Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intermittent Problem with Ignition, with NEW ignition switch!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeInMunich
Greetings from Munich Gentlemen! beerchug.gif

I recently had my (cracked) ignition switch changed out. Before last night (3rd time) I had previously experienced no engagement of the starter when turning the key twice, AFTER the switch was replaced. On the 2nd or 3rd attempt however it engaged. Naturally I was like, WTF? confused24.gif but as we do, let it be until the problem manifests itself more dramatically.

So, last night after some harder test driving and the engine fully warm, I parked it. 10 minutes later I went to go out again and it would not start despite 20 attempts and jiggling the key.

Before posting today I wanted to test it again, and as I had suspected could well happen, it engaged immediately on the first attempt this morning. The only (?) difference was the engine themperature.

Does this sound like it could be a relay problem?
Could a faulty or non-existent ground be the source?

Some of you may know that I have a current and ongoing thread on "intermittent hesitation with D-Jet" I will post a new report there today as well.

For you experts out there, can you reckon what may be causing BOTH of these problems?

Thanks for your time and feedback?

M.i.M.
MikeInMunich
I think the ignition switch is busted again. Jiggling the key seems to work. I read thatbthe new replacement switches can be of poor quality.
Dave_Darling
Yup. The stock starter circuit has no relay in it. So the only way a bad relay could be causing your problem is if someone installed it into the circuit.

The fact that the starter works when you wiggle the key really points to the ignition switch, though. And yes, the ones available now do not seem to be the best quality.

--DD
Mark Henry
Personally I use the Ford solenoid for 2 reasons, it used to be I only used it for the hot start issue, but now I install them in every car to reduce the load on the ignition switch.

My solution would be to find a good used german switch and install the Ford solenoid.

I'm not a fan of using the Bosch horn relay, it's not waterproof and I think it's too light for the task.
Look up how I install the Ford solenoid, I don't cut wires and drill no holes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.