Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Attaching Porsche engine grille letters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NJTom
Just wondering if anyone has any experience using automotive double stick tape to adhere the letters to the grille. A hot rod buddy of mine says he and his friends have been using it for years. Told me cut out the exact size for each letter and put on. Since I've got about half the studs he told me just push them through the tape. My mechanic is concerned about the excessive heat and thinks that will cause a problem. Thanks!
Tom_T
I'd be concerned about heat making the adhesive melt or fail in that location.

Also, you're trying to attache to a few thin grill mesh strips which are each slightly curved top surfaces - not ideal for adhesives anyway, whereas I'll bet your hot rod buddies are attaching to a solid flat surface.

I've had issues with 3M velcro tabs going gummy & pulling off on the interior of my `88 Westy van where they hold the sunvisors with now weakened 29 year old springs up, so I doubt even a quality 3M double stick foam tape in your case will fare any better - probably worse.

I'd suggest that you get somebody to braise or TIG weld new studs where missing on the letters - or you can still get gold ones new from Porsche, & NOS or nice used silver ones around - if cheaper than the missing studs' repairs (not sure if that's your car in the pix with silver). FYI - Gold was used 70-72, then Silver 73-76.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Rand
It's the cool air intake. The only time it gets hot there is right after you shut your car off and some heat rises from the engine compartment. I seriously doubt it ever gets hot enough to melt double stick tape. Easy enough to test before drawing a final conclusion.

But as Tom referenced, the mesh / expanded metal isn't the best surface for pressure sensitive foam tape compared to a solid flat surface.

Give it a try and let us know! smile.gif
NJTom
Thanks you!
Spoke
one way to look at it is the letters are not good anyway because some mounting pins are missing so not much loss if they fall off.

Also you could use the tape and use whichever pins are still intact.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.