Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Put deposit down on my new garage....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
billh1963
Been thinking about my needs and realize that I not only need a conditioned work and storage place but I also need long term dry storage.

One big building would be nice. However, a large portion of it would be storage. That would be expensive to heat and cool. For the same money (actually a little less) I'm going with two 1200 sq. ft. garages linked by a 30' pad (the one in the drawing is 20' to save space on the drawing). This pad would give me a place to wash cars and work outside on nice days.

The buildings will have 10' roll up doors on each end, one walk out door and two windows (around 6'-7' up for security) which are not shown in my rough drawing. The drawing is to scale with the cars being current 911 sized

I put the deposit down today and have a few days to make any last minute adjustments.

I had lots of good suggestions last time that I will be incorporating such as a loft (not shown on the drawings) . Based on previous feedback I need to spend more time thinking the layout of the bathroom (if I have one) and sink areas. The tool and storage rooms drawn are just for me to think about. Interior layout is something I will add later after the building are up.

So, is there a fatal flaw or anything I am overlooking in this design? As I mentioned, I have a few days to make changes before the design/build process kicks off. Slab will be poured in around 4 weeks and building go up in 6 to 8 weeks.

Click to view attachment
BK911
6 car garage with only one door?
Go with a single and double, or three singles.
Personally I would go with one large building and put up a partition wall to separate conditioned vrs non cond space.
And at least three doors on both ends!!!
billh1963
QUOTE(BK911 @ Jan 27 2017, 06:05 PM) *

6 car garage with only one door?
Go with a single and double, or three singles.
Personally I would go with one large building and put up a partition wall to separate conditioned vrs non cond space.
And at least three doors on both ends!!!

Each building has two doors....

I might add an additional rollup door on the left building
enf2232
Check local zoning regulations. Two out buildings or accessory buildings may not be allowed without a variance.
Mark Henry
Personally I would do one building with an insulated wall with door and rollup down the center, heated one side unheated on the other. My buddy's shop is done this way.

Here I'd get taxed higher on two out buildings than a single bigger one.

How tall? You need 12' for a two post lift. shades.gif
billh1963
Zoning is not an issue. This is on my farm and no building permit is needed. I will need a permit for electrical work but not for building.

Both buildings are insulated.... roof and walls

rhodyguy
Atleast do the plumbing rough in. Big concrete pours. Really cool plan.
db9146
Maybe remove the single door on the west side of the left building and install two doors on the north wall of that building to ease moving cars in and out - I realize that might mean three rows of two instead of two rows of three. Less jockying around to get a car out potentially.
dakotaewing
I know it would add to the cost, but I would consider putting a roof over the pad between the 2 buildings as a port'e cache (sp?), with the possibility of enclosing it in the future.
mepstein
Terrific!

I agree with roughing in the plumbing. Cap it off and you can use the room for other things until your ready to do a bath.
mepstein
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Jan 27 2017, 09:37 PM) *

I know it would add to the cost, but I would consider putting a roof over the pad between the 2 buildings as a port'e cache (sp?), with the possibility of enclosing it in the future.

That's where you sit with your beer and bbq and relax looking at your cars.
GaroldShaffer
The only problem I see is that we don't live closer and I am jealous that I don't have the space or $$ to do the same. Looks great! beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
While you're pouring, concrete aprons sloped away at the outside end doors. Is this steel or pole construction?
rgalla9146
"Zoning is not an issue"......... I want to move there !
All my stuff in one place. Studio for the wife. Warmer weather. 30' x 40' or 50' .......
JOEPROPER
Looks tight on the tool storage sides. Will need a few sets of "go jack" to move cars around. Other than that looks great.
KELTY360
First off, you can't have too many garage doors.

That said, in my opinion, the only way your design works is if you add enough width to the buildings so that you can park cars perpendicular to the side walls. That way, your central aisle becomes functional as a thru passage and individual cars can be moved at will instead of the jockeying now required. You could even install a four post lift(s) to increase storage capacity, depending on your roof height. BTW, where is your lift going to live?

The arrangement I've described also makes it more convenient for displaying your cars as the storage area becomes a man cave. There are few things more fun than planning and executing a work and storage area for your cars. Good luck...enjoy! aktion035.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 27 2017, 10:27 PM) *

While you're pouring, concrete aprons sloped away at the outside end doors. Is this steel or pole construction?

