Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Idle speed question, Fast idle when cold..
oakdalecurtis
post Jan 30 2017, 01:32 PM
Post #1

Oakdalecurtis

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

May be a stupid question, but here goes. I have a stock 76 2.0. I had it up on blocks for a few months recently while I did a lot of fix ups. I installed the missing bellows thermostat (works great), new throttle position board, new trigger points, new plug wires, cleaned up throttle body, and reattached the broken wire lead to the ambient air temp sensor next to the throttle body. The engine runs flawlessly from the get go for the first time since I've owned it, as it used to intermittently miss under hard acceleration. I'm in California, so the coldest it gets outside is 35 degrees. When I first start the car, it idles fast at around 1500 rpm, then settles down after warm up to a nice 600 to 700 rpm. Is that normal, is it the temp sensor on top of the engine causing it, and should anything be checked or changed?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Jan 30 2017, 02:46 PM
Post #2

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

It sounds like it is working the way it's supposed to. D-Jet has an Auxiliary Air Regulator (AAR) to provide more air to the engine when cold. Kind of an artificial vacuum leak that results in a higher idle. As the element inside heats up (either from heater coil inside or from the engine itself) it closes and the idle settles down.

I think 600 RPM is little low when warm, and you may want to adjust the idle bypass to bring it up a bit.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jan 30 2017, 03:03 PM
Post #3

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Idle speed should be set to 900 +/-50 RPM
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 05:44 PM