Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mars on a budget, 75 914 field-find into cool driver
DRPHIL914
post Aug 21 2020, 01:06 PM
Post #41

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

lol i had the same thing happen to my 75 back in february , the original shift bushing gave out leaving me with 2&3 only , i also did the brass bushings and now shifting again like new. - btw i like the gold color on the wheels!!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rjames
post Aug 21 2020, 01:17 PM
Post #42

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Nice job on bringing back this car into the world again. Love the color! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

The only thing that I wish you'd done differently is fix the floor correctly instead of using fiberglass. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) Welding in a new patch would be a fairly easy thing to do.
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Aug 21 2020, 01:31 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Mayne @ Aug 21 2020, 12:00 PM) *

On one drive, I suddenly lost the ability to shift into 4th and 5th. Could this be the culprit?

Better:

Also got a radio blank-off plate from 914Rubber:

Best wishes to all!

Looking great Jeremy on your car.
That will definitely improved a lot on your shifting after replacing the coupler bushing. Maybe much as well replace the firewall bushing if it was not replaced yet or check if no much play on it.

Congratulations!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Aug 21 2020, 01:46 PM
Post #44

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Jeremy I like your car and that you keep working away as you are driving and enjoying it. I too wish you would address the front and rear trunk repairs properly. I get it is a time consuming thing and may cost a couple dollars. I would bet you could find the panels for almost nothing on here from a car getting parted out. Aside from that, it is looking nice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 21 2020, 04:34 PM
Post #45

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Drive, enjoy and keep improving over time. It's part of the fun of the project. Looks good, another 914 saved!
+Quote Post
Mayne
post Aug 21 2020, 07:41 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 20,880
Region Association: None

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 21 2020, 01:06 PM) *

lol i had the same thing happen to my 75 back in february , the original shift bushing gave out leaving me with 2&3 only , i also did the brass bushings and now shifting again like new. - btw i like the gold color on the wheels!!!

Yeah the brass bushings made a big difference, until the linkage came apart! Wheels are done in Plastidip Vintage Gold.

QUOTE(rjames @ Aug 21 2020, 01:17 PM) *

Nice job on bringing back this car into the world again. Love the color! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

The only thing that I wish you'd done differently is fix the floor correctly instead of using fiberglass. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) Welding in a new patch would be a fairly easy thing to do.

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 21 2020, 01:46 PM) *

Jeremy I like your car and that you keep working away as you are driving and enjoying it. I too wish you would address the front and rear trunk repairs properly. I get it is a time consuming thing and may cost a couple dollars. I would bet you could find the panels for almost nothing on here from a car getting parted out. Aside from that, it is looking nice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I understand! It kind of made me cringe to do these half-assed fixes. I did a lot of rust repair on my old Datsun Roadster, so I know how satisfying it is to do it right.
70 Datsun Roadster inner fender repair:
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

On the 914, they were temporary stop-gaps so I could use the car some and I didn't want to rush a welding job. I want those repairs to be high quality when I get to them. Thanks for the comments and encouraging words!

+Quote Post
Mayne
post Aug 21 2020, 07:44 PM
Post #47

A shot from my most recent drive. The car didn't break on this one!
Attached Image

Time for my Friday beer! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
Mayne
post Apr 1 2021, 04:07 PM
Post #48

Here are a few updates of some work I've been doing on the teener. The center armrest has bugged me since I've owned the car, with it's torn and funky looking vinyl, especially now because the interior is looking pretty decent. I found this upholstery kit on eBay for like $30. It took forever to get, so much so that I pretty much gave up on getting it. Then one day, mystery package at the door!
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Then my brother Zach gave me an extra Porsche badge that he had blacked out for his dark grey 911. He didn't like it, but I though maybe it'd look cool on the matte black hood. I don't intend to run one when the car gets painted, but for now I like it. I cut off the pins on the back and stuck it on with 3M tape.
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mayne
post Apr 1 2021, 04:14 PM
Post #49

I also found a 19mm Weltmeister front sway bar on eBay. I was pretty excited about that and then when I had a chance to get some 165# Weltmeister rear springs from a forum member, that pushed it over the top. New rear Bilsteins followed for a nice little suspension upgrade.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

And, a little preview of coming attractions?
Attached Image

Cheers!
+Quote Post
Mayne
post Apr 25 2021, 09:37 AM
Post #50

PMB five lug conversion complete!

The specs are as follow: PMB five lug kit, which includes new redrilled front rotors, new front wheel bearings, new redrilled rear rotors, redrilled rear 914 hubs, new rear wheel bearings. Also, 72mm bullet nose studs, 15x7 cookie cutters, 195/55-15 Sumitomos (I wanted 205/50 but my brother had these new tires that he donated to the project). The tires look pretty nice and I certainly don't need any more rubber for the street with the 1.7.

I thought I took more pics of the rear but I guess not. There will be a video in a couple of days.

Here are a few random photos from the conversion:
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

My rear calipers were frozen solid so they're out at PMB right now. Hopefully I can get those on in another week or so, then get it aligned and see how it feels.

Cheers!
+Quote Post
Mayne
post Apr 26 2021, 08:11 PM
Post #51

As promised, a video on the five lug install. This is part one, covering the front end. Mostly just me blathering on for a while, but hopefully informative for someone considering the swap.

