubt I can ever rise to their greatness or just general compassion for my fellow men.

Thank you, I am blessed to have called you father, to be born into such a wonderful house that taught me to be who I am. I only hope I was a good student and I make you proud.

Farewell, can't wait to see you one the flip side, where we do not hurt, or feel the pain, and sorrow of this life.

Love you, you may be gone but never forgotten.

Dion
Stephen.... thanks for sharing that. That is beautiful.
I would have been honored to meet him. Sounds like one cool cat.
Stay strong my friend.
I hope 2019 allows you time on your project. I wish your family well in this
troubled time period.
mb911
@914forme

I am sorry to hear your news.. I know you will push on .. Please take care.
TravisNeff
Stephen, sorry about your loss. I appreciate you sharing the memories.
white1975
sorry for your loss lost my dad 4 years ago Kerry
tygaboy
Stephen - Know that we are all thinking of you and your family.
Love and peace to you all,
Chris
76-914
sad.gif
Chris H.
So sorry for your loss Stephen sad.gif .
914forme
Thank you all for thoughts prayers and sentiments, we all pass this hurdle in time. Time will heal the pain, if you have the proper mindset about it. Yes we have a lot of lows at this time, but we also have lots of highs.

"'Cause the passion and the pain
Are gonna keep you alive someday"
Cairo94507
Stephen - Condolences on the passing of your father. He is now resting in peace and I pray you only remember the good times.
krazykonrad
Thoughts and prayers. We are here for you.

Konrad
theer
Stephen,

Losing your father leaves a hole in your universe, no doubt about it.

My best to you and your family in this difficult time.

Tom

jkb944t
Thoughts and prayers are with you during a difficult time. It sounds like you had a fantastic father and enjoyed many good times together so you can definitely be grateful for that.

Jeff B
housepumpinpc
Stephen, I was reading through this, starting at the beginning. Then I get to this about your father passing. I understand fully, lost my dad in 2016. Was working on his dream car. Never got to finish. I realized, over time, that it was never about a car. It was about the journey, the bond that you had. I have friends whose dad died while they were young, some whose dad didn't even bother. Yours was there, that was a blessing. I'm sorry for you and your family's loss. Thank you for sharing your journey with us.
bigkensteele
That was a beautiful memorial you wrote. You and your family are in my prayers.
914forme
Thank you, thank you, and thank you. It is touching to me, and even makes me more grateful for this community.

We laid dad to rest yesterday, It was a great day of fellowship, and remembrance. We had a meal for everyone that wished to attend, and I got to hear how dad touched so many lives. It was a great day I will never forget.

It has also been very nice to see Dad gave Mom one last great gift. That was the gift of finding Mom a community that she could function and thrive in. She is at a great retirement community where she is living in independent care. She goes down each day, and has here Breakfast with a gathering of friends she has made there. If we are out and about, and it is getting close to dinner she wants to know if we will make it back. If we are cutting it close, I have barely got the car stopped her door is flying open, and she is at full speed to get to the table. They are likewise happy to see here, getting her a spot at the table.

It is great seeing my mother living and getting stronger. Because of these events, people have grown closer together, and strained relations where bonded. Amazing how even in the end he was able to do great things.

From here Dad would say get on with it, we have things to do, and people to help. I am going to take a few days for my self and my family to recoup and reorganize then back at it. He is right lots of people to help become better, lots of small acts of kindness that people need everyday. Even if it is just a smile or holding a door open, making eye contact with your barista instead of staring at your phone and muttering your order and treating them like they are a machine.

That is why I will say I am grateful for all your well wishes, thoughts and prayers.
Valy
Condolences.
ConeDodger
Stephen,
I just read this thread front to back. Props!

Condolences on the loss of your father. But having read this front to back, I can see that he lives on in your head, your heart, and your hands. Of that, there is no doubt.
914forme
Thank you everyone, we are working on the estate right now, luckily we have it all planned out. So far no surprises, except one of our attorneys cancelled out meeting due to strep throat. icon8.gif He can keep that crap to himself.

So what have I been working on, spent the last two weekends going and locating paperwork. dry.gif

today, I took Dad's truck to the junkyard. sad.gif Cost more to fix than it was worth, and it is too small for the crap I do. It would have been about 3 grand to fix, and well I would rather spend 3 grand on this car. Wife agrees so, off it went.

