Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Question on starter and noise, Are we missing a plate perhaps?
NJTom
post Apr 5 2017, 03:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,643
Region Association: None

One step forward two steps back. We started and drove our 1972 project 914. In my book that's a miracle! We put in a rebuilt 1974 2.0, here's the question today. When the starter engages we get sir a split second a loud almost grinding sound. Like I said less than a second. Everything seems fine, my car guy thinks maybe we are missing a plate or spacer that would move the starter off the engine a tiny bit. My other car guy says it will go away as the gears mesh over time. Any thouhsz? This forum has been a God sent! I cannot thank everyone enough!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rand
post Apr 5 2017, 04:03 PM
Post #2

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

QUOTE(NJTom @ Apr 5 2017, 01:57 PM) *

One step forward two steps back. We started and drove our 1972 project 914. In my book that's a miracle! We put in a rebuilt 1974 2.0, here's the question today. When the starter engages we get sir a split second a loud almost grinding sound. Like I said less than a second. Everything seems fine, my car guy thinks maybe we are missing a plate or spacer that would move the starter off the engine a tiny bit. My other car guy says it will go away as the gears mesh over time. Any thouhsz? This forum has been a God sent! I cannot thank everyone enough!

Sounds like it may need some shims. This happened with some of the "high torque" starter replacements... the plunger went too deep. Spacing it back was a fix. It's good that you are questioning it soon, so you can fix it before more damage is done.

+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 5 2017, 04:07 PM
Post #3

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

To begin with; stock starter or some FLAPS starter?
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Apr 5 2017, 04:56 PM
Post #4

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
I put in a high torque starter that did the same thing. One washer shim between the starter and case offset it enough to clear the flywheel.

And congrats on the first start!
+Quote Post
NJTom
post Apr 5 2017, 07:14 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 17,643

QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 5 2017, 02:03 PM) *

QUOTE(NJTom @ Apr 5 2017, 01:57 PM) *

Sounds like it may need some shims. This happened with some of the "high torque" starter replacements... the plunger went too deep. Spacing it back was a fix. It's good that you are questioning it soon, so you can fix it before more damage is done.

Thanks!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 02:19 PM