Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Welcome
seanery
post Apr 30 2005, 06:56 PM
Post #1

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

Thanks for coming.

It looks as though Craig and the PACNW folks are ready to roll. There are folks who will be willing to help you out. Don't hesitate to ask some for help. Jeroen and I are more than happy to help with Graphics, shirts, etc...

-sean
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Apr 30 2005, 10:51 PM
Post #2

Irrelevant old fart

Group: Members
Member No.: 45

Jest proud to be here...proud, I tell ya.
+Quote Post
morph
post May 1 2005, 12:00 AM
Post #3

quality parts builder

Member No.: 1,389
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

i threw my hat bieng a local.(volinteer)
my phone is 503-551-6191 lets put portland on the 914 map!
james
+Quote Post
ablose58
post May 1 2005, 12:48 AM
Post #4

rust never sleeps

Member No.: 1,422

I am in to help wherever I can (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post May 1 2005, 07:49 AM
Post #5

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap.gif) Looks like we're on our way folks. I was hoping this would happen. Ahhhhhhh... July and tops off 914's (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)

I'm smilin' Man, (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif) I'm smilin! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

.........b
+Quote Post
boxstr
post May 1 2005, 10:10 AM
Post #6

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12

Good morning everyone. Well I guess this is the start of the long road to WCC 2006. I feel that the Portland Historics will help to give everyone who attends an outlet for there need to be around cars and also be able to run there car in an Autocross, and hopefully the PIR track on Monday if we can get enough paying support.

I am would like to see a gathering of as many 914s as we can get into the car corral at the July 9-10-11 2005 Portland Historics. Go to
http://www.portlandhistorics.com for more info. If any one from out of town wants to come down and needs to arrange for tickets let me know. The local Porsche club has a very good three day package for $40.00.

A large number of people from Seattle area have spoken up to help out. Thanks. It will be a long distance but I know we can use your help and support. Thanks.

I know there are more Oregon people that we havent heard from yet. Spread the word, if you know someone who owns a 914 and you think they would like tot help, have them email me and we can get them onboard.

One thing I want to do this year is have a raffle for a 914 running driving car. CAMP 914 has a car that can be used, parts and goodies from vendors, 914 owners, will be used and will be recognized as a supporter of the raffle car.
If anyone has experience with a raffle please speak up.
Thats all for this morning. CCL
+Quote Post
drgchapman
post May 1 2005, 04:50 PM
Post #7

Current Stable

Group: NoClassifiedAccess
Member No.: 2,789

The Chapman's are players. Here are some of our thoughts:

I made a tentative reservation at the Mcmenamin's Edgefield yesterday for the WCC -06 dates........they are almost full!!!!!!
WE need to get a hotel lined out ASAP. Something big going on in addition to the historic races?
We need to try Double Tree, Monarch, or Greenwood Inn in Beaverton, any other ideas? There are also some RV parks to look at, one in Wilsonville......

Catering is pretty easy, just need to know what flavor vittles to get. My favorite for this type of thing is Texas BBQ. There are several vendors to contact. Other food ideas?

Generally when a block of rooms is reserved, a meeting room is included. This should be a consideration. Monarch has a "small room" we used for Rainbonnet last year.

Race track for Monday should be a prime goal as well.

Rally up the mountain....Timberline, Meadows, Hood river loop is cool, stop at Edgefield on the way back.....to bad no rooms.

Rally to the beach, via Tillamook, Seaside then back

Rally to the Willamette wine country.....might be a beer only crowd, wine and cheesers may need to lay low?

