Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V « < 5 6 7  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oldest 914 restoration know to man, 9140430801 is finally getting some love
bigkensteele
post Jan 2 2019, 05:14 PM
Post #121

Major Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

That was a beautiful memorial you wrote. You and your family are in my prayers.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 5 2019, 12:14 PM
Post #122

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

Thank you, thank you, and thank you. It is touching to me, and even makes me more grateful for this community.

We laid dad to rest yesterday, It was a great day of fellowship, and remembrance. We had a meal for everyone that wished to attend, and I got to hear how dad touched so many lives. It was a great day I will never forget.

It has also been very nice to see Dad gave Mom one last great gift. That was the gift of finding Mom a community that she could function and thrive in. She is at a great retirement community where she is living in independent care. She goes down each day, and has here Breakfast with a gathering of friends she has made there. If we are out and about, and it is getting close to dinner she wants to know if we will make it back. If we are cutting it close, I have barely got the car stopped her door is flying open, and she is at full speed to get to the table. They are likewise happy to see here, getting her a spot at the table.

It is great seeing my mother living and getting stronger. Because of these events, people have grown closer together, and strained relations where bonded. Amazing how even in the end he was able to do great things.

From here Dad would say get on with it, we have things to do, and people to help. I am going to take a few days for my self and my family to recoup and reorganize then back at it. He is right lots of people to help become better, lots of small acts of kindness that people need everyday. Even if it is just a smile or holding a door open, making eye contact with your barista instead of staring at your phone and muttering your order and treating them like they are a machine.

That is why I will say I am grateful for all your well wishes, thoughts and prayers.
+Quote Post
Valy
post Jan 6 2019, 03:31 AM
Post #123

Member No.: 11,573
Region Association: Northern California

Condolences.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jan 6 2019, 07:34 AM
Post #124

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Stephen,
I just read this thread front to back. Props!

Condolences on the loss of your father. But having read this front to back, I can see that he lives on in your head, your heart, and your hands. Of that, there is no doubt.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 19 2019, 10:47 PM
Post #125

Thank you everyone, we are working on the estate right now, luckily we have it all planned out. So far no surprises, except one of our attorneys cancelled out meeting due to strep throat. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) He can keep that crap to himself.

So what have I been working on, spent the last two weekends going and locating paperwork. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

today, I took Dad's truck to the junkyard. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Cost more to fix than it was worth, and it is too small for the crap I do. It would have been about 3 grand to fix, and well I would rather spend 3 grand on this car. Wife agrees so, off it went.

I made it into the shop today and actually got some stuff done on this car, but it was a filler item. I was working on a project for Mom, and for the wife.

My grand father carved this out of one solid timber way back in the 90s.

Attached Image

Mom wants it hung in her apartment up high above a window with a slight angle down so you can see it. So I did some testing 30 degrees, makes the cover fall off, so I stepped back, and tested out 15 degrees that worked. So I made some brackets to hang it.

Attached Image

Very ugly right now, I will clean them up and get them coated.

Wife had an item on my list also. We purchased a new bed frame, the old one had an incident, that left it a bit less than desirable. So I have to make new brackets to mount the old headboard to the new frame.

Attached Image

Slots where done using my Sherline Mill, fells good to make some chips fly again.

So that made we think of other things to work on. I have and I am in the process of purchasing the world supply of 914 H&H rear swaybars. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) I do not like the funky linkage they have on them, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) I can fix that.

First up get the dang things off the set of shock bolts I got with the setup. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Attached Image

Next up take the bolt over to the metal lathe and make more chips, and curly Qs, oh this is so much fun.

Attached Image

I centered it, then drilled it out to 5/16" to then tap it to 3/8-16 so I could install a bolt into the bolt.

Next up more chips flying and I had to make the spacers to get the drop links to align with the trailing arm and the swaybar arms. And this is what I came up with.

Attached Image

They are tapered at the end to allow the rod end room to pivot.

And all done.

Attached Image

Need to clean up, and get them anodized and plated. These little projects took longer than I wanted today, but I had a lot of fun, got some machine time in, got some welding and fabrication time. I can't complain.
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Dec 3 2020, 12:04 AM
Post #126

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

bump to top!
+Quote Post
euro911
post Dec 3 2020, 03:02 AM
Post #127

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Sorry to hear about the loss of your dad (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Please accept my condolences.
+Quote Post
Jett
post Dec 3 2020, 10:22 AM
Post #128

Member No.: 17,686
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 19 2019, 08:47 PM) *

Thank you everyone, we are working on the estate right now, luckily we have it all planned out. So far no surprises, except one of our attorneys cancelled out meeting due to strep throat. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) He can keep that crap to himself.

So what have I been working on, spent the last two weekends going and locating paperwork. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

today, I took Dad's truck to the junkyard. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Cost more to fix than it was worth, and it is too small for the crap I do. It would have been about 3 grand to fix, and well I would rather spend 3 grand on this car. Wife agrees so, off it went.

I made it into the shop today and actually got some stuff done on this car, but it was a filler item. I was working on a project for Mom, and for the wife.

My grand father carved this out of one solid timber way back in the 90s.

Attached Image

Mom wants it hung in her apartment up high above a window with a slight angle down so you can see it. So I did some testing 30 degrees, makes the cover fall off, so I stepped back, and tested out 15 degrees that worked. So I made some brackets to hang it.

Attached Image

Very ugly right now, I will clean them up and get them coated.

Wife had an item on my list also. We purchased a new bed frame, the old one had an incident, that left it a bit less than desirable. So I have to make new brackets to mount the old headboard to the new frame.

Attached Image

Slots where done using my Sherline Mill, fells good to make some chips fly again.

So that made we think of other things to work on. I have and I am in the process of purchasing the world supply of 914 H&H rear swaybars. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) I do not like the funky linkage they have on them, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) I can fix that.

First up get the dang things off the set of shock bolts I got with the setup. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Attached Image

Next up take the bolt over to the metal lathe and make more chips, and curly Qs, oh this is so much fun.

Attached Image

I centered it, then drilled it out to 5/16" to then tap it to 3/8-16 so I could install a bolt into the bolt.

Next up more chips flying and I had to make the spacers to get the drop links to align with the trailing arm and the swaybar arms. And this is what I came up with.

Attached Image

They are tapered at the end to allow the rod end room to pivot.

And all done.

Attached Image

Need to clean up, and get them anodized and plated. These little projects took longer than I wanted today, but I had a lot of fun, got some machine time in, got some welding and fabrication time. I can't complain.

The carving is amazing!
+Quote Post
914forme
post Dec 3 2020, 12:30 PM
Post #129

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) GrandPa was a talented man. Master Electrician, Plumber, and Carpenter.

I never got that good at carving, have lots of scares to prove my attempts.
+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 5 6 7
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 04:25 PM