Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Porsh or Porsh-a?, Be honest, what is it to you?
What do you call them?
Do you think "Porsh" or "Porsh-uh" in your head?
Porsh [ 24 ] ** [15.89%]
Porsh-uh [ 127 ] ** [84.11%]
Total Votes: 151
Guests cannot vote 
Rand
post Apr 3 2017, 01:06 PM
Post #41

Cross Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ3Qk6tqZYs
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
brubou
post Apr 3 2017, 01:44 PM
Post #42

Bruce Bouchard

Member No.: 19,716
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The original question, was how do you say it IN YOUR HEAD. To yourself. How I pronounce Porsche in my head is wallet killer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Calwaterbear
post Apr 3 2017, 01:53 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 18,123
Region Association: Central California

several years ago we were running a 24 hours of Lemons race down in Texas I believe. Some ringers in a Porsh (silent e AFAIC) showed up.

about 6 hours into it they looped it, and I respectfully helped them get back on the proper racing line - just a little lovetap.

For my act of kindness and Bravery, we were called in with the PP (porshe people) and given a penalty. we had to dress up like prisoners, get chained together in a line, and walk through the stands professing our lack of driving skills.

During that scene - I mentioned that the Porsh was a very capable machine handled by uncapable drivers. - oh yeah - this was through a megaphone!

The Porsh people immediately got their panties in a wad - shouting out "thats Porsha - you idiot!

of course that immediately got them into a running shouting match with about 50 Texans who were sure my pronunciation was correct.

I think we ended up 7 or 8 out of 170 on that race, the Porsh people went home all butt hurt after the first day. couldn't handle getting stomped by Neons, Supras, old buicks, jeep cherokees and anyone else on the track that day!
+Quote Post
draganc
post Apr 3 2017, 01:55 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 11,000
Region Association: North East States

actually, i do give a sheit and the mispronunciation of Porsch-E has been driving me nuts for years!

the average joe can pronunciation it either way, it doesn't matter. however, it drives my nuts when I call my local Porsch-E dealer and they answer the phone with Porsch-A(uh). wtf?

if you ask me - which nobody does, the acceptable wrong way would be Porsch.

how da funk did the A/UH ever make it to the end of Porsch?

also, the same sheit when I go to Miel-E. the front-desk lady welcomes me to Miel-A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im2eYuGdmfY

or should it just be "aahn amburger"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz0IT4Uk2xQ
+Quote Post
6freak
post Apr 3 2017, 03:02 PM
Post #45

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(McLovin @ Apr 2 2017, 07:00 PM) *

OK, so after 30+ years of lusting after Porsches, I finally got one.

Despite years of dreaming about them, putting them off because it wasn't time yet, and reading all kinds of literature on them, in my mind, I pronounced it "Porsh". Not "Porsh-uh". Just "Porsh". Many times I heard the words in my head...."McLovin? You need to get you a Porsh".

And here's the thing. I took three years of German in High School and even went to the Porsche Museum once on a trip to Germany.

So now, I'm learning that it's properly pronounced "Porsh-uh", and I'm a Rube, a Heyseed, a backwards individual if I call it a "Porsh". But after 30 years, and now car ownership, I'm having trouble saying "Porsh-uh".

So how do you say it? You know, to yourself. Not out loud?

Porsh or Porsh-uh?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) its a family name
+Quote Post
RichPugh
post Apr 3 2017, 03:32 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 18,068
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I'm sure someone already mentioned it but Porsche a proper noun... a man's (family's) name, pronounced Por-Shuh. There is no argument.

However, there is nothing wrong with saying "Porsh" as an abbreviated version or like a term of endearment. I.e., "I'm gonna take the Porsh to Cars & Coffee tomorrow morning".

Think of it as if you high school geometry teacher was Mr. Janeszewitz" and you'd say "Mornin' Mr. Jans" casually shortening it without any intention to pronounce it correctly.
+Quote Post
RickS
post Apr 3 2017, 09:54 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 5,880

I don't bother to correct people when they mispronounce it, because it seems a bit ahole elitist. But then I don't bother to correct people when they mispronunce my German last name because to me, it just isn't that import. It is always a pleasant surprise tho when someone does know the correct way of saying either because they and I both know we get it.

YMMV
+Quote Post
Rand
post Apr 3 2017, 11:01 PM
Post #48

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Many times I heard the words in my head...."McLovin? You need to get you a Porsh".

When did those voices start happening? What are they saying to you now? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Kickass was a fun movie.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Apr 3 2017, 11:06 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(RickS @ Apr 3 2017, 08:54 PM) *

I don't bother to correct people when they mispronounce it, because it seems a bit ahole elitist...

YMMV

This.