Steel construction.

Yes, there will be aprons on both ends. Need a transition to drive into the garage...not sure how high the slab will sit.
billh1963
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jan 28 2017, 01:45 PM) *

That said, in my opinion, the only way your design works is if you add enough width to the buildings so that you can park cars perpendicular to the side walls. That way, your central aisle becomes functional as a thru passage and individual cars can be moved at will instead of the jockeying now required. You could even install a four post lift(s) to increase storage capacity, depending on your roof height. BTW, where is your lift going to live?

I've thought about two doors on the left building. That may allow better access. The cars are drawn about 20-25% bigger than they will be in real life to show a "worst case" scenario.

The two post lift will be in the center aisle on the end towards the connecting concrete pad. 4 post lifts are in the future plans. It may also make sense to move the doors to the outer walls

KELTY360
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 28 2017, 10:57 AM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jan 28 2017, 01:45 PM) *

I've thought about two doors on the left building. That may allow better access. The cars are drawn about 20-25% bigger than they will be in real life to show a "worst case" scenario.

The two post lift will be in the center aisle on the end towards the connecting concrete pad. 4 post lifts are in the future plans. It may also make sense to move the doors to the outer walls

I'm going to be a 'buttinski' here so I won't be offended if you tell me to butt out. How many cars do you expect to be working on at any given time? Work-around space in the shop area is very important and you don't want to squeeze yourself as you move around the area. Floor space for things like engine, trannies, sheet metal must also be allowed for. Your current design makes moving things around like one of those slide puzzles where you have to shift tiles in order to get a certain tile from one side of the puzzle to the other. Open space is your friend.

If the two post lift is in the middle of the aisle near the door you'll create a logjam if there's a project on the lift and you want to move something else around to the other building. Trust me, it happens.

I've done a quick example showing a 35x40 (1400 sq ft) that could hold 6 cars with 10' rollups at both ends and easier circulation. I'm sure you can find space for benches and storage in this configuration. Note that the aisle is not straight-thru, but it's still wide enough to navigate safely with sufficient space allowed at the entrance and exit. Obviously, roof height and configuration are affected with the offset aisle, but those details can be worked out under the 'buttinski license".

Good luck.

Click to view attachment
billh1963
Not a bad idea. Shift the doors to the side allows "turn in" space. Two 4-post lifts would really change storage capacity smile.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 28 2017, 12:43 PM) *

Two 4-post lifts would really change storage capacity smile.gif

Yup, think of them as cheap square footage.
Chris914n6
Let me preface that my shop space is right next to the house, so a bathroom, the once every few hours I use it, doesn't warrant the cost. I've got a faucet within hose length and can easily roll a car out for a bath. Though a sink has it's uses.

I've got 6 cars spread between the 20x28 shop, 2 car driveway, and a carport.

I think you underestimated the shelving and storage space. My 2 car garage is nearly full with 2 motorcycles, full size toolbox, shop equipment like table saw, band saw, bender, welder, press etc, a 3x8 work bench, a few engines/trans/wheels, yard and house tools, and in 20 years I've managed to accumulate 8 2x4 shelves of stuff too nice to toss or spares.

Plus you will likely add a rotisserie. And someday you will put a long term project on the lift and wish it was free for a quickie.

I like the open air space for sandblasting, though I think at some point shade would be appreciated. I think a pool shade cloth would be choice since it can be taken down pretty easy.

billh1963
Latest thoughts...have to finalize plans this week. The only thing I HAVE to finalize is door and window placement.

Really starting to question if 30' is wide enough......

Any additional thoughts?

1. Bathroom is optional. Will put in plumbing lines just in case.

2. Extended connecting concrete. Good ideas about covering later. Could also be closed in and made into a "dirty" work shop...paint/welding/blasting/etc.

3. Bathroom and tool storage rooms are not drawn to scale...they are just place holders. I will build those later.

Click to view attachment
KELTY360
Looking good. I think you're wise to consider going wider than 30'. Do some research on turning radius' to access the four post lifts, especially the first one. You might even look at angle parking to make access easier. I'll bet you could mock up your dimensions in a parking lot to prove that you have adequate turn in.

