Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Attaching Porsche engine grille letters, Anyone ever try double stick tape?
NJTom
post Feb 21 2017, 07:15 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,643
Region Association: None

Just wondering if anyone has any experience using automotive double stick tape to adhere the letters to the grille. A hot rod buddy of mine says he and his friends have been using it for years. Told me cut out the exact size for each letter and put on. Since I've got about half the studs he told me just push them through the tape. My mechanic is concerned about the excessive heat and thinks that will cause a problem. Thanks!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 21 2017, 10:43 AM
Post #2

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

I'd be concerned about heat making the adhesive melt or fail in that location.

Also, you're trying to attache to a few thin grill mesh strips which are each slightly curved top surfaces - not ideal for adhesives anyway, whereas I'll bet your hot rod buddies are attaching to a solid flat surface.

I've had issues with 3M velcro tabs going gummy & pulling off on the interior of my `88 Westy van where they hold the sunvisors with now weakened 29 year old springs up, so I doubt even a quality 3M double stick foam tape in your case will fare any better - probably worse.

I'd suggest that you get somebody to braise or TIG weld new studs where missing on the letters - or you can still get gold ones new from Porsche, & NOS or nice used silver ones around - if cheaper than the missing studs' repairs (not sure if that's your car in the pix with silver). FYI - Gold was used 70-72, then Silver 73-76.

Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Rand
post Feb 21 2017, 11:20 AM
Post #3

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

It's the cool air intake. The only time it gets hot there is right after you shut your car off and some heat rises from the engine compartment. I seriously doubt it ever gets hot enough to melt double stick tape. Easy enough to test before drawing a final conclusion.

But as Tom referenced, the mesh / expanded metal isn't the best surface for pressure sensitive foam tape compared to a solid flat surface.

Give it a try and let us know! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
NJTom
post Feb 21 2017, 11:58 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 17,643

Thanks you!
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Feb 21 2017, 12:03 PM
Post #5

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

one way to look at it is the letters are not good anyway because some mounting pins are missing so not much loss if they fall off.

Also you could use the tape and use whichever pins are still intact.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 03:50 PM