As with folks getting uppity about Frankenswapped 914s in a recent thread, I can't decide how I feel about this subject being discussed on a 914 forum. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

And yes, YMMV indeed!
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Apr 4 2017, 10:01 AM
Post #50

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

ANY word that is pronounced properly shows, respect, care and intelligence. A word miss pronounced because you don't know the proper pronunciation is ignorance. Purposely miss pronouncing a word even though you know the proper pronunciation is laziness and stupidity. If you think that's elitism, re-read the first sentence. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Apr 4 2017, 11:25 AM
Post #51

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

No one says "Dodd Gee" when saying "Dodge". I do not correct anyone on the pronunciation of Porsche, unless they ask.

This thread makes me think of my time working at a grocery store in a small town, we were instructed to be nice, kind, and never insult the customers.

An older lady from way up northeast with a heavy northeast accent came in asking for "bah-lee", I asked "what?" she said louder "BAH-LEE", I said "bah-lee?", she said "YES BAH-LEE!!". Confused and a little frustrated, I said "what do you do with it?". She said "YA KNOW BAH-LEE DONTCHA? YA PUT IT IN SOUP" Realizing she wanted barley, I said "oh yea bah-lee" and showed her where the barley was. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Sometimes it's not what you say, it's how you say it.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Apr 4 2017, 11:31 AM
Post #52

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Shee-a vs. Shay

It's a name. It sure is nice when it's pronounced properly. Why not?
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Apr 4 2017, 12:02 PM
Post #53

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 4 2017, 09:01 AM) *

ANY word that is pronounced properly shows, respect, care and intelligence. A word miss pronounced because you don't know the proper pronunciation is ignorance. Purposely miss pronouncing a word even though you know the proper pronunciation is laziness and stupidity. If you think that's elitism, re-read the first sentence. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I might add a bit of narcissim as to why it would not be important.
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Apr 4 2017, 03:54 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

So 914 teener, when a stranger comes up to you and says, "Wow, that's a beautiful Porsch", do you correct them? What if it were a family member? Really?

If you were taking a trip to Italy, would you tell people you are flying into Roma? If you say Rome, you'd be wrong, then you're a narcissist? Really?
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Apr 4 2017, 04:05 PM
Post #55

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Big Len @ Apr 4 2017, 03:54 PM) *

So 914 teener, when a stranger comes up to you and says, "Wow, that's a beautiful Porsch", do you correct them? What if it were a family member? Really?

If you were taking a trip to Italy, would you tell people you are flying into Roma? If you say Rome, you'd be wrong, then you're a narcissist? Really?

I'd say "Thanks!" with no correction.

(if it were a family member, they'd obviously pronounce it properly) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

When in Rome (Roma)... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Different languages have different pronunciations for the same word. I would think that's universal. I think that's how Porsche developed as a single syllable word in American English. But, having had the opportunity to have lunch with Hans Peter, I'm sure he would appreciate his name being pronounced properly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Apr 4 2017, 04:19 PM
Post #56

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

Agree Eric. We, as Porsche owners, should pronounce it correctly, but there are times when I'm talking fast, I shorten it. It the end, it never bothered me, when someone says Porsch, maybe by the fact that they guessed the marque accurately if it were a stranger. I'm just a bit surprised that some people care much more than that.
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Apr 4 2017, 04:33 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Though a bit taller, Hans Peter is looking more and more like his father as he ages...
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Apr 4 2017, 05:15 PM
Post #58

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 4 2017, 10:31 AM) *

Shee-a vs. Shay

It's a name. It sure is nice when it's pronounced properly. Why not?

So you prefer "Shee-a"? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) kind of name is Shee-a? Is that Arabic? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
My 914
post Apr 4 2017, 06:45 PM
Post #59

Casual Member

Member No.: 19,928
Region Association: North East States

Most people here in eastern Massachusetts say Porsh. I have always said Porsh to myself, probably because that's what I heard growing up, but say Porsh-a when talking to others about the car. I do not correct others about their pronunciation unless they ask me specifically.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 4 2017, 07:27 PM
Post #60

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(mbseto @ Apr 3 2017, 02:29 PM) *

When I lived in Weingarten, there was a little bar on the corner where we would occasionally go have a beer after work. The other American and I were walking through the gate one evening with a couple of the local girls that worked with us. I asked them, "Hey, want to go to the Linde?"

I cannot really describe the look of scorn on the one girl's face, although I am sure there is a very long compound German adjective for this specific situation. She said, "It's not Lind-uh." Note- the "you moron" here is implied, but unmistakable.

"It's Lind-eh." Then she made me say it about fifty times before pronouncing that I would never in my life pass for German. Then we went to the Linde and had a beer.

This one makes me giggle a bit, Linde is my welding gas supplier, German owned multinational company.
They answer the phones as Lind, not Lyn-da or Lyn-dee.

http://www.lindecanada.com/en/index.html

Actually they say Lind Canada.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:49 PM