I made it into the shop today and actually got some stuff done on this car, but it was a filler item. I was working on a project for Mom, and for the wife.

My grand father carved this out of one solid timber way back in the 90s.

Click to view attachment

Mom wants it hung in her apartment up high above a window with a slight angle down so you can see it. So I did some testing 30 degrees, makes the cover fall off, so I stepped back, and tested out 15 degrees that worked. So I made some brackets to hang it.

Click to view attachment

Very ugly right now, I will clean them up and get them coated.

Wife had an item on my list also. We purchased a new bed frame, the old one had an incident, that left it a bit less than desirable. So I have to make new brackets to mount the old headboard to the new frame.

Click to view attachment

Slots where done using my Sherline Mill, fells good to make some chips fly again.

So that made we think of other things to work on. I have and I am in the process of purchasing the world supply of 914 H&H rear swaybars. screwy.gif I do not like the funky linkage they have on them, idea.gif I can fix that.

First up get the dang things off the set of shock bolts I got with the setup. smash.gif

Click to view attachment

Next up take the bolt over to the metal lathe and make more chips, and curly Qs, oh this is so much fun.

Click to view attachment

I centered it, then drilled it out to 5/16" to then tap it to 3/8-16 so I could install a bolt into the bolt.

Next up more chips flying and I had to make the spacers to get the drop links to align with the trailing arm and the swaybar arms. And this is what I came up with.

Click to view attachment

They are tapered at the end to allow the rod end room to pivot.

And all done.

Click to view attachment

Need to clean up, and get them anodized and plated. These little projects took longer than I wanted today, but I had a lot of fun, got some machine time in, got some welding and fabrication time. I can't complain.
ndfrigi
bump to top!
euro911
Sorry to hear about the loss of your dad sad.gif Please accept my condolences.
Jett
QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 19 2019, 08:47 PM) *

Thank you everyone, we are working on the estate right now, luckily we have it all planned out. So far no surprises, except one of our attorneys cancelled out meeting due to strep throat. icon8.gif He can keep that crap to himself.

So what have I been working on, spent the last two weekends going and locating paperwork. dry.gif

today, I took Dad's truck to the junkyard. sad.gif Cost more to fix than it was worth, and it is too small for the crap I do. It would have been about 3 grand to fix, and well I would rather spend 3 grand on this car. Wife agrees so, off it went.

I made it into the shop today and actually got some stuff done on this car, but it was a filler item. I was working on a project for Mom, and for the wife.

My grand father carved this out of one solid timber way back in the 90s.

Click to view attachment

Mom wants it hung in her apartment up high above a window with a slight angle down so you can see it. So I did some testing 30 degrees, makes the cover fall off, so I stepped back, and tested out 15 degrees that worked. So I made some brackets to hang it.

Click to view attachment

Very ugly right now, I will clean them up and get them coated.

Wife had an item on my list also. We purchased a new bed frame, the old one had an incident, that left it a bit less than desirable. So I have to make new brackets to mount the old headboard to the new frame.

Click to view attachment

Slots where done using my Sherline Mill, fells good to make some chips fly again.

So that made we think of other things to work on. I have and I am in the process of purchasing the world supply of 914 H&H rear swaybars. screwy.gif I do not like the funky linkage they have on them, idea.gif I can fix that.

First up get the dang things off the set of shock bolts I got with the setup. smash.gif

Click to view attachment

Next up take the bolt over to the metal lathe and make more chips, and curly Qs, oh this is so much fun.

Click to view attachment

I centered it, then drilled it out to 5/16" to then tap it to 3/8-16 so I could install a bolt into the bolt.

Next up more chips flying and I had to make the spacers to get the drop links to align with the trailing arm and the swaybar arms. And this is what I came up with.

Click to view attachment

They are tapered at the end to allow the rod end room to pivot.

And all done.

Click to view attachment

Need to clean up, and get them anodized and plated. These little projects took longer than I wanted today, but I had a lot of fun, got some machine time in, got some welding and fabrication time. I can't complain.

The carving is amazing!
914forme
agree.gif GrandPa was a talented man. Master Electrician, Plumber, and Carpenter.

I never got that good at carving, have lots of scares to prove my attempts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.