Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oldest 914 restoration know to man, 9140430801 is finally getting some love
914forme
post Dec 2 2017, 08:20 AM
Post #61

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Amenson @ Dec 1 2017, 11:04 PM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Dec 1 2017, 09:05 PM) *

Welded up

Did you actually use your Tig welder for part of the right bolt or is it just a really clean MIG weld?

Well what you see there is the difference between rusty to fluid. Both MIG'd.

TIG should be operational this week. Then lots of practice, lots and lots of practice.

Some of the TIG stuff I lined up, need to make some tooling to do them is some 901 transmission rebuilding tools. I have a clutch spline I started to make into a tool. Would like to TIG these up.

Attached Image

And a Long socket that has been cut and prepped , and never welded. Just waiting on me to get the nerve to grab the TIG and do it. Maybe I'll do that today. Force me to finish the TIG setup. If I wanted to get it done, I would just grab the MIG and do it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Dec 2 2017, 09:09 AM
Post #62

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(914forme @ Dec 2 2017, 09:20 AM) *

And a Long socket that has been cut and prepped , and never welded. Just waiting on me to get the nerve to grab the TIG and do it. Maybe I'll do that today. Force me to finish the TIG setup. If I wanted to get it done, I would just grab the MIG and do it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

If you want to make it a litle less threatening, you could use the Sherline to turn an aluminum or brass insert to keep its shape while welding. Then it's relatively insensitive to heat. Not to make more work for you or anything. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 16 2018, 07:48 PM
Post #63

Well a bit of update.

TIG up an running, long long long road ahead on learning the skills. Currently my welds look good 2% of the time and the other 98% they look like (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

I also found some parts I tucked away in the shop, and got to work.

I had a couple scratches in the seal and bearing spacers on the struts. So new ones go on. Dang they are a tad expensive. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Drove the old off, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Attached Image

And new ones back on with new o-rings also.

Attached Image

And then I ran into an odd one. One Bilstein insert fitted perfectly in one strut. the other did not fit. two threads engaged and we are tight. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

So measure, everything is the same, again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Swapped inserts, and the one that did not fit now fits in strut A with inset B. Insert A gets two threads down into Strut B and stops (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached Image

Like everything with this car one step forward 2 back. And I can not find my spanner for the insert top nut.

Oh and I also have an issue with the new ball joints locking into the arm. The ball joint key is narrower than the key that is welded onto the arm. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) I did find all my new ball joint hardware.

+Quote Post
tomeric914
post Jan 18 2018, 10:30 AM
Post #64

One Lap of America in a 914!

Member No.: 9,101
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 16 2018, 08:48 PM) *

Like everything with this car one step forward 2 back. And I can not find my spanner for the insert top nut.

Meh, just use a pipe wrench...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 18 2018, 10:44 AM
Post #65

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

And I thought I was the only one that had days like that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
fishgeckos
post Jan 18 2018, 10:59 AM
Post #66

fishgeckos

Member No.: 21,680
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 23 2017, 08:58 PM) *

Well I am pretty darn excited to start this project. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) It has been a long time coming.

Oldest 914-6 Restoration know to man has just gotten kicked into high gear.

The back story:

My father had owned several sports car and sporty cars in his life. His then current pride and joy was a Lotus Elan. That car gave me my first addiction into speed and driving fun. It was 1970s and I can remember sitting in the passenger seat, going down a road, top down. Wind was blowing through my blond curly locks. Yes I did have hair (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) And all I could see was the wood dashboard in front of me, and if I looked out the side, I could see the tops of the phone poles. If I looked to my left I could see my father grinning from ear to ear, like a cheesier cat. The other items I remember from my Lotus days was my father constantly under the hood. And the fact it was so low, that we would drive under the parking lot gates.

So it was a sad day when the lotus was sold. He did it just the same as I would have if in his shoes. He sold it to get the money to build his house. Dad by trade was an architect, I suppose he still is, he is just not practicing any more. So he built a very nice modern house for the three of use, and we moved. Boring cars filled the driveway at this point. A Ford Pinto, yes the blowy up kind. And an Audi 100, that was beige. That car was purchased wrecked. My father fixed it all up, and well we found out why it was wrecked. Every time it rained that car got hit. You would be sitting at a light and bam, rear ended. Driving down the road and get T-boned. It was crazy. Mom and Dad sold that car for all things a Triumph Stag. Really a lovely car after my father rewired the entire thing to exercise the Lucus Damons.

