Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Put deposit down on my new garage...., Change of plan..building two!
billh1963
post Jan 27 2017, 04:37 PM
Post #1

Car Hoarder!

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

Been thinking about my needs and realize that I not only need a conditioned work and storage place but I also need long term dry storage.

One big building would be nice. However, a large portion of it would be storage. That would be expensive to heat and cool. For the same money (actually a little less) I'm going with two 1200 sq. ft. garages linked by a 30' pad (the one in the drawing is 20' to save space on the drawing). This pad would give me a place to wash cars and work outside on nice days.

The buildings will have 10' roll up doors on each end, one walk out door and two windows (around 6'-7' up for security) which are not shown in my rough drawing. The drawing is to scale with the cars being current 911 sized

I put the deposit down today and have a few days to make any last minute adjustments.

I had lots of good suggestions last time that I will be incorporating such as a loft (not shown on the drawings) . Based on previous feedback I need to spend more time thinking the layout of the bathroom (if I have one) and sink areas. The tool and storage rooms drawn are just for me to think about. Interior layout is something I will add later after the building are up.

So, is there a fatal flaw or anything I am overlooking in this design? As I mentioned, I have a few days to make changes before the design/build process kicks off. Slab will be poured in around 4 weeks and building go up in 6 to 8 weeks.

Attached File  Garage_1_27_17_with_two___buildings.pdf ( 105.85k ) Number of downloads: 359

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BK911
post Jan 27 2017, 05:05 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,674
Region Association: None

6 car garage with only one door?
Go with a single and double, or three singles.
Personally I would go with one large building and put up a partition wall to separate conditioned vrs non cond space.
And at least three doors on both ends!!!
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jan 27 2017, 05:32 PM
Post #3

Car Hoarder!

QUOTE(BK911 @ Jan 27 2017, 06:05 PM) *

6 car garage with only one door?
Go with a single and double, or three singles.
Personally I would go with one large building and put up a partition wall to separate conditioned vrs non cond space.
And at least three doors on both ends!!!

Each building has two doors....

I might add an additional rollup door on the left building
+Quote Post
enf2232
post Jan 27 2017, 05:39 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 17,621

Check local zoning regulations. Two out buildings or accessory buildings may not be allowed without a variance.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 27 2017, 06:04 PM
Post #5

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Personally I would do one building with an insulated wall with door and rollup down the center, heated one side unheated on the other. My buddy's shop is done this way.

Here I'd get taxed higher on two out buildings than a single bigger one.

How tall? You need 12' for a two post lift. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jan 27 2017, 06:24 PM
Post #6

Car Hoarder!

Zoning is not an issue. This is on my farm and no building permit is needed. I will need a permit for electrical work but not for building.

Both buildings are insulated.... roof and walls

+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 27 2017, 08:13 PM
Post #7

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Atleast do the plumbing rough in. Big concrete pours. Really cool plan.
+Quote Post
db9146
post Jan 27 2017, 08:26 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,315

Maybe remove the single door on the west side of the left building and install two doors on the north wall of that building to ease moving cars in and out - I realize that might mean three rows of two instead of two rows of three. Less jockying around to get a car out potentially.
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post Jan 27 2017, 08:37 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 897
Region Association: Southwest Region

I know it would add to the cost, but I would consider putting a roof over the pad between the 2 buildings as a port'e cache (sp?), with the possibility of enclosing it in the future.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 27 2017, 08:48 PM
Post #10

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Terrific!

I agree with roughing in the plumbing. Cap it off and you can use the room for other things until your ready to do a bath.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 27 2017, 08:54 PM
Post #11

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Jan 27 2017, 09:37 PM) *

I know it would add to the cost, but I would consider putting a roof over the pad between the 2 buildings as a port'e cache (sp?), with the possibility of enclosing it in the future.

