Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Idle speed question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oakdalecurtis
May be a stupid question, but here goes. I have a stock 76 2.0. I had it up on blocks for a few months recently while I did a lot of fix ups. I installed the missing bellows thermostat (works great), new throttle position board, new trigger points, new plug wires, cleaned up throttle body, and reattached the broken wire lead to the ambient air temp sensor next to the throttle body. The engine runs flawlessly from the get go for the first time since I've owned it, as it used to intermittently miss under hard acceleration. I'm in California, so the coldest it gets outside is 35 degrees. When I first start the car, it idles fast at around 1500 rpm, then settles down after warm up to a nice 600 to 700 rpm. Is that normal, is it the temp sensor on top of the engine causing it, and should anything be checked or changed?
BeatNavy
It sounds like it is working the way it's supposed to. D-Jet has an Auxiliary Air Regulator (AAR) to provide more air to the engine when cold. Kind of an artificial vacuum leak that results in a higher idle. As the element inside heats up (either from heater coil inside or from the engine itself) it closes and the idle settles down.

I think 600 RPM is little low when warm, and you may want to adjust the idle bypass to bring it up a bit.
JeffBowlsby
Idle speed should be set to 900 +/-50 RPM
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.