One day leaving his office he looked over at the repo lot next door. There sitting rather sadly at the back of the lot was a bright orange Porsche. Dad’s co worker and fellow car rebel rouser convinced him to go over and take a look. He knew it was a 914, he did not know until he got to the back of it what it really was. Sitting on two flat tires, with steel wheels and ugly hubcaps was a 914-6. Not sure how, but he got the money together and bought the -6. I can remember riding it just once. Not far from home we heard a odd sound coming from behind us, Dad shut off the engine, tossed it into neutral and we coasted home. Lucky it was a down hill run. Pushed it into the garage, and all hell cut loose.

Diagnosis from all his SCCA buds was more than likely a bad chain tensioner. Need to drop the engine and see what was up. Dad being Dad decided that was the perfect time to take it down to a almost bare chassis and start restoring the car. This was 1976 the car is only 6 years young. I spent many a day and night out in the garage with dad. He would be working on the -6 I would be playing like I was driving it.

Years past as I got older, I got into racing, my father supported me. First up was the gravity drags otherwise know as soap box derby. I ran these for three years until I got bored with it. Then cam motorcycles and motocross. We then switched to auto-x and that stuck with me for the rest of my life.

We also worked on a bunch of cars in that time frame. The first one we did together was when I was 14. It was a 1965 Jeep CJ5 he traded for some work we did on a guys basement. We got that finished and well Jeeps are not my thing. So we got Karmann Ghia, built it into a sleeper with bunch of parts we had from a 914-4 parts car. Redid the engine with a type-4 used a 911 5-speed, and all the suspension was redone. Going down one of the roads in the area, I keep hearing this loud roar of a V8 coming up onto me, we would hit the curves and it would fad away, and finally got out of the twisties, and heard it again. It was a guy in a vet, who I must have been really pissed off, as he could not keep up with my little VW in the corners. When I went to college dad drove the car to keep it “limber”. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) His six sat on the side line.

I graduated, got a job with Nancy Lowe, which also meant they found out I was into 914s and well I got to know Jon also. My daughter was born, and a month latter we found my 914-4.

Dad helped us build our house, and work on various cars, and vans, keep our budget down a bit as a young family. A few years ago, I got a Miata for my wife, for our 25th anniversary. We where married in 1989. The car built in November of 1989. She wanted one back in 1990, it is like I made the dream come true, only 25 years latter. I restored that car, and took my dad for a ride, he was hooked. And Mom was hooked too, so they found a 1994 M edition they liked. We picked it up, and I restored that car for them.

Years have passed and I have become blessed enough to have a career that I can afford to give a little back to my parents.

The Plan:

Originally it was going to be how I remembered the car. It did not have the sail vinyl or the warts on the front fender. He also had a top painted to match. I would like to build it the way he had envisioned it. As of today that plan might have changed. Some where along the way, he put the warts back on, and added the sail trim and vinyl and added a stock top.

I still plan on adding the following items.

I have a bunch of vintage speed parts I have been collecting over the years and picked up a few just recently. Thank you Scott, and Kerry your parts will be going to good use. And thank all you people who sold me stuff at the swaps like it was worth nothing in the 80s and 90s.

Engine: rebuild, add pressure feed tensioners, and turbo valve covers. Other items we will see what is wrong with the engine, it has been sitting a very long time.

Transmission: Add a LSD, convert the car to a side shifter, using Tangerine Racing parts, and JWest shifter.

Suspension: Add bushings, Bilstein Shocks, H&H Swaybar up front, maybe a stock rear swaybar. I have a set of mono ball front strut supports, and rear adjustable spring perches. Will also add turbo tie rods and a rack spacer to help with bump steer.

Brakes: will be stock, if not functioning PMB will get a call, and parts shipped out to them for rebuilding. I will also add bronze bushings to the pedal cluster.

Wheels and tires: I have a set of stock Mahles, hate to drive on them. I currently have a set of fake Mahles on it. Still looking for a set of Minilites in 6.5x15”. I should have never sold them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) I purchased my first set of Jon and Nancy Lowe. They used them on Nancy’s yellow 914-6 for autocross.

Fuel: Tangerine will come to the rescue again with a set of Chris’ fuel lines.