Need a gathering place to swap lies, drink, admire the cars at least one evening, remember long daylight days.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post May 1 2005, 05:41 PM
Post #8

Gary I was hoping that Jim would take a look at the lodging available at Jantzen beach. He has not chimed in, so I am not sure if he wants to get involved??
The reason I pick Jantzen beach is proxsimity to PIR, and the hotels are big enough we could have a room set aside for dining or just a meet and greet.
There is also Kennedy school. Been there once. They have lodging.
BBQ could be Uncle Wally in Wilsonville or Busters. They will cater events.
One thing that went over well was a low key swap meet. That should be included.
CCL
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post May 1 2005, 06:26 PM
Post #9

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64

Ah, to be young and full of exuberance again, but I think you guys are way ahead of yourselves. I raise the following issues/questions, in no particular order, which need to be answered before anybody reserves rooms (if it requires a contract and/or $ up front). I spent much of my adult life organizing group events and have watched my wife organize 2 national conferences so have some experience. It is a hell of a lot of work with a devil's load of details and little thanks but lots of pissing and moaning from every direction.

1. You need firm dates. To have firm dates you need a calendar of planned events.

2. As I see it all you have is the Historic Races. Which, by the way, I do not think is a good idea. It is a 3 day event. If people have tickets some will go once, some twice and some all the time. The focus of participants should be club members and 914's. Real hard to plan group activities and group meals while guessing at attendance. We can only hope at this point that the AX can be done or is worth doing. Adding 40 cars to what was happening there last year will be a disaster, unless you like to wait in a long line for a 20 second run. Also, the races preclude all the fine touring Gary mentioned, never mind golf and swap meet which Craig has mentioned. Ten people at the races, 10 on the golf course, 20 driving to the coast and 10 in the bar do not make for a successful event.

3. As I said in one of the other threads, a WCC in Portland should be scenic touring/driving, eating, socializing. People can AX and go to the races in their home area all summer long.

4. I think 3 nights is all you can expect of people staying in motels.
If WCC 05 is a pattern, they stay in Portland Fri, Sat, Sun nights and leave on Monday. Those from WA may well show up Sat. am and leave Sun. pm. Portlanders will stay at home. The Californians and others from afar will be here longer but they will be a smaller group than in 04 and 05 when the WCC was local to them.

5. I do not think we have a chance in hell of getting the track on Monday. First, they may well be picking up the pieces from Sunday.
Even so, I do not think insurance comes with track rental. I believe you need to be an organization with insurance to indemnify the city in order to rent the track. We are not an organization. JP will soon know the answer to this I think.

6. I can certainly call the Red Lion Jantzen Beach (hotel on west of freeway is now closed pending decision to turn into condos) and ask about procedures and general availability that weekend. However, right now I don't think anyone can tell me the exact nights we want to reserve nor do I have a guess at how many rooms.

As I used to tell my union leaders, plan the work then work the plan. Right now I see lots of ideas but no plan.

Now, aren't you glad I chimed in!

+Quote Post
J P Stein
post May 1 2005, 07:20 PM
Post #10

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

What Jim says makes a lot of sense....kinda odd for a 914 guy (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

What I do know about the track.
They do rent it out to individuals. I'll email Don Clinkbeard (DE chair)for the insurance info.

I agree again about all the activities. Keep them few.
The big area at the west end of the pro pits was...near as I could see, unused last year.... Camp ground/meetig place?
The track has lotso racers camping out during multi-day events....that may require a special pass. This *could* become the center of activities.....the boozers can find a hotel (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Attendence: Who knows? At least 50, but maybe 3 times that.
We won't have a clue till we ask and won't *know* till the money comes in. BTW, boss. You'll prolly have to open a special bank account.

We may have to take over the Historics AX...maybe even this year. (I'm hoping this is not the case and "they" have their shit together.) This is gonna require volunteers working the course for 2 days...Sat & Sun...at least 20 people 4hrs each, each day, 2hr roatations. ....a stinker.

