Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My 914-6 past history
KELTY360
post Apr 22 2017, 08:41 PM
Post #21

914 Neferati

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Jason 914-6 @ Mar 27 2017, 08:33 PM) *

Its safe and won't rust any more in the shed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Don't be so sure, rust never sleeps. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
burton73
post Apr 22 2017, 09:14 PM
Post #22

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Apr 22 2017, 07:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Jason 914-6 @ Mar 27 2017, 08:33 PM) *

Its safe and won't rust any more in the shed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Don't be so sure, rust never sleeps. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

O Boy, stop that rust (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Apr 22 2017, 11:42 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

[quote name='Jason 914-6' date='Apr 22 2017, 06:35 PM' post='2478417']
[quote name='Mark Henry' date='Mar 26 2017, 06:46 PM' post='2468623']
Well it's definitely going to be a project, but I've seen members start with worse.
Let's see some pics of the longs.

Is this bad (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

[/quote]

The good news is there is less to have to cut away. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Apr 23 2017, 07:37 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I'd take it totally apart and have the chassis completely blasted to see where all the rust is hiding. Only then do you really know the scope of your project.

Please chronical your project with lots of photos to share and enjoy it in good health!
+Quote Post
SixerJ
post Apr 23 2017, 04:03 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 16,042
Region Association: England

Cool project, lots of rust & take your time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

I bought my six about 4 years ago and due to other projects and the sheer number of bits needed I've just been building up the stock pile while she is sleeping in the garage. I figured it's going to be a lot easier to make decent progress quickly if I have all (or nearly all) the parts at hand. Also to your point, a little bit spent every month doesn't feel quite so painful and it take time to find the parts

When I did the 911 in one go, it got scary very quickly and I stopped punching numbers into the spreadsheet for fear the misses would find it, then life would become really expensive...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)
+Quote Post
Jason 914-6
post Apr 23 2017, 07:41 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 3,069

QUOTE(SixerJ @ Apr 23 2017, 02:03 PM) *

Cool project, lots of rust & take your time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

I bought my six about 4 years ago and due to other projects and the sheer number of bits needed I've just been building up the stock pile while she is sleeping in the garage. I figured it's going to be a lot easier to make decent progress quickly if I have all (or nearly all) the parts at hand. Also to your point, a little bit spent every month doesn't feel quite so painful and it take time to find the parts

When I did the 911 in one go, it got scary very quickly and I stopped punching numbers into the spreadsheet for fear the misses would find it, then life would become really expensive...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)

Yep it'll be a slow process (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
What really sucks is that I see a lot of nice parts for sale (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) but I know the freight to get them is not viable (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
Due to our crap exchange rate 75 cents(Australian) to $1 (US dollar) anything I look at is going to be x 4 the price landed. Might have to come over for a shopping trip (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Midway
post Apr 24 2017, 07:06 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 20,461
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Jason 914-6 @ Apr 24 2017, 09:41 AM) *

QUOTE(SixerJ @ Apr 23 2017, 02:03 PM) *

Yep it'll be a slow process (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
What really sucks is that I see a lot of nice parts for sale (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) but I know the freight to get them is not viable (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
Due to our crap exchange rate 75 cents(Australian) to $1 (US dollar) anything I look at is going to be x 4 the price landed. Might have to come over for a shopping trip (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Having a mate in California would be useful. You could buy bits over time and store them there until a you have a crate full then ship it over as a partial load in a container. Should be cheaper than airfreight. Well, it's a theory anyway!
+Quote Post
Jason 914-6
post Apr 25 2017, 12:50 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 3,069

Having a mate in California would be useful. You could buy bits over time and store them there until a you have a crate full then ship it over as a partial load in a container. Should be cheaper than airfreight. Well, it's a theory anyway!

Yes very true I/m thinking of buying a running 914-4 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) and a selection of parts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) to stuff in a box. CA is getting expensive these days (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) might look at Kelso WA have found a good deal on freight. Just need to save some $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 10:04 AM