Electrical: JWest fuse box will be added, along with Spoke LEDs. A set of Period correct Cibie Z beams will be added, and a set of Cibie fogs will be added also. Audio wise I will add a small bluetooth amp, and leave the stock radio in place, just disconnected from the speakers.

Interior: Stock, but I will add a set of seat heaters to keep cold at bay. If passenger seat is not comfy for the wife, we will convert it over to a late style seat and back pad. At that point maybe change to a set of aftermarket seats. I would love a set of GTS LeMans (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

Exterior: I guessing it will be stock now. Though I am torn I liked the clean lines with out the sail panels vinyl, and warts, with the painted top. That is how Dad originally wanted it.

If the engine is not up to snuff, I will go with a small bump using Nickies, and a bump in compression. And some different cams, and a set of larger heat exchangers. Though I am really hoping to keep the costs down and live with the stock stuff it is in good working order.

Almost everything I will be doing is completely reversible, except a few exceptions and even they can be fixed if people want to drive a 914-6 with out sway bars. I would gladly do it if some one offered me stupid money for the car. As of right now it is more about the memories and giving back to my father.

So now I just need to get cracking: Wanting this done before April, would love to take Dad for a drive this spring. So what that also means, my 914 which is part of the Build Off Challenge will be resting for a little while. I had already packed up most of the part in anticipation of starting this project.

This is the garage it was stored in for 40 years.

Saturday I brought it to my shop. Rented a U-haul trailer as all my trailers are up at the farm. Car has not seen the light of day in 40+ years.

Now the for the fun part! Determining what is left todo on the car, and come up with a game plan.

Very cool. I am doing a similar project with my Dad's old MGBGT
that has been in my family for 25+ years. From a value standpoint it's not worth restoring, but I have great memories of my Dad and that car that make the project exciting for me.
+Quote Post
NoEcm
post Jan 18 2018, 01:24 PM
Post #67

Member No.: 4,309

QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 23 2017, 08:58 PM) *

From a value standpoint it's not worth restoring, but I have great memories of my Dad and that car that make the project exciting for me.

Sometimes (or oftentimes) memories are worth more than money.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 24 2018, 05:54 PM
Post #68

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Jan 18 2018, 12:30 PM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 16 2018, 08:48 PM) *

Meh, just use a pipe wrench...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

LOL, not a pipe wrench but I did use a set of huge slip-joint pliers and a rag and so mild invention of new word combinations I got them on. I think there was something in the threads. So I chased the threads. I spun them on a couple of times and then brought out the big gun. To get both of them on good and tight.

Attached Image

Both seated the same amount.

Attached Image

And then it was quick work to assemble everything else.

Attached Image

I only switch the chamber plates 3 times (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) First time I did it right though I did it wrong (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

The second time I thought I did it right only to assemble them wrong (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

The third time I did it just like the first time only to know I am correct this time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Mar 24 2018, 06:14 PM
Post #69

That's opposite lock!!

Member No.: 4,154

Progress makes perfect. Keep it up!
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Mar 24 2018, 06:33 PM
Post #70

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

Yea! He's back! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)

We missed you...
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 26 2018, 07:11 PM
Post #71

Thank you both, feels good to get some stuff done on a none priority vehicle.

Tonight in this episode of parts that don't fit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

You'll see a manufacturer that says they have ISO 9001 rating. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

You'll see a man void all waranties (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

And I invent some new words (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)

I could never get the ball joints in the arm to seat properly. Or at least to my likely. So out came the calipers.

Attached Image

So the opening of the ball joint needed to be opened up just a tad.

A diamond wheel and a bit of grinding latter with the Dremel and Ta Da!

Attached Image

Much Better (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Attached Image

Little ceramic anti-seize and more brand new parts. And this side is together.

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

The retainer clip that keeps the ball joint nut from backing off, does not fir the tabs on the ball joint. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached Image

So which part to modify this time. The retainer or the ball joint. I'm pissed at the ball joint manufacturer so why not. And the both of the retainers fit the other ball joint. Crappy quality control. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)

Took the big slip joint pliers and modified the retainer tabs. And one side all done.

Attached Image

Well, the other side I had to modify the tab area of the ball joint by the same amount. And rest of the assembly went much smoother. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Attached Image

Called it a night.
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Mar 26 2018, 08:04 PM
Post #72

That's opposite lock!!

