Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Engine not turning, No rain tray, webers
jeffdon
post Apr 2 2017, 12:24 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,087
Region Association: None

My car sat in the rain overnight a month ago and I am pretty sure SOME water got into the carbs. At the time it barely turned over and would not start.

Now it will not turn over at all. Pulled the plugs, jacked up one wheel, and tried to get it to move by turning the wheel. No luck. Could the water that got in have frozen it due to rust? Did I possibly create a hydro lock situation and break something? How can I break it loose?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
cgnj
post Apr 2 2017, 12:29 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 403

QUOTE(jeffdon @ Apr 2 2017, 11:24 AM) *

My car sat in the rain overnight a month ago and I am pretty sure SOME water got into the carbs. At the time it barely turned over and would not start.

Now it will not turn over at all. Pulled the plugs, jacked up one wheel, and tried to get it to move by turning the wheel. No luck. Could the water that got in have frozen it due to rust? Did I possibly create a hydro lock situation and break something? How can I break it loose?

Happened to me three years ago. I'm OCD. Dropped motor, pulled heads. Lots of Marvel Mystery oil. & gentle crank turning. Rebuilt carbs. I see rain hats and tray in your future.

Carlos
+Quote Post
jeffdon
post Apr 2 2017, 12:33 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(cgnj @ Apr 2 2017, 11:29 AM) *

QUOTE(jeffdon @ Apr 2 2017, 11:24 AM) *

Happened to me three years ago. I'm OCD. Dropped motor, pulled heads. Lots of Marvel Mystery oil. & gentle crank turning. Rebuilt carbs. I see rain hats and tray in your future.

Carlos

I did not even have air filters on it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

+Quote Post
jeffdon
post Apr 2 2017, 12:34 PM
Post #4

Does a stock starter have enough torque to break something in the engine if there was water in a cylinder?
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Apr 2 2017, 01:55 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

Get on to it ASAP,remove plugs and put penetrant or diesel(lots )down the plug holes and let it soak then try turning it over for a while to blow the water out....hopefully your cylinder bores haven't rusted to much.
If you get it started check the oil soon after you get it going,I would suggest you change it anyway.
Good luck.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Apr 2 2017, 02:16 PM
Post #6

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

No, the stock starter won't overcome a hydro-locked motor. Where guys get in trouble is when they roll it down a hill and pop the clutch.

The big problem is when you've got water in the combustion chamber and the engine turns over and both valves close.

Pull the plugs and look in the spark plug hole. If you can see water, suck it out one way or another (mechanical device preferred).
+Quote Post
jeffdon
post Apr 2 2017, 02:38 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Apr 2 2017, 01:16 PM) *

No, the stock starter won't overcome a hydro-locked motor. Where guys get in trouble is when they roll it down a hill and pop the clutch.

The big problem is when you've got water in the combustion chamber and the engine turns over and both valves close.

Pull the plugs and look in the spark plug hole. If you can see water, suck it out one way or another (mechanical device preferred).

It has been a few months since I first had the issue. At the time, I thought it was just my crappy old battery. Pushed it into the garage and ignored it. It is only now with a new battery that I am realizing i have a bigger issue.

Just pulled the starter, to see if that was the culprit. Still cannot turn it by hand.
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Apr 2 2017, 03:15 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

QUOTE(jeffdon @ Apr 2 2017, 04:38 PM) *

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Apr 2 2017, 01:16 PM) *

It has been a few months since I first had the issue. At the time, I thought it was just my crappy old battery. Pushed it into the garage and ignored it. It is only now with a new battery that I am realizing i have a bigger issue.

Just pulled the starter, to see if that was the culprit. Still cannot turn it by hand.

Plugs out.... blow out water w/ compressed air.....feed Marvel Mystery into each cylinder...... Select 1st gear... rock car back and forth on flat ground....not
too forceful !.......hope you get lucky

Oh ! one more thing..... remove the alt belt..... they can rust onto the pulleys and stop the engine from turning too
+Quote Post
jeffdon
post Apr 2 2017, 03:44 PM
Post #9

What it really feels like is the time I had a bearing seized on me and it wouldn't turn over. But that was on the previous build this engines been pretty solid
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Apr 2 2017, 04:18 PM
Post #10

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

QUOTE(jeffdon @ Apr 2 2017, 01:44 PM) *

What it really feels like is the time I had a bearing seized on me and it wouldn't turn over. But that was on the previous build this engines been pretty solid

Ohhh. That's not good. If you're engine was hydro-locked, and you have a cylinder that's full of water, you'll probably end up with a broken ring as well.

