Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Intermittent Problem with Ignition, with NEW ignition switch!, Weird. After car warm, no-go. Next morning, no problem. ??
MikeInMunich
post Feb 27 2017, 05:55 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,674
Region Association: None

Greetings from Munich Gentlemen! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I recently had my (cracked) ignition switch changed out. Before last night (3rd time) I had previously experienced no engagement of the starter when turning the key twice, AFTER the switch was replaced. On the 2nd or 3rd attempt however it engaged. Naturally I was like, WTF? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) but as we do, let it be until the problem manifests itself more dramatically.

So, last night after some harder test driving and the engine fully warm, I parked it. 10 minutes later I went to go out again and it would not start despite 20 attempts and jiggling the key.

Before posting today I wanted to test it again, and as I had suspected could well happen, it engaged immediately on the first attempt this morning. The only (?) difference was the engine themperature.

Does this sound like it could be a relay problem?
Could a faulty or non-existent ground be the source?

Some of you may know that I have a current and ongoing thread on "intermittent hesitation with D-Jet" I will post a new report there today as well.

For you experts out there, can you reckon what may be causing BOTH of these problems?

Thanks for your time and feedback?

M.i.M.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MikeInMunich
post Feb 27 2017, 12:16 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 16,674
Region Association: None

I think the ignition switch is busted again. Jiggling the key seems to work. I read thatbthe new replacement switches can be of poor quality.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Feb 27 2017, 12:41 PM
Post #3

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Yup. The stock starter circuit has no relay in it. So the only way a bad relay could be causing your problem is if someone installed it into the circuit.

The fact that the starter works when you wiggle the key really points to the ignition switch, though. And yes, the ones available now do not seem to be the best quality.

--DD
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 27 2017, 12:41 PM
Post #4

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Personally I use the Ford solenoid for 2 reasons, it used to be I only used it for the hot start issue, but now I install them in every car to reduce the load on the ignition switch.

My solution would be to find a good used german switch and install the Ford solenoid.

I'm not a fan of using the Bosch horn relay, it's not waterproof and I think it's too light for the task.
Look up how I install the Ford solenoid, I don't cut wires and drill no holes.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 02:23 PM