Good idea on the separate compressor room. Pay careful attention to your lighting plan as you move forward.
BK911
I would reconsider the position of the side doors.
I have a 24x36 shed with 5 single doors.
I do not have to move cars to get any of them in or out.

Click to view attachment
6freak
pool lights in the floor under the lift they work super good for under the car lighting best of luck Mr smile.gif
rhodyguy
Marc, altering the structural design at this point might result in re-engineering the whole project. Not to include time and change order$.
KELTY360
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 31 2017, 10:59 AM) *

Marc, altering the structural design at this point might result in re-engineering the whole project. Not to include time and change order$.

I'm sure you're right, but the object of the exercise is to get a building(s) that you're happy to live with for a large number of years. If a design ends up as a constant frustration because it's not very functional, is that $$ well saved?
billh1963
Well, I did go back to see about increasing the size of the buildings. However, they have already started cutting steel.

So, I think the latest layout will work.

Using the suggestion of angling the lifts, I think this gives me plenty of room for working (the first shop is the workshop) and plenty of room for storage.

I can enclose the space in between the two shops later on for a "dirt work area" as needed. Worst case I can cover it.

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
A large easy-up would be cheap and functional for the slab joining the 2 structures when you need cover. You'll have plenty of storage. wink.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 31 2017, 12:15 PM) *

Well, I did go back to see about increasing the size of the buildings. However, they have already started cutting steel.

So, I think the latest layout will work.

Using the suggestion of angling the lifts, I think this gives me plenty of room for working (the first shop is the workshop) and plenty of room for storage.

I can enclose the space in between the two shops later on for a "dirt work area" as needed. Worst case I can cover it.

Click to view attachment

I think you'll like that shop arrangement. You've given yourself a lot of open space. Be sure to give yourself plenty of room to circulate around the two post. An additional benefit is that you'll be able to use the aisle way for quick projects that don't require the lift.

Enjoy!
billh1963
Taken a while...but, slab was poured today!!!!

Click to view attachment
AZBanks
Congrats. I love a good "build thread".
JmuRiz
Wow, bigger than all levels of my house and garage combined.
Stupid small lots close to the city sad.gif
DRPHIL914
that's great to get started!! awesome! what part of NC are you building? is it close to Charlotte?
Cairo94507
Wow- How cool. I would love to have that kind of garage space. But alas, no farm for me. Wonderful space you have designed.
rhodyguy
Big piece of concrete. When the iron erectors get started the process should move quickly. How long do you have to wait? 30 days for cure time?
billh1963
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 27 2017, 11:09 AM) *

Big piece of concrete. When the iron erectors get started the process should move quickly. How long do you have to wait? 30 days for cure time?

At least two weeks pending concrete cure progress....

billh1963
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jun 27 2017, 09:38 AM) *

that's great to get started!! awesome! what part of NC are you building? is it close to Charlotte?

About 1 hour East of Charlotte
DRPHIL914
sounds like a nice central location for a 914 get together, picnic or cookout!
I think you will have to have a open house once complete!
billh1963
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jun 28 2017, 09:35 AM) *

sounds like a nice central location for a 914 get together, picnic or cookout!
I think you will have to have a open house once complete!

drunk.gif chowtime.gif beerchug.gif agree.gif
billh1963
Finally completed! Two day build and buildings are done.

Next will be electrical and then a lift.

Click to view attachment
billh1963
next

Click to view attachment
billh1963
another

Click to view attachment
billh1963
One building done

Click to view attachment
billh1963
last picture before completion....

was finished just after dark and had to leave at 05:00 to get back home for work. Will take a finished picture next time

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Awesome!
DRPHIL914
piratenanner.gif

now you wont have to keep paying rent on the storage!
billh1963
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 24 2017, 07:36 PM) *

piratenanner.gif

now you wont have to keep paying rent on the storage!

Exactly!

Will pay for itself in 5.5 years
Unobtanium-inc
I wish my lot was more level, so I could put up some buildings like this, but I live on a Ridge, so most of the lot is a steep hill. I punched out the ceiling in my garage and put in lifts, but that only buys me 4 spaces. I'm jealous of those two new beautiful buildings!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.