Retromod YouTube
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Apr 27 2021, 12:48 AM
Post #52

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481

I normally don't like Cookies on a 914. But those are the right wheels for that car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

I like the Skateboard Decks too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mayne
post May 9 2021, 09:35 AM
Post #53

Okay, here's part 2 of the five lug swap video:

Retromod 914 five lug swap video

My rear calipers from PMB shipped last Friday, so hopefully I can get it back on the road soon! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Mayne
post Oct 29 2021, 11:08 AM
Post #54

It was a busy summer getting our house ready for my older daughter's wedding, but work continues slowly on the 914. I got my rear calipers from PMB, and of course, they're absolutely beautifully done.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

I'm still not totally happy with the brake performance, so there's some work to done. They just don't seem to bite as much as I think they should. Probably further adjustment on the rears and maybe replacing or rebuilding the pressure regulator?
+Quote Post
Mayne
post Oct 29 2021, 11:18 AM
Post #55

In other news, I finally got a new radiator...for my aircooled Porsche? Yes, the cat's out of the bag! I will begin the process of doing an EZ30 Subaru swap on my car. I will work on the cooling system at the front first to keep the car on the road. Here's the Celica GTS radiator with dual fans that I got off eBay. $240 to my door. Looks like it should fit pretty well.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

As previously shown, the floor of my trunk was cut out at some point for AC, so the plan for now is exit the air flow out the floor with ducting. I know some people concerns about the downward force of air creating front end lift, but I honestly don't know if I'll the car fast enough for it to be an issue. Time will tell, I guess!

More to come as I continue to steal everyone's clever solutions to these swaps.
+Quote Post
Mayne
post Dec 1 2021, 07:11 PM
Post #56

Now that I've committed to doing the Subaru EZ30 6 cylinder swap, I've been trying to make some progress. Focusing on the cooling system fabrication in the frunk, I'm making a little headway. The first thing I did was to buy a small Titanium flux core welder to replace my well-used Chicago Electric welder. Still a budget unit, but I like it fine.
Attached Image

My first welding job was to make the frame that will accommodate the floating radiator mounts. One inch square tubing and some flat bar make up the bottom and sides. Not pretty welds, but they'll get the job done.
Attached Image
Attached Image

The flat bar tabs were drilled and grommeted for the bottom mounting posts on the radiator.
Attached Image

I should note that I basically ripped off the approach from forum member rmarx (how do you tag someone in a post?). Thanks for the ideas! As he did, I will make drilled and grommeted tabs for the top posts as well, that will mount below or above the sheet metal cowling that will cover the intake side.

+Quote Post
Mayne
post Dec 1 2021, 07:25 PM
Post #57

The next thing I needed to deal with was the terribly cut out floor pan, courtesy of the PO. I know some feel it's not the best way to vent air out, but I've decided to do it throught the frunk floor. I ordered the vented floor pan from Patrick Motorsports. For $65, it's fairly cheap, and it was fun to order something from them. Probably the only item ever!
Attached Image

It's designed for an oil cooler, so for my purposes, I needed to get the louvers back closer to the bulkhead to accommodate the radiator and fans. So I lopped of the extra material and moved it to the other side.
Attached Image
Attached Image

I cut it to the floor shape, then decided I needed more airflow. So I drilled a series of alternating 7/8" and 1 3/8" holes (trying to retain some strength), then covered them with expanded sheet metal to keep out rodents and debris. Wasn't too worried about covering the louvers.
Attached Image
Attached Image

At this point the pan is mostly seam welded in place. I'll post a few pics when I get it primed and seam sealed.

+Quote Post
Mayne
post Jan 6 2022, 03:13 PM
Post #58

Work continues on the frunk-mounted cooling system. I got the vented floor pan welded in place, seam-sealed and primed. It felt great to repair that floor pan, even though its a different approach than I may have envisioned originally.

Attached Image
Attached Image

To mount the radiator frame to the floor, I made two tabs from 1/8" bar steel, drilled and bolted them to the bottom frame rail, then welded them to trunk floor. This way, the entire frame can be unbolted from the car relatively easily.

Attached Image

I bent and welded 1" bar steel supports to connect the upper frame to the front of the car. I lifted the weatherstripping and drilled holes for low-profile bolts to connect the supports.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

The final piece to be able to mount the radiator was to create tabs to be bolted to the upper frame supports that are also grommeted to the top rad mounting pins. By removing the bolts (nuts are welded underneath), I can easily remove the radiator.

Attached Image

I'm actually going to re-do the tab design because I'm not happy with how it looks, but for now, the radiator is in position the way I planned.

Next step with be to start on the shroud design and execution, so we'll see how that goes. Happy New Year!
+Quote Post
brant
post Jan 6 2022, 03:18 PM
Post #59

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Nice Work !!

man that Datsun is sure pretty!

brant
+Quote Post
Mayne
post Jan 6 2022, 03:30 PM
Post #60

QUOTE(brant @ Jan 6 2022, 04:18 PM) *

Nice Work !!

man that Datsun is sure pretty!

brant

Thanks! I miss the old Roadster, especially when I'm hanging around some friends who still have them, but as sports cars go, they don't hold a candle to a 914!

But here's some cool Datsun Roadster content from my bro's YouTube channel. The owner of the cars is a friend here in NM.
YouTube

+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 05:56 PM