Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oldest 914 restoration know to man, 9140430801 is finally getting some love
914forme
post Feb 21 2017, 09:00 PM
Post #21

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

Well I continued on with my work over the weekend.

Installed a set of Spoke LEDs, and Cibie Z beams.

Attached Image

I then did the same on the rear, had to replace one of the Hella Rear lenses, thanks to Kelly white1975 I had a very nice unit to replace it with. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

I then started working on the front suspension and have found out what happens to a car that sits around for 40 years. Everything rusts up, and all the fluids turn to a pungent nasty smelling fluid that makes gear oil smell good.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

There where two trunk board in the front trunk (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) which made a perfect place to build a mouse condo.

Attached Image

And then I found out why the brakes might not have worked as intended.

Attached Image

Somebody must have pretty strong leg to pull that off.

Looks like Eric is going to get a bunch of brake parts for his crew to rebuild.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Gcthielen
post Feb 27 2017, 09:18 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 16,251
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Stephen,
Great story! I too am in Dayton and just finished mechanical restoration of a long dormant -6. Please let me know if there is anything I can help you with. I am more of a vintage BMW guy (in fact, the Lowe's used to instruct for us at the BMW D/Es at mid ohio in the late 80's) but I have learned a lot going through the six.
GeorgeAttached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 28 2017, 07:29 AM
Post #23

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Gcthielen - Is that a '71 Six in gold metallic? If so, if I can ask, what are the last 4 of the VIN?
Cheers, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Michael
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 28 2017, 08:22 AM
Post #24

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I know you already have the parts but if you want to keep the passenger seat original, tangerine has a bolt in kit.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 28 2017, 08:57 AM
Post #25

George Cool project, we will have to get together at some point. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) The Lowe's where very active in anything that had to do with driving at Mid Ohio. They loved their track time.

Thank you Mark, I ws getting ready to order Chris's parts and drop these up for sale.

I do that a lot (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Gcthielen
post Feb 28 2017, 09:26 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 16,251

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 28 2017, 08:29 AM) *

Gcthielen - Is that a '71 Six in gold metallic? If so, if I can ask, what are the last 4 of the VIN?
Cheers, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Michael

Yes sir! Just a bit before yours...0347!
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 28 2017, 07:06 PM
Post #27

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Wow! Great car! Great Story! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

And a second Great Car added to your thread! Gold is Cool and rare (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 3 2017, 08:57 PM
Post #28

Thank you Rick it is greatly appreciated
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 5 2017, 07:51 PM
Post #29

So to get you caught up with my progress.

First up, rebuilt the steering rack, all cleaned up repacked, installed new turbo tie rods. All ready to go back into the car.

Attached Image

It was warm enough that I got some painting done to finish up the trans detailing Scott did.

Attached Image

Cleaned up the intermediate plate that I got form Carr914 - (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) This has the boss I need for the stock throttle linkage, to add to Scott's side shifter.

Next up will be installing new bearings and swapping it into the side shifter. Waiting on the LSD I picked up from sixaddict. I was going to put a ZF into the side shifter, but when a Guard TB came up, I had to jump on it.

Attached Image

Got all the front suspension off, and all the brake stuff off. All 4 calipers I got the bleeders out with out breaking them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) That just saved me a charge from Eric for EDM series, @ $80 a pop, it adds up.

I also packed up the struts to send to Chris, for a minor spindle raise.

Got the bushings off the A-arms, my 20 ton press, and a bearing race puller made short work of this.

I then test cited the Rebel Racing front bushings.

Attached Image

The fit fine, now the question comes down to this sleeve. Are you supposed to JB Weld it to the arm, or Locktite? It is fairly tight, but turns freely.

Attached Image

I now have to get these cleaned up, and painted or powder coated, still trying to decide that one. Mind says powder coat, pocket book says paint.

Oh and I got these in on Friday.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Never had a set with center caps, not sure if I like them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Mar 5 2017, 08:55 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482

I heard that paint my be preferable for the suspension arms as they can then be touched up. The powdercoating does get chipped I've been told. Either way, nice project and I love the Minilites.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 5 2017, 09:27 PM
Post #31

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

Shop around on the powdercoating. Shops can really vary with pricing. Powdercoating can save so much time vs diy and when it's done right, it's super hard to scratch or chip.

I got all these parts including the 914-6 oil tank done for $275.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 24 2017, 08:28 PM
Post #32

Yes, I am thinking I will go with paint for now. I replaced my HF Sandblaster with a Barrel Blaster, great unit, and it is big enough for the suspension cross bar, A-arms.

I put an outdoor LED Flood light in the blaster, it works great (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Fixed up my parts washer while I was at it. Added a little giant parts washer pump, a remote oil filter, and a Wix filter. A little 10 gallons of new parts washer fluid from Tractor Supply and I am in business. Upgraded my washer with a new parts washer brush with flow through fluid. Cleans very nice.

Now back to the -6

So far everything has been rust fuzed together. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) The rear disks where no exception. So I had to get out the big guns.

Attached Image

And after a lot of work, several coats of PB Blaster, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) and the above puller, and finally I started a new universe with a big BANG!

Attached Image

Glad I had a couple lug nuts on it, or else it would shot across the shop.

Working on getting the ball joints off the A-Arms right now, looks like I will be cutting them off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Heat, PB, and a 3/4" impact wrench has not budged them. Was looking for some ATF, but found that I have none in the shop (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Otherwise I would have mixed it with some acetone, and covered the ball joint nut. Worse case I will mount them in the mill and cut the flange and get new parts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jun 6 2017, 08:20 PM
Post #33

Not a lot of updates lately.

