Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> transmission, 1971 901 transmission
tbone1819
post Mar 21 2017, 08:19 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,800
Region Association: North East States

If i have a transmission,linkage and shifter from a 1971, could i put it into my 73?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 21 2017, 08:24 AM
Post #2

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Why would you go from a side-shifter transaxle to a tail-shifter? But yes, assuming you swap over all of the various parts unique to a tail-shifter to go into your side-shifter it should work. I say that based upon the fact we upgraded my tail-shifter Six transaxle to a side-shifter because it is a better shift mechanism. So I see no reason it could not go the other way too.
+Quote Post
tbone1819
post Mar 21 2017, 09:20 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 21 2017, 10:24 AM) *

Why would you go from a side-shifter transaxle to a tail-shifter? But yes, assuming you swap over all of the various parts unique to a tail-shifter to go into your side-shifter it should work. I say that based upon the fact we upgraded my tail-shifter Six transaxle to a side-shifter because it is a better shift mechanism. So I see no reason it could not go the other way too.

Do you have a photo of both examples of these transmissions? I am so new to these cars. I needed synchros in my trans and found a guy who was selling his recently rebuilt one for $300, so I jumped on it. He gave me everything too.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Mar 21 2017, 09:23 AM
Post #4

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Ah, you responded while I was typing.

As Cairo said, you can swap the shifting bits from the later transmission to the earlier one and have the correct (and better!) shift linkage setup with the gearing and synchros and such from the earlier trans.

--DD
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
brant
post Mar 21 2017, 09:24 AM
Post #5

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

To convert between a tail and side shifter requires changing the motor bar. Motor mounts. All 3 parts of the shifter itself and shift linkage

Your
Tail shifter can internally be converted to a side shifter using your bad tranny as a core to take the rear cover and internal shifting forks out of
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Mar 21 2017, 09:31 AM
Post #6

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Why? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

A 911-901 core is going for a good buck these days, sell it and you can likely buy a good 914 sideshifter core and all the new bits to do a full rebuild.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 21 2017, 09:44 AM
Post #7

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The linkage on the firewall is different. It would be a lot of work to convert to the early linkage.
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Mar 21 2017, 10:38 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(tbone1819 @ Mar 21 2017, 10:20 AM) *

Do you have a photo of both examples of these transmissions? I am so new to these cars. I needed synchros in my trans and found a guy who was selling his recently rebuilt one for $300, so I jumped on it. He gave me everything too.

Google "914 transmission tail shift"

or this link

then open another browser and do: "914 transmission side shift"

Under the input bar will be a way to look at IMAGES. Click the word "IMAGES". It won't take you long to see the difference.
+Quote Post
tbone1819
post Mar 21 2017, 01:32 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Mar 21 2017, 12:38 PM) *

QUOTE(tbone1819 @ Mar 21 2017, 10:20 AM) *

Google "914 transmission tail shift"

or this link

then open another browser and do: "914 transmission side shift"

Under the input bar will be a way to look at IMAGES. Click the word "IMAGES". It won't take you long to see the difference.

Thanks guys!
+Quote Post
tbone1819
post Mar 21 2017, 01:32 PM
Post #10

Thank you so much!
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Mar 21 2017, 01:52 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Like MarkHenry said, sell the 71...Then send your 73 to Doctor Evil for a tune up, he has all the parts needed. Best, Mark
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 10:33 PM