Is it going to be together in time to caravan down to Okteenerfest?
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 26 2018, 08:51 PM
Post #73

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Good to see you've the time to work on your projects again Stephen. Maybe production outside of China will become a reality with the new tariffs imposed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 27 2018, 08:28 AM
Post #74

QUOTE(Amenson @ Mar 26 2018, 10:04 PM) *

Yes, that is the plan. I want to get it up and running trailer it down to Okteenerfest, and enjoy the drive with my father. That is the reason I plan on towing down. Might have an empty trailer on the way back though if I take some side trips. The plan is to take Mom and Dad down to enjoy the drive, the scenery, and well the 914-6. And then all the great people and 914s that make Okteenerfest so enjoyable.

Kent, I just want parts that fit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) I can get bogged down in the details if I let my inner German engineer take over. Hell, that guy almost cost me two fingers! Sometimes I just have to tell that guy NO, it will be fine, it is good enough, and let's get this done.

I won't even tell you how much time I spent looking at these ball joints just to put them back into the box for another day. Check and re-check part numbers to make sure I have the correct parts. You can only stare at the PET for so long before you go (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) I had even considered cannibalizing the EG build just to get this car done. I knew its ball joints fit, lol.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 27 2018, 10:20 AM
Post #75

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I see the guys get out the grinder all the time to make the parts fit. Many different years of parts and many repro parts often create issues. The worst is trying to make parts fit on a freshly painted chassis. I'm a strong believer of pre assembly on a primered shell but due to the labor cost, that never gets done at the shop. But then there's always time to fix the issues (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Dion
post Mar 27 2018, 11:36 AM
Post #76

RN

Member No.: 2,766

Nice to see ya back Stephen. My lofty goal as well to head to Octeenerfest.
Incredible the fuss you had with the ball joints! My front struts are
Together but I haven’t indexed the ball joints yet. See if they fit properly.
Keep at it. Looking good
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 27 2018, 02:15 PM
Post #77

Mark, only people with deep pockets get to build a car the 100% correct way. If I was a betting man, I would guess even Singer has a few items that get installed after the paint has flown, and all the pre-fitting is done. I am trying this approach on the EG build, but am thinking when I get back on that one it's going to be a raw build. Not sure I can take making it too pretty without being able to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Luckily this car will have a bit of touchup to be done. And everything that I have for this car is a "bolt on" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) So far I have not let my welders touch the chassis. For me, that is like being a crack addict with a pipe, a bag, and a lighter, and not hitting that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)

I keep looking at the swaybar re-enforcements thinking they really need to be (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Thank you, Dion, hope to see you at Okteenerfest (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 27 2018, 02:18 PM
Post #78

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(Dion @ Mar 27 2018, 01:36 PM) *

Nice to see ya back Stephen. My lofty goal as well to head to Octeenerfest.
Incredible the fuss you had with the ball joints! My front struts are
Together but I haven’t indexed the ball joints yet. See if they fit properly.
Keep at it. Looking good

At least you will have some big brakes to stop that beast.
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Mar 27 2018, 06:41 PM
Post #79

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(914forme @ Mar 27 2018, 09:28 AM) *

QUOTE(Amenson @ Mar 26 2018, 10:04 PM) *

Yes, that is the plan. I want to get it up and running trailer it down to Okteenerfest, and enjoy the drive with my father. That is the reason I plan on towing down. Might have an empty trailer on the way back though if I take some side trips. The plan is to take Mom and Dad down to enjoy the drive, the scenery, and well the 914-6. And then all the great people and 914s that make Okteenerfest so enjoyable.

Empty trailer on the way back....does that mean that I can turn up the boost and show everyone what the insides of a Suby 5mt look like scattered throughout the countryside and still get PorSTI back to OH!?
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 28 2018, 07:09 AM
Post #80

Scott that is always a choice, let's see if we make the goal. Hitting the mark will be the first thing to see if turning up the wick on that time bomb is an option. Afterall you should have enough meat under the rear now that shooting gears all over the countryside is now an option. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

One item I see getting in the way of not having a driver is the engine. I have two of them both in unknown condition. Both might require machine work, and that machine work might be fast, might be slow.

I really need to get the engines on a stand and see where they stand. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

But first, this chassis needs to become a roller again.
+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 04:37 PM