We have been a bit busy at work, and then I have been moving cars. VW bought back my TDI, I miss that car. Drove my truck for a bit, but it gets really old. So we went out looking for a Diesel SUV. Looking at Jeep Grand Cherokees from 2007-08. Why because they have a Merc diesel in them. The Merc will go for ever if taken care of.

And I found wahat I was looking for, started the negotiations, and thought I had it, called the dealer back, and he sold it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) But said since you want the Merc engine why not buy a Merc. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) The Mere had less miles, more features, and cost 2K less. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) We purchased the Merc.

Attached Image

So while I was doing PM on the Merc, waiting for 10 Quarts of oil to be sucked out the top side, I did some work on the -6.

I am changing the trans out for a side shifter, TB LSD, 904 mainsheet, custom gearing, and Tangerine Racing shifter parts, and a Rennshifter. The one issue with the Rennshifter in the 914-6 is it does not have provision for a hand throttle. I thought about using one of Chris' hand throttles but in the end I have a mill so lets make some chips.

First Off I marked it all out with layout dye. Make it so easy to see with my old eyes.

Attached Image

And almost all done, don't have more time tonight to work on it.

Attached Image

Baby steps makes progress.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 21 2017, 07:43 PM
Post #34

Well I have been called out as a slacker thread so here you go the update of what I got done on the -6

Attached Image

Painted just as dad would have done it. Spindles raised just as I like to do it.

Thats it, been working on a ton of other stuff, just not 914 related.

I have picked up a very nice a few parts from the 914 world members. That is forward progress. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I will be selling off a bunch of stuff shortly got 9 days to make a deal happen for a part for this car, and I need to generate some funds.

So I'll be selling off some Mahle gas burners, some Mini-lites, a Guard TB LSD, and a bunch of small parts, so I can fund something else for this car. If it does not happen it was not meant to be, but if it does, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Dion
post Jul 22 2017, 09:22 AM
Post #35

RN

Member No.: 2,766

Nice progress Stephen. Looking good.
I like that shifter base. I need to place a slot in my JWest
plate as well for the hand throttle.
Staying tuned...
Cheers
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 24 2017, 08:24 PM
Post #36

Well in the quest to get this done, I am working on incremental progress. In other word, if I have a few minutes, I'll do a little work.

So on todays agenda, I got these off Ebay, and really don't like shinny plastic, so out comes the textured paint.

Attached Image

Both done with the base coat.

Attached Image

I used this

Attached Image

Now weather I should clear it

Attached Image

The cleared section is on the right of the horn button.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 5 2017, 06:55 PM
Post #37

A bit of progress today as I finally got the front brake lines to bust loose. I bit of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) and lots of ATF mixed with Acetone, finally got them off both sides of the front.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

That means I can start working on the front swaybar install now.

Attached Image

I have also decided that a none running 914-6 is a not fun 914-6. So I got a few parts in today, and will be picking up something to help move this along from Mark this week.

Attached Image

This might help you identify what I am about to do.

Attached Image

And these should help you a lot. Cats is out of the bag (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Attached Image

Manifold and other parts to bust on a set of Triple Speeds to a 911 engine. EFI and modern spark in a 914-6. I really hate carbs and was going to stick with them, but now the stock carbs, will stick with the original engine and trans.

No reason to screw up original parts when you can add a bit more go while in the end spending less or the same dough (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

That is it for the updates, hopefully I will get to getting the front swaybar installed and some other bits done tomorrow in-between painting another project.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Aug 5 2017, 07:46 PM
Post #38

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892

QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 5 2017, 04:55 PM) *

A bit of progress today as I finally got the front brake lines to bust loose. I bit of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) and lots of ATF mixed with Acetone, finally got them off both sides of the front.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

That means I can start working on the front swaybar install now.

Attached Image

I have also decided that a none running 914-6 is a not fun 914-6. So I got a few parts in today, and will be picking up something to help move this along from Mark this week.

Attached Image

This might help you identify what I am about to do.

Attached Image

And these should help you a lot. Cats is out of the bag (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Attached Image

Manifold and other parts to bust on a set of Triple Speeds to a 911 engine. EFI and modern spark in a 914-6. I really hate carbs and was going to stick with them, but now the stock carbs, will stick with the original engine and trans.

No reason to screw up original parts when you can add a bit more go while in the end spending less or the same dough (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

That is it for the updates, hopefully I will get to getting the front swaybar installed and some other bits done tomorrow in-between painting another project.

Very interesting.. I am considering something like this.. I want to use a stock airfilter assembly and would go with fuel injection in trade of my webers if I could..

+Quote Post
jd74914
post Aug 5 2017, 08:27 PM
Post #39

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

That looks like a nice piece of kit! My dad and I keep looking at if for his 911. Very jealous! Are you planning on using the AEM Infinity ecu a bunch of people on pelican have used with that setup?
+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 6 2017, 06:23 AM
Post #40

Ben,

My stock Air filter as the I got a bit of fuel spray and got a bit to hot syndrome. So I picked up a metal housing off a 911, will have to do a bit of work on it to clean it up, I would love to use it thou, as it keeps a nice sleeper look.

If not I will go with filters and run 906ish Rain Shields , with a bit of a twist, I would like to have cones on the bottom side over the velocity stacks to divert the air pulses instead of blasting it back down the intake. I would have to have a huge runner to make intake pulse running work at the desired RPM. As this will be mainly a street car, I will say the RPMs will be limited except when I need to hear the Revs. Most likely every time I leave in 1st. Im getting older and lets face it, reaction times slow down.

Jim,

As far as fuel injection controller, it will be SDS, as I have one here sitting in the bin ready to go onto something. It might as well be this six. Which means the EG33 swap car will go with MS3 Pro. I will be able to rev it up on the start line, engine pumping and thumping in time. And use that launch control like the EVO and WRX guys do. Oh and any time I can work part of a Cake lyric into a post (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:05 PM