Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gearbox input shaft seal installation?
falcor75
post Apr 1 2017, 07:51 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

How deep should it be installed? Flush with the outer flange or flush with the inner flanfe??
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Apr 1 2017, 07:52 AM
Post #2

Attached Image
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Apr 1 2017, 09:41 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 17,273
Region Association: Southwest Region

In order to seal properly, (and I just did mine a week or two ago - and it doesn't leak... for now...) I used a smooth pipe long enough to straddle the shaft and tapped it "home" to mate the seal with the inner case area. If memory serves me, it went in another eighth inch from where your picture shows it to be. Someone else may have a different experience.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Apr 1 2017, 10:11 AM
Post #4

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The primary goal is to just get the seal deep enough so that it doesn't interfere with the tube when mounted back onto the case. The way you check that: if the seal's opening starts to distort at any point while you're installing that tube, the seal needs to go deeper. If it does not distort, and the tube mounts cleanly then, in the words of Dr. Evil "you're golden, be happy."

Stock seals had a shoulder that sat on the lip of the opening, but most replacements do not, I believe.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Apr 1 2017, 01:57 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

Had this tool from VW days perfect for installing the new one,got the old one out by drilling a hole and threading a screw it the hole to pull it out.
Attached Image
Old seal fell to pieces when removed,just saved the clutch disk before the oil really got into it.
+Quote Post
mtndawg
post Apr 1 2017, 04:08 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 9,985

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Apr 1 2017, 09:11 AM) *

The primary goal is to just get the seal deep enough so that it doesn't interfere with the tube when mounted back onto the case. The way you check that: if the seal's opening starts to distort at any point while you're installing that tube, the seal needs to go deeper. If it does not distort, and the tube mounts cleanly then, in the words of Dr. Evil "you're golden, be happy."

Stock seals had a shoulder that sat on the lip of the opening, but most replacements do not, I believe.

Are those seals available that have the shoulder?
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Apr 1 2017, 05:05 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(mtndawg @ Apr 1 2017, 06:08 PM) *

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Apr 1 2017, 09:11 AM) *

Are those seals available that have the shoulder?

Not that I am aware. 914sixer (Mark) had found a stash of NOS and generously offered those last year pretty reasonably, but I think he's all sold out. Maybe there's another source out there somewhere. You can search. P/N 113-311-113-B.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Apr 1 2017, 09:26 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

I can add a picture of what the seal looks like. I might have one. Mark at 914Rubber has one. He had planned to make them a some point.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Apr 2 2017, 08:00 AM
Post #9

Here's a couple of pics of the type Mark got ahold of last year. The nice new one on the left has a lip - compare to the nasty old one on the right which does not. Mine is about to serve its purpose in life as I'm putting a tranny back together over the next couple of days.

Attached Image

Another. You can almost SEE how excited this seal is as it eagerly awaits installation.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Apr 22 2017, 10:08 AM
Post #10

Well I got a pretty obvious signal from the gearbox that I didnt put the seal in deep enough for the conical inner lip to mate to the input shaft, blue drips on the garagefloor.

So I pulled the gearbox out and will try again tomorrow. Luckily I ordered a few extra seals since they were quite cheap.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/matsgarage.com-15176-1492877335.1.jpg)

Left one is an Elring Klinger that I got from a Swedish Porsche parts dealer. The right one is a Kaco brand that I got from the closest Porsche dealership. The last one I put in was the Kaco brand. Now I'm thinking of using the Elring instead.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/matsgarage.com-15176-1492877336.2.jpg)

Elring left, Kaco right.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/matsgarage.com-15176-1492877337.3.jpg)

Elring is the smooth one and Kaco is the ribbed one.

The only other difference that wont show in pictures is that if I pinch the inner lip of the Kaco brand its much stiffer than the Elring which is more pliable.

So tomorrow I'll pop one in and drive it in deeper than last time when it just cleared the guide tube.

Any other advice? Lube or dry outside?
+Quote Post
dangrouche
post Apr 22 2017, 10:22 AM
Post #11

dangrouche

Member No.: 2,012

I would always smear of lube to prevent tearing of the dry rubber against the tranny metal. getting it in even and square is the challenge, I am thinking a properly sized socket....
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Apr 22 2017, 10:50 AM
Post #12

I made a tool that will work, lasercut a washer that just fits the seal from a 5 mm plate at work and then welded that to a suitable sized steel pipe. I dont have a picture of it available but I'll take one tomorrow....
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Apr 22 2017, 05:02 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(falcor75 @ Apr 22 2017, 10:08 AM) *

Well I got a pretty obvious signal from the gearbox that I didnt put the seal in deep enough for the conical inner lip to mate to the input shaft, blue drips on the garagefloor.

So I pulled the gearbox out and will try again tomorrow. Luckily I ordered a few extra seals since they were quite cheap.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/matsgarage.com-15176-1492877335.1.jpg)

Left one is an Elring Klinger that I got from a Swedish Porsche parts dealer. The right one is a Kaco brand that I got from the closest Porsche dealership. The last one I put in was the Kaco brand. Now I'm thinking of using the Elring instead.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/matsgarage.com-15176-1492877336.2.jpg)

Elring left, Kaco right.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/matsgarage.com-15176-1492877337.3.jpg)

Elring is the smooth one and Kaco is the ribbed one.

The only other difference that wont show in pictures is that if I pinch the inner lip of the Kaco brand its much stiffer than the Elring which is more pliable.

So tomorrow I'll pop one in and drive it in deeper than last time when it just cleared the guide tube.

Any other advice? Lube or dry outside?

Always lubricate a shaft seal. Use the same oil as you are sealing out. Inside and out. I have seen where grease is used. This works for awhile but later prevents oil from lubricating the lip at the point of contact. The result is a worn groove on the shaft and a leak. Lubricate the shaft before inserting also.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Apr 23 2017, 07:50 AM
Post #14

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

You must clean and smooth the inside of the case. I use emory cloth to insure there are no nicks or imperfections in the seating surface.
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Apr 23 2017, 08:42 AM
Post #15

Car is back together and testdriven around 20 km. Will see if it leaks again if so Im turning it over to a pro.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:48 PM