I gotta go work on my car.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post May 1 2005, 08:48 PM
Post #11

Jim who?? I am glad that you chimed in . It is a long way before the WCC 2006, so we have alot of time to toss around ideas and then see who salutes. I personally like the Historics as an event to give the attendees a place to gather and meet and see other cars.
I also feel that if the hotel is close to the track it will make it easier for people to come and go and they won't feel trapped by having to make a long drive to there room.
Dates are July 7,8 and 9 2006.
People who come to these events "want" to race there car in some form or another. If you read the thread for PDX in 2006 this is the point I see coming from at least half of the people who want to attend.
I think we have to see what JP finds out about the track on Monday before we trash that idea.
If we do have numerous events , golf,tour to wine country. the gorge etc. Then what we should look at is a dinner each evening and a set time for people to attend. The historic events are over at @ 4pm each day.Whether it be at the hotel or another location, such as a BBQ or whatever. That way everyone can go do there thing and then comeback with everyone else and share the days adventures with each other.
If this isn't an acceptable plan to everyone then lets explore another one. Speak up let me know what you think.
CCL
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post May 1 2005, 09:57 PM
Post #12

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I'm not from PW But I'm here to help with the Trophies for the "06" I handled them for "04" I posted a list from "04" If you want anything added let me know.

Ok, Here's the classes we had in "04"

- Best original /4 Size for this group of trophies
- Best original /6
- Best V8 conversion
- Best other conversion
-Best paint
-Best Interior

-Best Custom (more than 4 mods any non factory style body kits, mods to include interior mods)
-People's Choice Overall Best of WCC Any car in any class one can win this.

Overall Best of WCC. Will be the center piece with a taller base. This will be the premier trophy of the event.

The above are peoples choice. total 8 peoples choice awards. That shouldn't be too hard.

On the Long Distance awards ..... These will be plaques Size TBA

Long distance Overseas.
Long distance 914 (on a trailer)
Long distance driving a 914.

These will be presented by the planning committee.

These awards are nice recognition.

-EDIT: The above will be tallied and presented by the planning group. We will know location by pre-entry.

The "04" event had a tech quiz. We may want a 914 guru to handle this.

We had an Acrylic wall plaque's made for this catagory

4 for the planners to present. this should be do-able.

We may also want to do trophies for different classes in the Auto-X

If we end up having an AX This is what we did,

AX classes:

Stock: 1,2,3 First place sizes were 8" X 4" 2nd and third were 6" X 4" These were Sponsored By Raby's Aircooled Technology in "04"

Improved 1,2,3
Race 1,2,3
Most improved time (Plaque) Size TBA
Cone King (Plaque)

Someone with AX experience can chime in if other classes are needed,

9 trophies and 2 plaques for the AX planers to present. This should be ok.

Best Candid Photo of the event.

People can post their photos like after "04" and we could poll from a select set of pics for the popular choice winner. Then send the award by mail after the event. I'll make the photo trophy and we can have a contest on the BBS after the event. This will help promote interest in this event and next years event. This is a future promo to get peoples gears turning and thinking of this event and the next event at the same time. Good marketing.

Club will decide this one. it should be done as a plaque.

The total of 17 Trophies and 7 Plaques. But the actual peoples choice is only 8.

We will also need Sponor awards T.B.A. I'm purposing plaques for sponors.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
boxstr
post May 1 2005, 10:43 PM
Post #13

Rich Thanks very much, that is alot of information on trophies. We will definetly have to remeber them in 2006.
CCLINWCC2006
+Quote Post
boxstr
post May 1 2005, 10:51 PM
Post #14

Okay I think we need to get one thing out of the way first. That would be the hotel. If we can't get one for the dates we want July 7,8,9. Then we have to look at an alternative date.
Also here is a new plan.
Monarch Motor hotel near Clackamas town center. They have over 200 rooms.
Friday Meet and greet and dinner at Stark St pizza, they cater to car clubs.
Sat. Historic races, then dinner across the river at Beaches.
Sunday Tech session's at the hotel 9-12 noon, lunch at hotel or a box lunch then up the gorge after lunch,then a catered dinner BBQ or ??
Monday PIR track day, maybe.
CCL
+Quote Post
drgchapman
post May 2 2005, 08:27 AM
Post #15

Current Stable

This looks like a good planning group. We seem to gravitate together on these things. All good input. We need to whittle 'er down a little and set out an agenda that we can all execute. We are getting close..........