That's where you sit with your beer and bbq and relax looking at your cars.
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Jan 27 2017, 09:16 PM
Post #12

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

The only problem I see is that we don't live closer and I am jealous that I don't have the space or $$ to do the same. Looks great! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 27 2017, 09:27 PM
Post #13

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

While you're pouring, concrete aprons sloped away at the outside end doors. Is this steel or pole construction?
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Jan 28 2017, 07:37 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

"Zoning is not an issue"......... I want to move there !
All my stuff in one place. Studio for the wife. Warmer weather. 30' x 40' or 50' .......
+Quote Post
JOEPROPER
post Jan 28 2017, 12:06 PM
Post #15

The answer is "no" unless you ask...

Member No.: 19,387
Region Association: North East States

Looks tight on the tool storage sides. Will need a few sets of "go jack" to move cars around. Other than that looks great.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jan 28 2017, 12:45 PM
Post #16

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

First off, you can't have too many garage doors.

That said, in my opinion, the only way your design works is if you add enough width to the buildings so that you can park cars perpendicular to the side walls. That way, your central aisle becomes functional as a thru passage and individual cars can be moved at will instead of the jockeying now required. You could even install a four post lift(s) to increase storage capacity, depending on your roof height. BTW, where is your lift going to live?

The arrangement I've described also makes it more convenient for displaying your cars as the storage area becomes a man cave. There are few things more fun than planning and executing a work and storage area for your cars. Good luck...enjoy! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jan 28 2017, 12:46 PM
Post #17

Car Hoarder!

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 27 2017, 10:27 PM) *

While you're pouring, concrete aprons sloped away at the outside end doors. Is this steel or pole construction?

Steel construction.

Yes, there will be aprons on both ends. Need a transition to drive into the garage...not sure how high the slab will sit.
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jan 28 2017, 12:57 PM
Post #18

Car Hoarder!

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jan 28 2017, 01:45 PM) *

That said, in my opinion, the only way your design works is if you add enough width to the buildings so that you can park cars perpendicular to the side walls. That way, your central aisle becomes functional as a thru passage and individual cars can be moved at will instead of the jockeying now required. You could even install a four post lift(s) to increase storage capacity, depending on your roof height. BTW, where is your lift going to live?

I've thought about two doors on the left building. That may allow better access. The cars are drawn about 20-25% bigger than they will be in real life to show a "worst case" scenario.

The two post lift will be in the center aisle on the end towards the connecting concrete pad. 4 post lifts are in the future plans. It may also make sense to move the doors to the outer walls

+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jan 28 2017, 01:58 PM
Post #19

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 28 2017, 10:57 AM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jan 28 2017, 01:45 PM) *

I've thought about two doors on the left building. That may allow better access. The cars are drawn about 20-25% bigger than they will be in real life to show a "worst case" scenario.

The two post lift will be in the center aisle on the end towards the connecting concrete pad. 4 post lifts are in the future plans. It may also make sense to move the doors to the outer walls

I'm going to be a 'buttinski' here so I won't be offended if you tell me to butt out. How many cars do you expect to be working on at any given time? Work-around space in the shop area is very important and you don't want to squeeze yourself as you move around the area. Floor space for things like engine, trannies, sheet metal must also be allowed for. Your current design makes moving things around like one of those slide puzzles where you have to shift tiles in order to get a certain tile from one side of the puzzle to the other. Open space is your friend.

If the two post lift is in the middle of the aisle near the door you'll create a logjam if there's a project on the lift and you want to move something else around to the other building. Trust me, it happens.

I've done a quick example showing a 35x40 (1400 sq ft) that could hold 6 cars with 10' rollups at both ends and easier circulation. I'm sure you can find space for benches and storage in this configuration. Note that the aisle is not straight-thru, but it's still wide enough to navigate safely with sufficient space allowed at the entrance and exit. Obviously, roof height and configuration are affected with the offset aisle, but those details can be worked out under the 'buttinski license".

Good luck.

Attached File  35x40_shop.pdf ( 215.02k ) Number of downloads: 136
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jan 28 2017, 02:43 PM
Post #20

Car Hoarder!

Not a bad idea. Shift the doors to the side allows "turn in" space. Two 4-post lifts would really change storage capacity (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 12:55 AM