What Rory said about the MMO is the best approach at this point.
+Quote Post
jeffdon
post Apr 2 2017, 04:37 PM
Post #11

[quote name='Perry Kiehl' date='Apr 2 2017, 03:18 PM' post='2471121']
[quote name='jeffdon' post='2471109' date='Apr 2 2017, 01:44 PM']
[/quote]

Ohhh. That's not good. If you're engine was hydro-locked, and you have a cylinder that's full of water, you'll probably end up with a broken ring as well.

What Rory said about the MMO is the best approach at this point.

Jeez, how much water could have gotten in there?

+Quote Post
r_towle
post Apr 2 2017, 06:47 PM
Post #12

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Did you drain the oil?
Any water in the oil.?

How long did it sit with water in it?
+Quote Post
cgnj
post Apr 2 2017, 07:22 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 403

It's no longer hydro locked, think about it. The water has had more than enough time to drop into the sump thru your ring gaps. Most likely one or more pistons have rings frozen to bore. You can recover., I dropped the motor and pulled the heads, but you may not have to go this far based on my experience. All steps others and I have mentioned. You want to free the rings not break them. I did the marvel, jerk the crank till I freed up the rings. forget the starter, avoid extra work, do it by hand. Put t back together, leak down better than 94%, I was good to go. Don't try to rush it. Or you can go overboard like I did, and add an extra weekend of work. I did rebuild my carbs while I was waiting. My car was sitting like this for 3-6 months before I realize I screwed up. I was able to recover and learned a lesson. Take advantage of my mistake.
+Quote Post
jeffdon
post Apr 2 2017, 10:56 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 2 2017, 05:47 PM) *

Did you drain the oil?
Any water in the oil.?

How long did it sit with water in it?

Nope.
Nope.
And it sat for a few months.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 2 2017, 11:22 PM
Post #15

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Get the water out, pull the plugs and fill the cylinders with diesel, 3-4 days it will free up.
Spin the motor no plugs to get the diesel out.
If you have no water or diesel in the oil replace plugs and see if it will fire up.
If it does likely you lucked out, change the oil and try to get it running proper.

Then don't do that again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
jeffdon
post Apr 3 2017, 09:23 AM
Post #16

Yesterday, I shot some engine oil into the holes. Will try today to see if it turns today.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Apr 3 2017, 09:45 AM
Post #17

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Seafoam is another product that is used in this application.
At this point. You are looking at a teardown. You can try to get it running and hopefully it will not have enough damage be an issue. get it running put a long weekend of driving nearby on it and see how she runs (PS pay up AAA just incase)

It is a Volkswagen and there are stories of this happening and it being fine. The real issue I can see is how much water was in the bottom, Will the cam bearings be ok ? That could be the problem
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jeffdon
post Apr 3 2017, 09:56 AM
Post #18

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 3 2017, 08:45 AM) *

Seafoam is another product that is used in this application.
At this point. You are looking at a teardown. You can try to get it running and hopefully it will not have enough damage be an issue. get it running put a long weekend of driving nearby on it and see how she runs (PS pay up AAA just incase)

It is a Volkswagen and there are stories of this happening and it being fine. The real issue I can see is how much water was in the bottom, Will the cam bearings be ok ? That could be the problem

I gotta think that between the rain hitting the screen in the decklid, and the fact that the throat of the carbs is only about 40mm, there could not be all that much. As of this morning, its not turning by hand. I think I am going to drop the engine today. Ugh.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Apr 3 2017, 10:00 AM
Post #19

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Before you drop the motor do drain it. If there isn't much water there you will not need to pull the motor.
Are you not feeling lucky?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jeffdon
post Apr 3 2017, 10:08 AM
Post #20

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 3 2017, 09:00 AM) *

Before you drop the motor do drain it. If there isn't much water there you will not need to pull the motor.
Are you not feeling lucky?

No, not feeling lucky. I will drain it first. My gut is telling me that I broke a ring. AA pistons and cylinders. I have a hard time thinking I broke anything bigger, like a rod. Or bearing.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 03:20 PM