Hotel, Hotel, Hotel. After checking Edgefield, I'm concerned about housing. We need to jump on this ASAP. Craig has nailed down the dates, we need to jump......somehow. The historic racers may grab up the Jantzen Beach rooms. We need options. I like Monarch, Greenwood Inn. Don't forget Double Tree downtown...maybe not enough room for cars? Reserve a block of 50-60 rooms?

The track would be great, sounds like folks want to run with/against each other on the track. Understandable after a year of smack talking on the forum. I would love to see a track day, but I don't think it is a deal killer. We have so much touring that could be done.

Uncle Wally's here in Wilsonville is awesome. We've used them several times.

Sponsors. We will need to get on this, to offset reservation costs. Rounding them up is more difficult. Maybe take the charity route that Howard used this year? AA, HPH, PCA, Raby, Pelican, Hoosier. Not sure how willing local vendors would be to participate, except CAMP 914. Are you supplying car, Craig?

Raffling a car will increase attendance somewhat, not sure how much though.

+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 2 2005, 08:58 AM
Post #16

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

ok. i too agree on the vintage conflict. i will drive down for that alone. it usually falls 2 weeks after the sovren races at SIR over the 4th of july. with all the driving we did the past 2 years DURING the WCC, there's not much time for sitting in the grandstands.

the idea of a worthy charitable org will help with pulling in sponsors. special olympics, or which ever can be decided on. i spoke with jeanne about contacting some of the parrents of current and past students. rich griot of griot's garage, my neighbor works for a large constuction supply outfit who's owner and son are p-car guys. my attorney is on the board of the Parks Family Foundation, one of his cousins is moving up the ranks in the sovren group... my lovely wife is willing to help put the touch on some of these folks and others to get us in the door. would just staying with S.O. give us more credibility?

k
+Quote Post
boxstr
post May 2 2005, 09:21 AM
Post #17

I am going to have Korijo put the touch on some sponsors also. Maybe he would be able to give us the name of a charitable organization that he favors also. S.O. is a good one I won't rule it out completely.
Kevin tell your wife thank you very much for the effort she is going to to help the WCC move forward.

I would like someone to say I will take the lead on the hotels. Gary you seem to have already been in contact with a couple of them. Do you want that job? If yes let me know.

If any of you have a particular task that you want to tackle please speak up. I want everyone to feel they have a place in this and I need your input. So don't hold back.

Sponsors, if you can think of any one who we can use as a sponsor, they can contribute money or goodies to the raffle or silent auction, please let us know who they are. We will contact them when we are further along in the final phases.
CCL
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 2 2005, 09:41 AM
Post #18

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

howard mentioned that he expected some local press re the wcc and s.o. locally, atleast. credibility and a the ability to deliver go a long way roping the folks in. i bet s.o. would provide a letter of introduction if h. asked. not to be pushy, determining the charitable recipient should be paramount as we go forward. right at the top of the list with settling on a base location. if i'm going to send my wife out she needs to give people facts, not "all net proceeds will go to SOME charitable organization". you guys figure it out and we'll fire up the engines.

k
+Quote Post
boxstr
post May 2 2005, 10:39 AM
Post #19

Kevin, You have done polls before. Since the WCC 2005 is still fresh in the memories of most who attended. Would you put together a poll and ask who and how many are thinking of attending the WCC 2006 in Portland Oregon.
Any thing else you can think of to add to it is fine.

Also there are other planning ideas that we can glean from on the Protected Forum section for th e WCC 2004-5.
Password is wcclassic.
CCL
+Quote Post
drgchapman
post May 2 2005, 11:54 AM
Post #20

Current Stable

Here in PDX, Special Olympics already owns the July 4th Blues festival. They make a killing on that and are the envy of every other charitable organization in the area. Dornbeckers, a local darling charity, is a good one, probably get some news coverage as well if desired.

The hotel thing is big. I'll start taking that on. Is there a particular price point we are looking at? I liked Edgefield as it has a variety of choices and prices, but......they say they are almost full.

Jantzen beach Double Tree, Downtown Double Tree is close, Convention Center Double tree comes to mind, big rooms for meetings-car show. I'm stuck on Double Tree....any other ideas before I jump in?
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 06:50 PM